Senior Member

Default Plastering query cracking

Did a bit of plastering the other day. Put undercoat on to normal depth, but it cracked/crazed and went off very quickly. Am I right in thinking it was because to backing wall was too dry and sucked the moisture out?very

Last edited by Cordless Crazy : August 25th 05 at 10:21 AM Reason: doubled up
Alex

Cordless Crazy wrote:
Did a bit of plastering the other day. Put undercoat on to normal depth,
but it cracked/crazed and went off very quickly. Am I right in thinking
it was because to backing wall was too dry and sucked the moisture
out?very

You might try a better Subject line

alex

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Cordless Crazy writes:

Did a bit of plastering the other day. Put undercoat on to normal depth,
but it cracked/crazed and went off very quickly. Am I right in thinking
it was because to backing wall was too dry and sucked the moisture
out?very

Possibly. Another reason could be you did it too thick in one
coat. Plaster shrinks anyway as it goes off which you normally
don't notice as the layer just gets thinner, but if the layer
is too think, it can crack across too.

This doesn't necessarily matter as long as it's not loose. The
cracks will provide more key for the finish coat.

Going off too quickly can be due to high temperature or old plaster.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Treated Bearer 4 Garden Shed Query? [email protected] UK diy 5 June 13th 05 09:20 PM
Drawing garden Shed Biffy Woodworking 6 June 2nd 05 11:43 PM
Building a long wooden shed Graeme UK diy 3 October 1st 04 11:57 PM
existing base for garden shed....break it? john west++++ UK diy 2 October 9th 03 01:47 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM