John Reed

Default Plumbing questions

Hi,

Can anyone please help me with the following ?

1) Can bare copper pipe be buried (viz. with cement & plaster rendering
afterwards) in a brick partition wall ? If not, what protection measures
should be taken/are available ?

2) Same conditions. Can heavy duty plastic (1/2 inch) be used ? What
would be it`s estimated lifespan ?

3) I realise mixing galvanised iron and copper pipe is normally a no-no
If there are circumstances that make this imperative, what measures (if
any) can be taken to reduce corrosion effects ?

4) Can builders foam be used as an effective pipe sealer/protector when
installing in a wall ?

You may gather from the above that I`m stuck with having to renew
H&C supplies originally laid in walls and floors.

TIA.
--
Regards, John Reed

vandelay

1) Can bare copper pipe be buried (viz. with cement & plaster rendering
afterwards) in a brick partition wall ? If not, what protection measures
should be taken/are available ?

There's something called something like Dobbo tape which I *think*
British Gas has tested and cleared for use when burying pipes. I think
you wrap it around the pipe. It's basically a fabric tape, around 5in
wide, which is coated in a weird kind of grease. It's water resistant
and very messy to use.

Not sure if it's called Dobbo. Something like that. It's cheap stuff and
sometimes recommended for fixing leaks in water pipes as a temporary
solution.

IMM

"vandelay" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:00:28 +0000 (UTC), vandelay
wrote:

1) Can bare copper pipe be buried (viz. with cement & plaster rendering
afterwards) in a brick partition wall ? If not, what protection

measures
should be taken/are available ?

There's something called something like Dobbo tape which I *think*
British Gas has tested and cleared for use when burying pipes. I think
you wrap it around the pipe. It's basically a fabric tape, around 5in
wide, which is coated in a weird kind of grease. It's water resistant
and very messy to use.

Not sure if it's called Dobbo. Something like that. It's cheap stuff and
sometimes recommended for fixing leaks in water pipes as a temporary
solution.

Denso. But I am not sure that it is up to the task of fixing water
leaks, or that it is approved (any more - it used to be) for wrapping
gas pipes for burial in masonry
.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

That's the one. I found this PDF file describing using Denso to coat
water pipes which are to be encased in concrete.

http://www.denso.net/P1P2new.pdf (the rest of the www.denso.net site is
interesting too).

I'm fairly sure that Denso is approved by British Gas for burying pipes.
I'm just not sure if that's for copper pipes.

There is special plastic pipes that come complete with outer sleeve. You
roll it into the floor. If the pipe fails it came be threaded out and new
one threaded back. Use this, as this is the regs now.

---

vandelay

IMM wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Good point - use plastic pipe. If it#s 15mm pipe you're after, and live
in the high peak, I can sort you out with some for free.

IMM

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

"vandelay" wrote in message
1) Can bare copper pipe be buried (viz. with cement & plaster

rendering
afterwards) in a brick partition wall ? If not, what protection

measures
should be taken/are available ?

There's something called something like Dobbo tape which I *think*

Denso tape - it's an anticorrosive tape - a bit like crepe bandage covered
with green grease.
Typical use is copper pipe that is going to be buried in concrete/screed

it stops alkali in cement attacking the copper.

Typically gas pipe - where it has a PVC sheath - if you joint it, you wrap
the joint in Denso.

BTW ... the grease on the tape makes your hands feel great - must be Corgi
hand cream !

It is lanolin. Denzo I believe is banned now.

---

Plumbing Waste Anomaly Grunff UK diy 8 August 10th 03 11:35 AM
very dumb first attempt at plumbing questions fireblade UK diy 10 July 25th 03 10:03 PM
Unvented HW & CH System Questions Kevin Walton UK diy 4 July 23rd 03 12:37 PM
Trying to understand my plumbing system Richard Clay UK diy 3 July 12th 03 12:19 AM