marcb

Default More smoking advice pls

Further to the enquiry about redoing a smoker's room, we've recently
inherited some good furniture, in particular a dining room table
and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately they came from a smoker's home
and even after a month with us still smell strongly. Any ideas about
getting them to kick the habit?

thx

Marc
mrcheerful

"marcb" wrote in message
Further to the enquiry about redoing a smoker's room, we've recently
inherited some good furniture, in particular a dining room table
and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately they came from a smoker's home
and even after a month with us still smell strongly. Any ideas about
getting them to kick the habit?

thx

Marc

I had this problem, we used ambersil anti static foaming cleaner, the tar
just rolled off and it stopped being smelly.

mrcheerful

VisionSet

"marcb" wrote in message
...still smell strongly. Any ideas about
getting them to kick the habit?

Have you tried those patch things?
If you use enough, that should work.

--
Mike W

marcb

"mrcheerful
." wrote in
. uk:

"marcb" wrote in message
Further to the enquiry about redoing a smoker's room, we've recently
inherited some good furniture, in particular a dining room table
and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately they came from a smoker's home
and even after a month with us still smell strongly. Any ideas about
getting them to kick the habit?

thx

Marc

I had this problem, we used ambersil anti static foaming cleaner, the
tar just rolled off and it stopped being smelly.

mrcheerful

Does it work on fabric?

M.
marcb

"VisionSet" wrote in news:8FjLe.5770$CM.4667@newsfe7-
win.ntli.net:

Have you tried those patch things?
If you use enough, that should work.

Well, we've already given the chairs a stern talking to but
I'd prefer to try aversion therapy first.

M.

Mary Fisher

"marcb" wrote in message
"VisionSet" wrote in news:8FjLe.5770$CM.4667@newsfe7-
win.ntli.net:

Have you tried those patch things?
If you use enough, that should work.

Well, we've already given the chairs a stern talking to but
I'd prefer to try aversion therapy first.

If you've inherited them they must be over the legal age, there's little you
can do about it except wait. Time will teach them.

Mary

M.

mrcheerful

"marcb" wrote in message
"mrcheerful
." wrote in
. uk:

"marcb" wrote in message
Further to the enquiry about redoing a smoker's room, we've recently
inherited some good furniture, in particular a dining room table
and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately they came from a smoker's home
and even after a month with us still smell strongly. Any ideas about
getting them to kick the habit?

thx

Marc

I had this problem, we used ambersil anti static foaming cleaner, the
tar just rolled off and it stopped being smelly.

mrcheerful

Does it work on fabric?

M.

It doesn't say suitable for fabric, my choice for fabric would be to use
the vax machine. (since you don't want to dissolve the smell further into
the item, the vax sucks it straight off)

mrcheerful

John Rumm

mrcheerful . wrote:

It doesn't say suitable for fabric, my choice for fabric would be to use
the vax machine. (since you don't want to dissolve the smell further into
the item, the vax sucks it straight off)

I would have thought one of the foaming type carpet and upholstery
cleaners would be a good bet. You use a small amount of cleaner on a
sponge or brush to work up a good lather, and then let it dry. It dries
to a crystalline form which you then vacuum off.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rick

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:55:53 GMT, marcb
wrote:

Further to the enquiry about redoing a smoker's room, we've recently
inherited some good furniture, in particular a dining room table
and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately they came from a smoker's home
and even after a month with us still smell strongly. Any ideas about
getting them to kick the habit?

thx

Marc

My partner will hyptonise then to stop, for 60 quid.

Rick

Richard Faulkner

In message , Rick
writes
wrote:

Further to the enquiry about redoing a smoker's room, we've recently
inherited some good furniture, in particular a dining room table
and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately they came from a smoker's home
and even after a month with us still smell strongly. Any ideas about
getting them to kick the habit?

thx

Marc

My partner will hyptonise then to stop, for 60 quid.

Rick

I want to give up smoking - how successful is hypnotism?

