John Rumm

Default Another draft section for the power tool FAQ - Biscuit Jointers

For peer review:

http://www.internode.co.uk/diyfaq/biscuit.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:43:58 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

For peer review:

http://www.internode.co.uk/diyfaq/biscuit.htm

Nice article, John. I think that you've picked the main areas of
importance - accuracy and control are the most important, IME.

A few comments:

- One of the main attributes of biscuit jointing is to be able control
alignment of the joint vertically while having a small degree of
horizontal adjustment.

- Some jointers have a vertical adjustment as well which can be used
to centre the blade in various thicknesses of material or to align
when joints are between different thicknesses of material

- You can also get clamping plates, joining elements and hinges made
from plastic or metal which can be used with the biscuit jointer for
various purposes. www.lamello.com

- As well as side to side jointing of boards, you can use biscuit
jointing for light frame assembly

- As always, read the reviews. There have been disappointing
products from manufacturers like DeWalt and Porter Cable who normally
make good stuff.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

A few comments:

- One of the main attributes of biscuit jointing is to be able control
alignment of the joint vertically while having a small degree of
horizontal adjustment.

- Some jointers have a vertical adjustment as well which can be used
to centre the blade in various thicknesses of material or to align
when joints are between different thicknesses of material

Ah, I assumed they all did this... (all the ones I have seens so far
have allowed height adjustment) - I would have thought that is a "must
have" really.

- You can also get clamping plates, joining elements and hinges made
from plastic or metal which can be used with the biscuit jointer for
various purposes. www.lamello.com

Yup, will add that - I was forgetting that things with biscuit fittings
are begining to appear.

- As well as side to side jointing of boards, you can use biscuit
jointing for light frame assembly

I waas trying to imply that - perhaps I should spell it out a bit more
clearly.

- As always, read the reviews. There have been disappointing
products from manufacturers like DeWalt and Porter Cable who normally
make good stuff.

Good point.

OK try the version there now...

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:29:46 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

A few comments:

- One of the main attributes of biscuit jointing is to be able control
alignment of the joint vertically while having a small degree of
horizontal adjustment.

- Some jointers have a vertical adjustment as well which can be used
to centre the blade in various thicknesses of material or to align
when joints are between different thicknesses of material

Ah, I assumed they all did this... (all the ones I have seens so far
have allowed height adjustment) - I would have thought that is a "must
have" really.

I've seen some very low end ones that don't have anything. Some
slightly better ones have *some* adjustment, but it's usually a slide
aith a knurled wheel to lock it and a crude scale. No easy
repeatability. Products like the Porter Cable 557 and DeWalt 682
have a fine adjustment knob but the scale is still crude. The Lamello
TOP20 has a detented control adjustable in 0.1mm increments and
repeatable.

- You can also get clamping plates, joining elements and hinges made
from plastic or metal which can be used with the biscuit jointer for
various purposes. www.lamello.com

Yup, will add that - I was forgetting that things with biscuit fittings
are begining to appear.

- As well as side to side jointing of boards, you can use biscuit
jointing for light frame assembly

I waas trying to imply that - perhaps I should spell it out a bit more
clearly.

- As always, read the reviews. There have been disappointing
products from manufacturers like DeWalt and Porter Cable who normally
make good stuff.

Good point.

For example, the PC 557 has had an issue where the antislip doesn't
work properly and the machine moves around too easily. Fixed now, I
believe.

The DW682 has a problem with the angle fence - it's 2 degrees out.

OK try the version there now...

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mr Fuxit

I dont understand the comment about squeezing the handles together to
avoid putting too much pressure on flimsy sections.

david lang

John Rumm wrote:
For peer review:

http://www.internode.co.uk/diyfaq/biscuit.htm

Nice one John.

Apart from ensuring the top surface is flush, the other advantage is the
lateral adjustment e.g. side to side.

Dave

John Rumm

Mr Fuxit wrote:

I dont understand the comment about squeezing the handles together to
avoid putting too much pressure on flimsy sections.

OK reworded. See if that makes more sense.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

david lang wrote:

Apart from ensuring the top surface is flush, the other advantage is the
lateral adjustment e.g. side to side.

Yup, Andy mentioned that and I forgot to add it... well spotted!

OK it is there now.

--
Cheers,

John.

Phil Addison

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:43:58 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm
wrote:

For peer review:

http://www.internode.co.uk/diyfaq/biscuit.htm

Noted, and the sanders one, and following with interest.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Rumm

Phil Addison wrote:

Noted, and the sanders one, and following with interest.

