Blair

Default Cordless sterio headphones-Help

I purchased a Philips IR stereo headphone for my wife to use with the TV and
contrary to what I usually do I bought it after talking to a sales person in
Comet without really investigating the system properly. Having got it home
and charged the batteries for 16 hours I tried to connect it to the audio
socket on the TV.
What did I find ! No audio socket! Just a plastic blank where it should have
been
The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an audio
socket fitted.
What can I do know?
Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my TV?
Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder?
Blair

ben

Blair wrote:
I purchased a Philips IR stereo headphone for my wife to use with the
TV and contrary to what I usually do I bought it after talking to a
sales person in Comet without really investigating the system
properly. Having got it home and charged the batteries for 16 hours I
tried to connect it to the audio socket on the TV.
What did I find ! No audio socket! Just a plastic blank where it
should have been
The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an
audio socket fitted.
What can I do know?
Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my TV?
Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder?
Blair

I don't know about these wireless headphones but you can only try to plug
them into the DVD player audio I summising they will work on any audio
output i.e DVD player,PC,Stereo, ect.

ben

ben wrote:
[snip]

I don't know about these wireless headphones but you can only try to
plug them into the DVD player audio I summising they will work on any
audio output i.e DVD player,PC,Stereo, ect.

Hah! do you have a scart socket on TV?

John Schmitt

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:44:05 +0100, ben wrote:

Hah! do you have a scart socket on TV?

My first thought too. High street electrical goods shops carry them.
either that or plumb it in via DVD/video or HIFI. Then you can blow out
your eardrums without annoying the neighbors.

John Schmitt

Blair

"ben" wrote in message
news
ben wrote:
[snip]

I don't know about these wireless headphones but you can only try to
plug them into the DVD player audio I summising they will work on any
audio output i.e DVD player,PC,Stereo, ect.

Hah! do you have a scart socket on TV?

Sorry for the late reply . Yes I do have a scart socket on my TV but it is
used to connect my DVD recorder. But the DVD Recorder has two scart sockets,
one not used.
How does this help?
Blair

Grunff

Blair wrote:

The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an audio
socket fitted.

No, they shouldn't. Any more than they need to tell you to check that
you have mains electricity before purchasing a kettle.

What can I do know?

You can return them.

Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my TV?

Yes. Or use the audio outputs from your scart socket if you have one.

Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder?

Depends what you want to listen to.

--
Grunff
Blair

"Grunff" wrote in message
Blair wrote:

The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an audio
socket fitted.

No, they shouldn't. Any more than they need to tell you to check that
you have mains electricity before purchasing a kettle.

What can I do know?

You can return them.

Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my TV?

Yes. Or use the audio outputs from your scart socket if you have one.

Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder?

Depends what you want to listen to.

--
Grunff

"Or use the audio outputs from your scart socket if you have one"
How do I do this?
Blair

Blair wrote:
I purchased a Philips IR stereo headphone for my wife to use with the TV and
contrary to what I usually do I bought it after talking to a sales person in
Comet without really investigating the system properly. Having got it home
and charged the batteries for 16 hours I tried to connect it to the audio
socket on the TV.
What did I find ! No audio socket! Just a plastic blank where it should have
been
The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an audio
socket fitted.

Why? Headphones obviously require a socket. I assume you are old enough
to take responsibility for your own actions. It's up to you to check.
We don't all appreciate the advancing nanny state of Mr Blair.

What can I do know?

Most high street stores will give you at least a credit note, if not a
full refund, for items bought in error.

Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my TV?
Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder?

Do they have headphone sockets?

MBQ

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:36:05 +0100, "Blair" wrote:

I purchased a Philips IR stereo headphone for my wife to use with the TV and
contrary to what I usually do I bought it after talking to a sales person in
Comet without really investigating the system properly. Having got it home
and charged the batteries for 16 hours I tried to connect it to the audio
socket on the TV.
What did I find ! No audio socket! Just a plastic blank where it should have
been
The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an audio
socket fitted.
What can I do know?
Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my TV?
Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder?

I used a scart to phono socket lead into which I plugged a phono plug
to 3.5mm socket lead.

