Member

Default Dodgy British Gas??

Mother in Law had a visit from BG 3* cover people....

Her radiators upstairs are getting hot even though the CH is most certainly off. Hw is on for a couple of hours in the AM and PM.

I was there for their visit - but they told her she urgently needs a system flush and something about an "anti-gravity" valve........and the cost for the "repair"........£599 +VAT.

I had BG telling me I needed a system flush - but I did it myself after hiring the necessary equipment for £100. Do the experts amongst you agree that hot radiators upstairs is down to this - sounds fishy to me (but I really am not an expert!!!!)

Grateful for some advice please

alexbartman wrote:
Mother in Law had a visit from BG 3* cover people....

Her radiators upstairs are getting hot even though the CH is most
certainly off. Hw is on for a couple of hours in the AM and PM.

I was there for their visit - but they told her she urgently needs a
system flush and something about an "anti-gravity" valve........and the
cost for the "repair"........=A3599 +VAT.

Snip

Does she have a service contract with them? If so, why are they trying
to charge her? Does payment for one of these contracts only entitle
you to a visit from salesmen these days?

Either way, the anti gravity valve sounds like snake oil to me. If the
system didn't need one before (unless they are saying it needs
replacing) it surely doesn't need one now.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
alexbartman wrote:
Mother in Law had a visit from BG 3* cover people....

Her radiators upstairs are getting hot even though the CH is most
certainly off. Hw is on for a couple of hours in the AM and PM.

I was there for their visit - but they told her she urgently needs a
system flush and something about an "anti-gravity" valve........and the
cost for the "repair"........£599 +VAT.

Did the system once work correctly? If so, BG should repair the fault. If
she's just moved in and it's a new service contract I doubt they'll
correct a poor installation for free.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

alexbartman wrote:
Mother in Law had a visit from BG 3* cover people....

Her radiators upstairs are getting hot even though the CH is most
certainly off. Hw is on for a couple of hours in the AM and PM.

I was there for their visit - but they told her she urgently needs a
system flush and something about an "anti-gravity" valve........and the
cost for the "repair"........=A3599 +VAT.

I had BG telling me I needed a system flush - but I did it myself after
hiring the necessary equipment for =A3100. Do the experts amongst you
agree that hot radiators upstairs is down to this - sounds fishy to me
(but I really am not an expert!!!!)

Did they explain how this anti-gravity valve will resolve the problem
of the heaters getting hot? If the heaters were not getting hot before
then the problem lies elsewhere.

Dark Angel

wrote in message...
The 'anti gravity' valve does indeed explain why the upstairs rads are
getting hot; I have exactly the same problem at home. The valve jams
open, and so hot water is fed to the rads. even when the CH pump is not
activated.

If the valve is jamming open, surely all that needs to be done is to remove
the actuator from the top of the valve and using a pair of pliers or
suitable spanner twist the valve back and forth to work the innards loose.
The actuator should be able to open and close the valve properly then!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

John

"Dark Angel" wrote in message

wrote in message...
The 'anti gravity' valve does indeed explain why the upstairs rads are
getting hot; I have exactly the same problem at home. The valve jams
open, and so hot water is fed to the rads. even when the CH pump is not
activated.

If the valve is jamming open, surely all that needs to be done is to
remove the actuator from the top of the valve and using a pair of pliers
or suitable spanner twist the valve back and forth to work the innards
loose. The actuator should be able to open and close the valve properly
then!

A dumb check valve is the usual solution i.e. a check valve with a light
spring holding it closed. When the pump is switched on the "push" opens the
valve and the circulation operates. If there is already such a valve it
probably simply needs cleaning and a trace of silicon grease. If there never
was one then one should be fitted at a minimal cost. BG simply try to sell
their vastly inflated powerflush.

Mogweed

"John" wrote in message

"Dark Angel" wrote in message

wrote in message...
[...]

Why do people assume something is wrong with the installation? Our 1970's
built dormer bungalow (and those of the other neighbours and friends we have
on this estate) have central heating systems that were designed and
installed to do just that.

When the timer/controller is set to CH and HW, the pump runs and warms up
the whole house. When it is set to Hot Water Only, the pump does not run so
the downstairs rads do not get hot, but in the process of providing domestic
hot water the upstairs rads all do get hot.

This may or may not be down to dodgy design, dodgy plumbing or whatever but
it is *not* a fault - our system and 29 others just like it have run quite
happily like this since the houses were built in the 70's.

The main (only) problems we have is that all of us only have one tank up in
the loft so that if we have to drain down the system (to take off rads for
decorating or whatever) we cannot add inhibitor or any other chemicals.

Mogweed.

Dark Angel wrote:
wrote in message...
The 'anti gravity' valve does indeed explain why the upstairs rads are
getting hot; I have exactly the same problem at home. The valve jams
open, and so hot water is fed to the rads. even when the CH pump is not
activated.

If the valve is jamming open, surely all that needs to be done is to remove
the actuator from the top of the valve and using a pair of pliers or
suitable spanner twist the valve back and forth to work the innards loose.
The actuator should be able to open and close the valve properly then!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror" - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
"Realm of Horror Radio" - http://www.live365.com/stations/313834

My problem is that the valve appears to be inside the trunking running
from floor to ceiling in the downstairs loo, sod's law dictates that
the trunking was re-tiled just before the fault appreared :-((

tarquinlinbin

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 09:49:44 +0100, alexbartman
wrote:

Mother in Law had a visit from BG 3* cover people....

Her radiators upstairs are getting hot even though the CH is most
certainly off. Hw is on for a couple of hours in the AM and PM.

I was there for their visit - but they told her she urgently needs a
system flush and something about an "anti-gravity" valve........and the
cost for the "repair"........£599 +VAT.

I had BG telling me I needed a system flush - but I did it myself after
hiring the necessary equipment for £100. Do the experts amongst you
agree that hot radiators upstairs is down to this - sounds fishy to me
(but I really am not an expert!!!!)

Grateful for some advice please

the anti gravity valve is probably knackered,they just fall to bits
inside with age/wear and tear. The system flush is another matter.
Maybe it needs it-maybe it doesnt. Chances are they will drain the
system to fit the new AG valve anyway so itll get a partial
flush,albeit with no additives. I;d just have the new valve and no
flush!!

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/

British Gas Bill cheek Andrew Gabriel UK diy 6 December 6th 04 10:10 PM
British Gas service engineer Richard Owen UK diy 28 December 4th 04 08:40 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
Dryer plug for our British treadmill??? doublethegarlic Electronics 3 April 25th 04 07:23 AM
How the US is to make friends & influence tourists.. John Metalworking 37 April 9th 04 05:29 AM