Stephen

Default Using silver plating polish

To improve connectivity through the mains sockets I'm trying to silver
plate the brass pins of my UK MK mains plugs. I'm trying a chemical,
silver depositing soultion (Sheffield Plate Silver Polish), but find
that even after mutiple attempts, all I'm getting is brighter, smoother
brass ! Slightly paler in colour than when I started but certainly not
silver coloured.
I've tried finding details of the polish manufacturers to no avail as I
wondered whether the stuff has a shelf-life and mine is out of date. The
solution is pinky-brown and sort of sludgy.
Has anyone else tried this ? Do MK mains plugs have a coating on the
pins that I need to strip away first, does the solution itself sound right ?
Any help welcome.
ben

Stephen wrote:
To improve connectivity through the mains sockets I'm trying to silver
plate the brass pins of my UK MK mains plugs. I'm trying a chemical,
silver depositing soultion (Sheffield Plate Silver Polish), but find
that even after mutiple attempts, all I'm getting is brighter,
smoother brass ! Slightly paler in colour than when I started but
certainly not silver coloured.
I've tried finding details of the polish manufacturers to no avail as
I wondered whether the stuff has a shelf-life and mine is out of
date. The solution is pinky-brown and sort of sludgy.
Has anyone else tried this ? Do MK mains plugs have a coating on the
pins that I need to strip away first, does the solution itself sound
right ? Any help welcome.

Your waisting your time, that silvering polish was meant to resilver
numeric antique clock dials,the brass has to be shiny and smooth and to be
honest silver pins on plugs will not improve the connectivity because it
will wear off as you fit plug in/out of socket.
That silvering polish comes in two products..silvering&finishing.

http://www.clockspares.net/detail.asp?id=4741

Ian Stirling

Stephen wrote:
To improve connectivity through the mains sockets I'm trying to silver
plate the brass pins of my UK MK mains plugs. I'm trying a chemical,
silver depositing soultion (Sheffield Plate Silver Polish), but find
that even after mutiple attempts, all I'm getting is brighter, smoother
brass ! Slightly paler in colour than when I started but certainly not

Why on earth would you want to?
Unless they are overheating, in which case simply polish them back to
clean brass.
If still overheating, you need to replace the faulty socket.

Stephen wrote:
To improve connectivity through the mains sockets I'm trying to silver
plate the brass pins of my UK MK mains plugs.

Try posting this to rec.audio.insane-fruitbats

This is such a pointless idea that I can't even begin to get the
enthusiasm up for posting about silvering brass. You have no idea how
dischuffed I have to be to get to that state - this is a
mind-buggeringly stupid waste of effort.

Matt

Ian Stirling wrote:

Stephen wrote:
To improve connectivity through the mains sockets I'm trying to silver
plate the brass pins of my UK MK mains plugs. I'm trying a chemical,
silver depositing soultion (Sheffield Plate Silver Polish), but find
that even after mutiple attempts, all I'm getting is brighter, smoother
brass ! Slightly paler in colour than when I started but certainly not

Why on earth would you want to?

Probably a Hi-Fi nut. Silver, despite being the best conductor will
oxidise so he really ought to gold plate it instead. Somewhere I have
an MK Safeplug that I gold plated about 20 years ago. It's not on the
Hi-Fi though as that makes sod all difference - it probably ended up
on the video or the microwave ;-)

Grunff

Stephen wrote:
To improve connectivity through the mains sockets I'm trying to silver
plate the brass pins of my UK MK mains plugs.

???

Because you're getting too much signal loss at 50Hz or what?

Why do you want silver plated pins?

--
Grunff

Matt wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Stephen wrote:
To improve connectivity through the mains sockets I'm trying to silver
plate the brass pins of my UK MK mains plugs. I'm trying a chemical,
silver depositing soultion (Sheffield Plate Silver Polish), but find
that even after mutiple attempts, all I'm getting is brighter, smoother
brass ! Slightly paler in colour than when I started but certainly not

Why on earth would you want to?

Probably a Hi-Fi nut. Silver, despite being the best conductor will
oxidise so he really ought to gold plate it instead.

And the socket and the fuse in the consumer unit and the electricity
co's fuse and carrier and...

