david lang

Default Makro Clamps

Hi

Makro have a set of four clamps on offer at the moment for £4:99 +VAT.

Having bought a set today - don't touch them with a barge pole - tried them
out and the triggers snapped on 3 out of 4 without putting anything more
than a firm handshake pressure on.

Mine are going back.

Dave

John Rumm

david lang wrote:

Hi

Makro have a set of four clamps on offer at the moment for £4:99 +VAT.

Having bought a set today - don't touch them with a barge pole - tried them
out and the triggers snapped on 3 out of 4 without putting anything more
than a firm handshake pressure on.

They also have a slightly more useful set of spring clamps (rather like
large crock clips) at the same price. There are about 12 in the set
(three sizes) plus three tatty g gramps. Nothing special, but good
enough for holding trim etc. while glue dries.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:56:47 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Hi

Makro have a set of four clamps on offer at the moment for £4:99 +VAT.

Having bought a set today - don't touch them with a barge pole - tried them
out and the triggers snapped on 3 out of 4 without putting anything more
than a firm handshake pressure on.

Mine are going back.

Dave

You don't say what type these are Dave, but if it's a trigger type
that you are looking for, both the Quick Grip and Wolf ones are fairly
reasonable.

Quick Grip are quite readily available - I've seen them in B&Q and
Axminster carry them. Wolf ones periodically show up in teh DIY
sheds often on offer, and they are also quite reasonable and generally
cheaper.

None of these types are as good as the substantial clamps like Bessey
K series,(don't have the price tag either) but for light to medium
work, they are OK.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:
You don't say what type these are Dave, but if it's a trigger type
that you are looking for, both the Quick Grip and Wolf ones are fairly
reasonable.

Hi Andy - they are the trigger type you can use as a spreader. They look
like Quick Grip or Wolf, but are just crap quality.

Shame really. I work on the theory that you never have enough clamps and
they seemed like a real bargain.

I'm a great fan of Axminsters 'F' clamps myself.

Dave

John Rumm

david lang wrote:

I'm a great fan of Axminsters 'F' clamps myself.

CPC do decent F clamps fairly cheaply also...

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:55:51 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
You don't say what type these are Dave, but if it's a trigger type
that you are looking for, both the Quick Grip and Wolf ones are fairly
reasonable.

Hi Andy - they are the trigger type you can use as a spreader. They look
like Quick Grip or Wolf, but are just crap quality.

Shame really. I work on the theory that you never have enough clamps and
they seemed like a real bargain.

I know what you mean - I always seem to need more. I might have
believed £5 each as being reasonable, but for a set....

I'm a great fan of Axminsters 'F' clamps myself.

I saw some at their exhibition last year but didn't need any more of
that type at the time. They seem to be similar in design to the
Bessey K type and I think I might get some next time I need more of
this type. The Bessey ones are good in terms of the jaws being
parallel as tightened and you can get a lot of pressure. Periodically
there are good deals, but they are expensive for a clamp. I looked at
buying some in the U.S. where they are cheaper, but they are so heavy
that it's not worth the shipping cost.

Another one that I quite like for lighter work is the Bessey Kliklamp.
These are in between on price but are very easy to use one handed when
you are trying to hold something in place.

Dave

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
david lang

John Rumm wrote:
david lang wrote:

I'm a great fan of Axminsters 'F' clamps myself.

CPC do decent F clamps fairly cheaply also...

CPC? Who dat?

Dave

david lang

Andy Hall wrote:
I know what you mean - I always seem to need more. I might have
believed £5 each as being reasonable, but for a set....

Agreed, I should have known better really.....

These are in between on price but are very easy to use one handed when
you are trying to hold something in place.

That's why I was tempted by the Makro ones, never enough clamps, never
enough hands to operate them.

I did get some great & cheap one handed clamps (the cartridge gun type) from
Trago Mills in Falmouth whilst on holiday last year.

Dave

Ian Stirling

david lang wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
david lang wrote:

I'm a great fan of Axminsters 'F' clamps myself.

CPC do decent F clamps fairly cheaply also...

CPC? Who dat?

http://www.guessthisbit.co.uk/
John Rumm

Ian Stirling wrote:

CPC? Who dat?

http://www.guessthisbit.co.uk/

;-)

£2.06 + VAT each for the 12" ones:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=ME18451&N=411

and a bargain 98p for the 6" ones:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=ME18449&N=411

--
Cheers,

John.

david lang

Ian Stirling wrote:
http://www.guessthisbit.co.uk/

Thanks Ian - are you sure it isn't www.sarcasticgit.com ??

Dave

Rob Morley

In article , "david
lang" says...

Shouldn't that be www.sarcasticgit.co.uk ?

Clamps Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 6 January 19th 05 08:32 AM
Don't have clamps big enough... toller Woodworking 27 January 6th 05 07:48 PM
Clamps from Borg Robert Rushing Woodworking 26 September 10th 04 10:08 PM
FS : Pipe Clamps & Deep throat Pipe clamps Rob V Woodworking 5 February 14th 04 02:33 PM
Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps ON SALE TomL Woodworking 2 August 3rd 03 04:49 PM