--
Richard Faulkner

Mary Fisher

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
In message , Rick
writes
wrote:

Further to the enquiry about redoing a smoker's room, we've recently
inherited some good furniture, in particular a dining room table
and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately they came from a smoker's home
and even after a month with us still smell strongly. Any ideas about
getting them to kick the habit?

thx

Marc

My partner will hyptonise then to stop, for 60 quid.

Rick

I want to give up smoking - how successful is hypnotism?

In my experience not at all but others have different experiences.

But the offer was for the partner to hyptonise and I've no experience of
that.

Mary

--
Richard Faulkner

Rod

Richard Faulkner wrote in news:R6X
:

I want to give up smoking - how successful is hypnotism?

Hyponotism doesn't give up smoking. You do!

Having just done so (over two months now), the greatest help for me was a
partner who had also just done so. She was about a week ahead of me.

In the months before giving up, we had progressively pushed smoking from
something we did pretty much anywhere, to "downstairs only", to "kitchen
only", eventually to "outside if you really have to". This also had the
effect of breaking links between things like using computers, watching
tele, eating, drinking tea/coffee, etc. and smoking.

And think why you want to give up. If the want is strong enough, the doing
is easy (well, easier).

--
Rod
Mary Fisher

"Rod" wrote in message
. 4...
Richard Faulkner wrote in news:R6X
:

I want to give up smoking - how successful is hypnotism?

Hyponotism doesn't give up smoking. You do!

Having just done so (over two months now), the greatest help for me was a
partner who had also just done so. She was about a week ahead of me.

Well done, both of you. I think it's probably the hardest thing to do. I
hope you're feeling better - your wallet certainly will - and that you keep
off it.

In the months before giving up, we had progressively pushed smoking from
something we did pretty much anywhere, to "downstairs only", to "kitchen
only", eventually to "outside if you really have to". This also had the
effect of breaking links between things like using computers, watching
tele, eating, drinking tea/coffee, etc. and smoking.

And think why you want to give up. If the want is strong enough, the doing
is easy (well, easier).

I think that's probably true for some people. In fact I think that different
methods work for different people. I tried very many methods and none of
them worked. I didn't even enjoy smoking, I wanted to give up but I was a
junkie :-( I'm now a reformed smoker of 21 years and although I don't want
another and hate the smell I wouldn't dare have even a puff because I know
I'd be hooked again.

Mary

John Schmitt

Rod wrote:
Hyponotism doesn't give up smoking. You do!

The entire English football have given up smoking, but only because they
keep losing their matches. :-)

The old ones are, er, the old ones.

John Schmitt

Mary Fisher

"John Schmitt" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
Hyponotism doesn't give up smoking. You do!

The entire English football have given up smoking, but only because they
keep losing their matches. :-)

The old ones are, er, the old ones.

I've never heard that, I like it. Both of them.

I'd also like to think I'll remember it but I probably shan't :-(

Mary

John Schmitt

david lang

John Schmitt wrote:
The entire English football have given up smoking, but only because
they keep losing their matches. :-)

The old ones are, er, the old ones.

They should try those new patches - you stick them over your eyes and then
you can't find your fags.

Dave

John Schmitt

david lang wrote:

They should try those new patches - you stick them over your eyes and then
you can't find your fags.

I tried the old patches and the bloody things were very difficult to
light and kept going out.

John Schmitt

Richard Faulkner wrote:
In message , Rick
writes
wrote:

Further to the enquiry about redoing a smoker's room, we've recently
inherited some good furniture, in particular a dining room table
and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately they came from a smoker's home
and even after a month with us still smell strongly. Any ideas about
getting them to kick the habit?

thx

Marc

My partner will hyptonise then to stop, for 60 quid.

Rick

I want to give up smoking - how successful is hypnotism?

--
Richard Faulkner

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around
the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes.

[click] You're under!

You will give up Smoking

[click] You're back in the room!

MBQ

raden

In message , david lang
writes
John Schmitt wrote:
The entire English football have given up smoking, but only because
they keep losing their matches. :-)

The old ones are, er, the old ones.

They should try those new patches - you stick them over your eyes

Given their passing ability, I think that they already do

--
geoff