There is one born every mnute.

MBQ

Ian White

Matt wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Stephen wrote:
To improve connectivity through the mains sockets I'm trying to silver
plate the brass pins of my UK MK mains plugs. I'm trying a chemical,
silver depositing soultion (Sheffield Plate Silver Polish), but find
that even after mutiple attempts, all I'm getting is brighter, smoother
brass ! Slightly paler in colour than when I started but certainly not

Why on earth would you want to?

Probably a Hi-Fi nut. Silver, despite being the best conductor will
oxidise so he really ought to gold plate it instead.

And the socket and the fuse in the consumer unit and the electricity
co's fuse and carrier and...

Maplin's car hi-fi range used to include a gold-plated battery clamp...
with a gold-plated Allen key to do it up.

--
Ian White
Mr Fizzion

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:23:38 GMT, "ben" wrote:

U still need elecy to charge the batteries, I use 500 hamsters on a wheel
gen.

Wouldn't one donkey be as good? Or, come to think of it, any very
large mammal with legs?

Mr F.

ben

Mr Fizzion wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:23:38 GMT, "ben" wrote:

U still need elecy to charge the batteries, I use 500 hamsters on a
wheel gen.

Wouldn't one donkey be as good? Or, come to think of it, any very
large mammal with legs?

Mr F.

No, cost too much in carrots to keep. :-)

Rob Morley

In article , "Bob Mannix"
says...
snip

You don't need too many!:

http://tinyurl.com/bm42b

That's either very funny or slightly worrying - I'm not sure which.
Bob Mannix

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Bob Mannix"
says...
snip

You don't need too many!:

http://tinyurl.com/bm42b

That's either very funny or slightly worrying - I'm not sure which.

I believe it is called "esoteric" hi fi - it's better but you can't hear the
difference. Clothes, new, emperor's etc. Bloody sure you would say it was
good after paying that amount!

Bob Mannix

I suppose RF filtering may help the amp, but you can filter RF without
some
weird silver "weave". He probably wears a silver weave on his head when
listening to his hi-fi.
I wonder if the "burn-in" idea came from him, or from the Kord people.
Simon.

Rob Morley

In article , "Bob Mannix"
says...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Bob Mannix"
says...
snip

You don't need too many!:

http://tinyurl.com/bm42b

That's either very funny or slightly worrying - I'm not sure which.

I believe it is called "esoteric" hi fi - it's better but you can't hear the
difference. Clothes, new, emperor's etc. Bloody sure you would say it was
good after paying that amount!

While skimming through the Sale of Goods Act the other day I was
reminded of the bit that basically says it's illegal to rip off
drunks, idiots and children - unfortunately that only applies to
"necessary" items ...
Bob Mannix

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Bob Mannix"
says...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Bob Mannix"
says...
snip

You don't need too many!:

http://tinyurl.com/bm42b

That's either very funny or slightly worrying - I'm not sure which.

I believe it is called "esoteric" hi fi - it's better but you can't hear
the
difference. Clothes, new, emperor's etc. Bloody sure you would say it was
good after paying that amount!

While skimming through the Sale of Goods Act the other day I was
reminded of the bit that basically says it's illegal to rip off
drunks, idiots and children - unfortunately that only applies to
"necessary" items ...

And doesn't include ripping of people with more money than sense (nor should
it really - where would be the fun in that?).

I am always amused by the great hi fi joke nature/the Creator/small white
mice played on us - when you are young enough to hear any difference, you
can't afford decent hi fi as you haven't any money. When you have enough
money your ears have deteriorated so you can't hear the difference - life's
a bitch.

Bob Mannix

Mike Dodd

Bob Mannix wrote:

Mind you, compared with 8ft of tri-wire speaker cable, it's farily
reasonable...

http://tinyurl.com/dmqot

FFS!
Matt

"Bob Mannix" wrote:

Mind you, compared with 8ft of tri-wire speaker cable, it's farily
reasonable...

http://tinyurl.com/dmqot

The default amplifier and speaker connectors are bananas - just like
the nuts who buy them!

