Flummoxed

Default Unusual flushing mechanism

Hi folks, a quick question. Today I just saw a lavatory cistern that
had a strange flushing mechanism (well it was strange to me anyway, I
hadn't seen one before). There was push button to flush the toilet,
and I had a peep at it as far as I could, and saw it had a sort of
plastic tube that connected to the flushing mechanism somehow. It seems
as if pushing the button would just push some air down the tube and
start the flush. Any idea how this works?

I wasn't able to see inside the cistern, but I wonder if this type of
flushing mechanism is reliable, i.e. do they experience any particular
problems compared to the "traditional" syphon flush?

I'm interested because I hope soon to do up our bathroom so I will be
looking to replace everything, including the lavatory cistern etc. and
I'd be interested in this type of flush if they're any good.

Any experience or advice on this type of flush, vs. the "traditional"
type, would be welcome.

TIA

Flummoxed

Set Square

Flummoxed wrote:

[...]

A lot of the bathroom suites sold by the sheds have got this type of flush
these days. If it's like mine, there is a large vertical tube up the centre
of the cistern, the bottom of which is connected to the outlet. When the
cistern is full, this tube is surrounded by water. pressing the button opens
a valve at the bottom of the tube, allowing the water to enter the tube and
flow into the pan. As I see it, this type has advantages and disadvantages
compared with conventional syphons.

Advantages
* Cheap
* Doesn't need a separate overflow (if the water overflows it enters the top
of the tube and runs into the pan)

Disadvantages
* The flush valve may leak and waste water
* No external evidence of overflowing - again wasting water

I'm sure there are others . . .
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dave Fawthrop

On 28 Aug 2005 09:48:41 -0700, "Flummoxed" wrote:

| Hi folks, a quick question. Today I just saw a lavatory cistern that
| had a strange flushing mechanism (well it was strange to me anyway, I
| hadn't seen one before). There was push button to flush the toilet,
| and I had a peep at it as far as I could, and saw it had a sort of
| plastic tube that connected to the flushing mechanism somehow. It seems
| as if pushing the button would just push some air down the tube and
| start the flush. Any idea how this works?
|
| I wasn't able to see inside the cistern, but I wonder if this type of
| flushing mechanism is reliable, i.e. do they experience any particular
| problems compared to the "traditional" syphon flush?
|
| I'm interested because I hope soon to do up our bathroom so I will be
| looking to replace everything, including the lavatory cistern etc. and
| I'd be interested in this type of flush if they're any good.
|
| Any experience or advice on this type of flush, vs. the "traditional"
| type, would be welcome.

Got one of those, and it has worked OK for a year. The insides have a
normal siphon, and half volume siphon, and are not drastically different
from a normal one.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
Alan

I had one of those fitted to the bathroom in my previous house - it
seemed to be ok, other than it was harder to keep the 'button' clean
compared to a traditional handle. The other advantage it had was that
by holding the button down until the flush finished you got a 'half'
flush - usefull for flushing away non-bodily waste and not having to
waste a full cistern of water.

As others have said - not as obvious when you were in an overflow
situation, but then again, you don't end up with dribbling water
pouring out the external overflow, which as such a low flow usually
ends up leaving a nice water mark down the exterior wall.

Toilet not flushing 'Hard enough" Jim Home Repair 9 December 9th 04 02:35 PM
Eject Mechanism on Sony Digicam - Please Help! Tilman Electronics Repair 4 April 14th 04 11:17 AM
Folding door mechanism PoP UK diy 3 February 12th 04 06:21 PM
flushing cat litter down toilet - should landlord forbid this? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 28 November 21st 03 06:18 PM
power flushing Andy Hall UK diy 4 September 9th 03 11:59 PM