David Pearson

Default Replace singe breeze-block - mortar substitute?

Evenin' All.

I have to replace a single block at the top of a wall.

I could buy a bag of cement and get a tiny bit out and
mix it with a bit of sand and so on, but that would be
a pain in the neck for such a small job, and it is hard
to mix accurately such small quantities. And I would
have to chop off the old mortar to make space for
the new.

Is there something in a plastic pot or tube that would
cost very little, that would do the job? Let's call it
"No More Mortar" and copyright the name, so the
next one has to be called "Sod Mortar" and so on...

BTW, the only load it will have to bear is a batton/noggin
thingy for the edge of a plasterboard ceiling.

Yours Without A Clue,
D. Pearson

Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:33:28 +0000 (UTC), David Pearson wrote:

Is there something in a plastic pot

PVA
--
Nigel M
Christian McArdle

I could buy a bag of cement and get a tiny bit out and
mix it with a bit of sand and so on, but that would be
a pain in the neck for such a small job, and it is hard
to mix accurately such small quantities. And I would
have to chop off the old mortar to make space for
the new.

You can buy bags of ready mixed bricklaying mortar (i.e. just add water).
Still 25kg bags, but at least you don't have to measure it out, and they're
pretty cheap. If you're lucky you might find a 10kg (or even 5kg) bag, but
I'd be surprised.

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:

You can buy bags of ready mixed bricklaying mortar (i.e. just add water).
Still 25kg bags, but at least you don't have to measure it out, and they're
pretty cheap. If you're lucky you might find a 10kg (or even 5kg) bag, but
I'd be surprised.

My little local hardware store sells small bags.
However, it's damp sand and a separate sealed sachet
of cement inside, so you still have to mix it yourself.

--
Andrew Gabriel

David Pearson

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:33:28 +0000 (UTC), David Pearson wrote:

Is there something in a plastic pot

This sounds like good news - thanks Nigel.

Now... do I...

(a) coat both porous surfaces and join them together, or
(b) seal surfaces first with diluted PVA, allow to dry,
then do (a),

.... or something else?

Thanks,
DP.

BTW, is PVA the stuff that kids use at school?

David Pearson

"David Pearson" wrote in message

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:33:28 +0000 (UTC), David Pearson wrote:

Is there something in a plastic pot

This sounds like good news - thanks Nigel.

Blimey, I deleted what Nigel had said!
He suggested PVA. So...

Now... do I...

(a) coat both porous surfaces and join them together, or
(b) seal surfaces first with diluted PVA, allow to dry,
then do (a),

... or something else?

Thanks,
DP.

BTW, is PVA the stuff that kids use at school?

Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:27:29 +0000 (UTC), David Pearson wrote:

(a) coat both porous surfaces and join them together, or
(b) seal surfaces first with diluted PVA, allow to dry,
then do (a),

(b) is better, but (a) will do.

You can buy PVA in 1 or 5 litre containers at most builders merchants.

--
Nigel M

B&Q and Wickes both sell smallish bags of pre-mixed mortar, suitable
for small patching or repointing DIY jobs. Just add water.

Bruce

I've just bought a 12.5kg pack from Wickes -- Repointing and Patching
mortar.

B&Q do a Rugby ready-mixed pack which is about 5kg as far as I
remember.

Bruce

Martin Bonner

Steve Firth wrote:
Huge wrote:

I'm tired of buying 25kilo bags of mortar mix for small
jobs. And if you keep it hanging around the cement goes off and the damn stuff
won't set any more.

We have to use lime mortar for the main building. Which is actually much
better than sand and cement. We used to buy it in large (25kg) tubs from
the lime center and it doesn't go off at all in the tub. Use some,
reaseal it, leave it in the garden for months, open and use again as
necessary.

Now however the lime center people have gone weirda dn will only sell
dry sacks of the stuff, and that's as bad as sand and cement.

Anyone know where to get fine stuff/coarse stuff and lime putty in tubs?

This is the point where we really need Anna Kettle.

I've always got lime putty from Anglia Lime (they're only a few miles
from me). It HAS been a while since I bought any.

David Pearson

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:27:29 +0000 (UTC), David Pearson wrote:

(a) coat both porous surfaces and join them together, or
(b) seal surfaces first with diluted PVA, allow to dry,
then do (a),

(b) is better, but (a) will do.

You can buy PVA in 1 or 5 litre containers at most builders merchants.

Thanks very much Nigel, and everyone else who replied.

Looks like PVA is the way to go for this job, as the
mortar is not smashed/crumbled, just split. I.e. there are no
gaps, just surfaces to join together.

Cheers,
David P.