This had the advantage that you could adjust the speaker volume of the
set without affecting the headphone volume.

(I believe you can buy scart to 3.5mm socket leads as well)

sponix
Blair

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that information. I can now go back to Comet and ask them for
scart to socket lead that will fit my ear phone plug.
I have a spare scart socket on my DVD Recorder
Blair

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Blair wrote:
I purchased a Philips IR stereo headphone for my wife to use with the TV
and contrary to what I usually do I bought it after talking to a sales
person in Comet without really investigating the system properly. Having
got it home and charged the batteries for 16 hours I tried to connect it
to the audio socket on the TV. What did I find ! No audio socket! Just a
plastic blank where it should have been

Is there a SCART socket? These will usually have sound outputs as well as
inputs.

The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an audio
socket fitted.

Don't see why - it's pretty obvious.

What can I do know? Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my TV?

Anything is possible. But it would likely be cheaper to buy a new TV.

Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder?

Presumably you've looked to see if they have an 'audio socket'?

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Schmitt

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:48:21 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

[TV - phono]

Is there a SCART socket? These will usually have sound outputs as well as
inputs.

My television has a pop-out panel in the side which delivers phono and I
believe a 3.5 jack socket. I went down the SCART route.

John Schmitt

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Schmitt wrote:
Is there a SCART socket? These will usually have sound outputs as well
as inputs.

My television has a pop-out panel in the side which delivers phono and I
believe a 3.5 jack socket. I went down the SCART route.

I suppose using the headphone 3.5mm output would allow some control over
the input level to the transmitter? But then you'd have ugly cabling out
of the front of the set?

At long last I've got a set with plenty of aux inputs. 3 SCARTS - all RGB,
S-Video and composite. 2 S-Video. Two composite. One computer D socket.
One HDTV - can't remember the name.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Blair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Blair wrote:
[...]

My DVD Recorder is connected to my TV via a Scart Socket. There are 4
outlets for Video but my connector does not fit them.
Blair

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Blair wrote:
Is there a SCART socket? These will usually have sound outputs as well
as inputs.

The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an
audio socket fitted.

Don't see why - it's pretty obvious.

What can I do know? Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my
TV?

Anything is possible. But it would likely be cheaper to buy a new TV.

Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder?

Presumably you've looked to see if they have an 'audio socket'?

My DVD Recorder is connected to my TV via a Scart Socket. There are 4
outlets for Video but my connector does not fit them. Blair

If your TV has only the one SCART and you're using it for the DVD, get a
two into one SCART adaptor from Maplin etc, and a SCART lead with a
suitable output for your headphone transmitter.

To explain. SCART connectors have audio - and video - in and out. So
although you're using your TV SCART as an input, it can also be used to
supply an audio output at the same time.

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Blair

Blair wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave, your suggestion looks like the best solution. Will now search
Maplin
Blair

raden

In message , Blair
writes
I purchased a Philips IR stereo headphone for my wife to use with the TV and
contrary to what I usually do I bought it after talking to a sales person in
Comet without really investigating the system properly. Having got it home
and charged the batteries for 16 hours I tried to connect it to the audio
socket on the TV.
What did I find ! No audio socket! Just a plastic blank where it should have
been
The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an audio
socket fitted.

Do you expect the checkout girl at the supermarket to check that you
have a cooker when you buy a joint for roasting ?

What can I do know?
Is it possible to fit an audio card/socket to my TV?
Or can it be connected to the DVD player/recorder?
Blair

--
geoff
Blair

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Blair
writes
I purchased a Philips IR stereo headphone for my wife to use with the TV

and
contrary to what I usually do I bought it after talking to a sales person

in
Comet without really investigating the system properly. Having got it

home
and charged the batteries for 16 hours I tried to connect it to the audio
socket on the TV.
What did I find ! No audio socket! Just a plastic blank where it should

have
been
The sales person should have said please check that your TV has an audio
socket fitted.

Do you expect the checkout girl at the supermarket to check that you
have a cooker when you buy a joint for roasting ?

You are of course correct and I stand corrected
Blair