Default cavity wall

What is the standard width of a cavity wall. I am thinking of using a
twin skin of breeze blocks. Are there any particular construction
methods that should be followed?

Weatherlawyer

Rick wrote:

block 100, gap 100, block 100

And the maximum swidth of window board is?

Last job I was on the other carpenter put that 9" stuff on deep set
windows in a barn conversion. Even with 2" cavity these days, after
insulation and dabbing plasterboards, the width of window board you are
looking at has to be nearer 11".

Rick

On 31 Aug 2005 12:17:20 -0700, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

Rick wrote:

block 100, gap 100, block 100

And the maximum swidth of window board is?

Last job I was on the other carpenter put that 9" stuff on deep set
windows in a barn conversion. Even with 2" cavity these days, after
insulation and dabbing plasterboards, the width of window board you are
looking at has to be nearer 11".

What exactly is windowboard ?

My walls are 350-450mm stone 100-200mm gap, 100mm block, and still
unfinished. do I have troubble on the horizon ?

Thanks
Rick
Jeff

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the standard width of a cavity wall. I am thinking of using a
twin skin of breeze blocks. Are there any particular construction
methods that should be followed?

well mine is half built at the minute and is 4 inch brick, 65mm gap, 100mm
block

Regards Jeff

Michael Mcneil

"Rick" wrote in message

What exactly is window-board ?

Cill board. It brings the bottom edge of the window out past the
interior wall. It is usually made of mdf. Sold in standard lengths of 10
metres or something like that. You can get thinner but I think the
widest stock size is only 9 or 9 3/4 inches.

My walls are 350-450mm stone 100-200mm gap, 100mm block, and still
unfinished. Do I have troubble on the horizon?

No, you just buy a suitable wide board of a finish you like (such as an
8 x 4 MDF or 3/4 ply or anything you wish, floor board even.)

Then there is any "setting" liquid finish you like from concrete to
artex. Bits of sawn up, priceless, irreplaceable antique.

Anything you like. I suggest tile.
Then there is quarry tile, paving slab, glass, mosaics of stolen
jewelry, sawn up sea shells. You name it. Put thin stuff on 1/2 inch
plasterboard. Use an edging strip as thick as the board and the surface.

Be inventive and don't panic. It's not my house.

Jeff wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the standard width of a cavity wall. I am thinking of using a
twin skin of breeze blocks. Are there any particular construction
methods that should be followed?

well mine is half built at the minute and is 4 inch brick, 65mm gap, 100mm
block

Regards Jeff

Yep ,
I asked my BCO and thats what he wanted aswell. Not forgetting the
insulation.