Default Cutting A Square In A Travertine Tile

Hello All

My tiler is having some problems cutting out a square in a 60x40
Travertine tile. This will fit around the thermostatic mixer. He
decided to just notch a rectangle out and fixed it after fixing the
main piece which I am not happy with as it doesn't look right.
Does anyone have any bright ideas on the easiest way to do this?
something I can suggest he trys. I'm assuming he has a normal electric
tile cutting machine, he mentioned something about the guard being in
the way. Apart from that the jobs a good 'un and the mosaics on the
floor look awesome so I dont want to ask him to get his coat just yet

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rob Morley wrote:
You can't really do a plunge cut with a tile cutter - either use a
small grinder or a drill.

You certainly can if you're careful. Clamp a batten at right angles to the
front of the disc and set the fence to give the correct distance on that
side. Gently pivot the tile downwards starting with the front on the bed
up against the batten.

Drill holes at each corner first. It's not a fast process, but with care
you can cut out a square, etc from the middle of a tile. But I'd not
expect a pro to bother.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Not in my book it isn't especially when I'm paying through the nose for
him, do a proper job or dont do it at all. I consider that to be a
bodge and if I wanted bodges in my house I would of not bothered asking
for all the advice I have from you guys.

Cheers

Richard

I would and do especially when he's getting a lot of moola.

Thanks for this Dave, I will suggest this to him in the morning, Im
sure he'll be receptive to the suggestion.......

Cheers

Richard

Lobster

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Drill holes at each corner first. It's not a fast process, but with care
you can cut out a square, etc from the middle of a tile. But I'd not
expect a pro to bother.

Yes I'm sure that's the reason! Personally I'm not sure I'd fancy
trying this on a tile cutting machine; I'd do it by drilling the corner
holes and then connect these with a manual tile saw (like Screwfix
16033). Even more time consuming, but with just the same (ie pleasing!)
result.

David

If I could I would! the order of my reply seems to of got screwed up,
I'm just using google via web browser and haven't worked out how to use
the damn thing.

Can I use a diamond wheel for cutting tile to sharpen my carbide toolbits? jtaylor Metalworking 28 February 18th 05 05:10 AM
Cutting 4"X4" X 1/4" square tubing rbell Metalworking 4 January 30th 05 04:55 PM
Cutting 4"x 4" x 1/4" square tubing rbell Metalworking 22 January 29th 05 04:15 PM
Cutting ceramic tile (?) Home Repair 7 July 12th 04 09:01 PM
cutting hole in ceramic tile Dave Liquorice UK diy 20 July 30th 03 02:01 PM