P.R.Brady

Default Odd radiator bleed screw

I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Phil

fred

In article , P.R.Brady
writes
I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Looks like a sheared off one to me, does the (brass) end look rough and
how does it compare to the other bleed valves in the house. Replacement
is easy would mean a drain down.
--
fred
Rob Morley

In article , says...
I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Looks like it's sheared off.
Rob Morley

In article , says...
In article , P.R.Brady
writes
I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Looks like a sheared off one to me, does the (brass) end look rough and
how does it compare to the other bleed valves in the house. Replacement
is easy would mean a drain down.

Why would you need to drain anything?
fred

In article , Rob
Morley writes
In article , says...
In article , P.R.Brady
writes
I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Looks like a sheared off one to me, does the (brass) end look rough and
how does it compare to the other bleed valves in the house. Replacement
is easy would mean a drain down.

Why would you need to drain anything?

You're quite right, was prob thinking rad valve, just needs to turn off both
rad valves and be prepared to catch a half pint or so when undoing the
offending plug or expect a bit of hissing if it the rad needs bleeding. If a trv
is fitted then setting it to zero should turn it off in this weather.
--
fred

P.R.Brady

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , says...

I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Looks like it's sheared off.

Thanks all. As I feared! The end of the little brass bit looked quite
smooth though.
Phil

Set Square

P.R.Brady wrote:

I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Phil

Like others have said, it appears to have sheared off. If you close *both*
valves on the rad, you should be able to unscrew and replace the whole
assembly (the big hexagon in your photo) with very little water spillage.
Your assembly almost certainly has a 1/2" BSP thread.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.R.Brady
I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Phil
The bleed screw has been snapped off but there is No Need to change it for now.

Get a spanner to fit it and undo the large nut itself to bleed the radiator!
Set Square

weekendwarrior wrote:

P.R.Brady Wrote:
I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Phil

The bleed screw has been snapped off but there is No Need to change it
for now.

Get a spanner to fit it and undo the large nut itself to bleed the
radiator!

*Not* a very good idea! You'll have to more or less remove it to get any air
out - and will then have a flood when the rad is full! Besides which it will
need re-sealing with PTFE tape when you've finished.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set Square
weekendwarrior wrote:

P.R.Brady Wrote:
I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Phil

The bleed screw has been snapped off but there is No Need to change it
for now.

Get a spanner to fit it and undo the large nut itself to bleed the
radiator!

*Not* a very good idea! You'll have to more or less remove it to get any air
out - and will then have a flood when the rad is full! Besides which it will
need re-sealing with PTFE tape when you've finished.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______
I have done this in the past when the bleed screw has been damaged by the previous owners, with no problems at all!

Did not have to remove the it completely to bleed it and never had a flood either!

P.R.Brady

P.R.Brady wrote:
I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw or is it an unconventional
bleed mechanism? It doesn't budge if I try and push it in.

Phil

Thanks for all the replies. I replaced two bleed mechanisms last night.
As everyone thought, they were sheared off as was made clear once I
could get them under good lighting. By closing off both radiator valves
they were fitted without a single drop of water spilt.

One minor glitch - one of the fittings had no flange on the outside so I
had to put a few turns of ptfe on the inside and increasingly more turns
on the outside to get it to tighten. I assume that's the usual technique.

Phil

fred wrote:
Rob writes
says...
P.R.Brady writes
I want to bleed a radiator but all I see is this:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/is/iss025/bleed.jpg
Is it the remains of a broken bleed screw ...

.. just turn off both rad valves and be prepared to catch a half pint
or so when undoing the offending plug
If a trv is fitted then setting it to zero should turn it off in this
weather.

Be careful with this. I thought the same, and turned off my TRV to take
off the rad to paint behind it.

Came down next morning to a minor lake [1] in the hall where the TRV
had seeped overnight, not much, but enough.

Cheers

Paul.

[1] Thankfully the wood floor isn't down in there yet ;-)