Just to complicate your life still further, I have made a couple of
tweaks to the following existing files:

jigsaw.htm
sds.htm
drill.htm
intro.htm

All files in:

http://www.internode.co.uk/diyfaq

(there is no index.htm in the above directory - so you ought to get a
straight listing)

no great changes, but the language was a bit hammy in places - hopefully
it reads better now! (and fewer references to cheese!)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Schmitt

Andy Hall wrote:

For peer review:

http://www.internode.co.uk/diyfaq/biscuit.htm

Nice article, John. I think that you've picked the main areas of
importance - accuracy and control are the most important, IME.

I tried emailing, but somewhere, something prevented me. I would include
"diamond" in brackets after the word "lozenge" and emphasise the need
for tightly fixing the fence. If it drifts, well, it will end in expletives.

John Schmitt

John Schmitt

John Rumm wrote:

sds.htm
drill.htm

As Clive Elsmore wrote the majority of it,
http://www.axp.mdx.ac.uk/~john49/drillfaq.htm
really belongs with those two. You are welcome to adopt it, as that
seems to make sense to me. That is as long as Clive is happy with that.

John Schmitt

John Rumm

John Schmitt wrote:

I tried emailing, but somewhere, something prevented me. I would include
"diamond" in brackets after the word "lozenge" and emphasise the need

Perhaps I will go photograph some for inclusion! ;-)

for tightly fixing the fence. If it drifts, well, it will end in
expletives.

Let me guess: Don't ask you how you know!

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

John Schmitt wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

sds.htm
drill.htm

As Clive Elsmore wrote the majority of it,
http://www.axp.mdx.ac.uk/~john49/drillfaq.htm
really belongs with those two. You are welcome to adopt it, as that
seems to make sense to me. That is as long as Clive is happy with that.

There does not seem to be much overlap either, since my faq is on the
machines and the drilling one is on the bits and techniques....

Perhaps just adding a link in the relevant places may suffice?

--
Cheers,

John.

John Schmitt

John Rumm wrote:

http://www.axp.mdx.ac.uk/~john49/drillfaq.htm

Perhaps just adding a link in the relevant places may suffice?

Suits me.

John Schmitt

Phil Addison

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:46:32 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Schmitt
wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

sds.htm
drill.htm

As Clive Elsmore wrote the majority of it,
http://www.axp.mdx.ac.uk/~john49/drillfaq.htm
really belongs with those two. You are welcome to adopt it, as that
seems to make sense to me. That is as long as Clive is happy with that.

I have an email address for Clive; I'll ask him.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Phil Addison

wrote:

For peer review:

http://www.internode.co.uk/diyfaq/biscuit.htm

Under Alternative Approach, it says "Since the diameter of the router
cutter is much smaller than a real jointing blade, you can not get the
required pocket with a single plunge either; the router will need to be
slid laterally along the slot axis to widen the slot to a suitable
width. "

Is it not true that a BJ, oo-err biscuit jointer, also needs sliding
along? I have not used one myself, but seeing as the biscuits are oval*
and the blade circular, surely you must either make an overly deep
circular slot, or run the cutter along the work to produce a flat
bottomed slot (an oval)?

*not really oval. Is there a name for that almond shape?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Eric The Viking

wrote:

For peer review:

http://www.internode.co.uk/diyfaq/biscuit.htm

Under Alternative Approach, it says "Since the diameter of the router
cutter is much smaller than a real jointing blade, you can not get the
required pocket with a single plunge either; the router will need to be
slid laterally along the slot axis to widen the slot to a suitable
width. "

Is it not true that a BJ, oo-err biscuit jointer, also needs sliding
along? I have not used one myself, but seeing as the biscuits are oval*
and the blade circular, surely you must either make an overly deep
circular slot, or run the cutter along the work to produce a flat
bottomed slot (an oval)?

No, the radius of a biscuit jointer blade is about the same as the effective
radius of a biscuit. In other words, if you place a biscuit on top of a
jointer blade the curves will be about the same.

With a biscuit jointer you don't plunge it all the way in - only enough to
create the pocket for the size biscuit you are using.

No need to slide a biscuit jointer - just to set the depth for the size
biscuit you want.

ETV

Phil Addison

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:10:32 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Eric The Viking" wrote:

"Phil Addison" wrote

[...]

Thanks for that - I didn't realize the cutters were so large a diameter.
That explains why the biscuits are the almond shape too - to make a nice
snug fit in a plunged pocket.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Rumm

Phil Addison wrote:

Thanks for that - I didn't realize the cutters were so large a diameter.

Yup, they have a 4" diameter to match the biscuits:

That explains why the biscuits are the almond shape too - to make a nice
snug fit in a plunged pocket.

That's the plan. Part of the reason why they are so quick to use. Test
fit the bits and draw a pencil line across each position you want a
biscuit. Then you can cut each slot at the line in a couple of seconds
each since it just requires aligning with your pencil mark and pushing
the jointer into to it reaches its plunge stop, let go, do next pocket.

--
Cheers,

John.