Brian Sharrock

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

big snip

I am always amused by the great hi fi joke nature/the Creator/small white
mice played on us - when you are young enough to hear any difference, you
can't afford decent hi fi as you haven't any money. When you have enough
money your ears have deteriorated so you can't hear the difference -
life's a bitch.

Scene: 'Transit Servicing Flight' area, RAF Akrotiri, mid Seventies ...

VC-10 is waved-in to a stop and a ground crew surround the aircraft
doing what ground-crew are paid to do.
Door opens, steps brought up and a Medic type comes down
the steps, staring aghast at the ground crew not wearing
ear-defenders ... Medic throws a wobbly and insists that
entire ground-crew be summoned to Sick Quarters for Hearing
Tests ! Yes, you've guessed correctly; ... _the_ Hi-Fi buff,
who could bore for England on the subject, was for all intents
deaf-as-a-post - had a frequency-range of about two octaves.

--

Brian

Ian Stirling

Matt wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote:

Mind you, compared with 8ft of tri-wire speaker cable, it's farily
reasonable...

http://tinyurl.com/dmqot

The default amplifier and speaker connectors are bananas - just like
the nuts who buy them!

Don't be silly they are the perfect connector for those seeking a warm
golden sound, sweet and with a gentle midrange boost.
Lobster

PC Paul wrote:
Bob Mannix wrote:

There is one born every mnute.

You don't need too many!:

http://tinyurl.com/bm42b

Ahahahahahaha

A pure silver, specially woven IEC mains lead... £940!!!

Stone the crows... when I clicked the link I thought it was a ****-take,
but seemingly this is for real! Does it really make any difference to
the sound at all, let alone 940 quid's worth?!!

David
Ian Stirling

Lobster wrote:
PC Paul wrote:
Bob Mannix wrote:

There is one born every mnute.

You don't need too many!:

http://tinyurl.com/bm42b

Ahahahahahaha

A pure silver, specially woven IEC mains lead... ?940!!!

Stone the crows... when I clicked the link I thought it was a ****-take,
but seemingly this is for real! Does it really make any difference to
the sound at all, let alone 940 quid's worth?!!

Gold actually has a point, it doesn't work harden, so would make decent
cables for headphones.

Rob Morley

In article , "Lobster"
says...
PC Paul wrote:
Bob Mannix wrote:

There is one born every mnute.

You don't need too many!:

http://tinyurl.com/bm42b

Ahahahahahaha

A pure silver, specially woven IEC mains lead... £940!!!

Stone the crows... when I clicked the link I thought it was a ****-take,
but seemingly this is for real! Does it really make any difference to
the sound at all, let alone 940 quid's worth?!!

Of course it does - ask anyone who's bought one ...
ben

Matt wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote:

Mind you, compared with 8ft of tri-wire speaker cable, it's farily
reasonable...

http://tinyurl.com/dmqot

The default amplifier and speaker connectors are bananas - just like
the nuts who buy them!

This bloke would buy one, thats if he already hasn't.
http://www.davewhitter.myby.co.uk/

Owain

Rob Morley wrote:
Why do people go to all this trouble to "clean" their mains supply
when they should obviously be using a shed full of car batteries to
power their kit anyway?

Any particular car batteries (Bentley, Porsche, etc) or will one out of
a rear-ended Fiat Fandango down the scrappy's do?

Owain

Owain

Mr Fizzion wrote:
"ben" wrote:
U still need elecy to charge the batteries, I use 500 hamsters on a wheel
gen.

Wouldn't one donkey be as good? Or, come to think of it, any very
large mammal with legs?

No, because you would get rumble on your woofters every time the donkey
takes a step.

500 hamsters is pretty good, most people are satisfied with 50 ferrets.

It's the same principle as internal combusion engines - 6 cylinders give
a smoother output than one.

After all, you woldn't use one combi to fill a bath, so why use one
donkey to power the hifi

Owain

Owain

Ian White wrote:
Maplin's car hi-fi range used to include a gold-plated battery clamp...
with a gold-plated Allen key to do it up.

Did they do gold-plated mosfets or is that taking things too far?

Owain

Mike Dodd

Matt wrote:
wrote:

Matt wrote:

Probably a Hi-Fi nut. Silver, despite being the best conductor will
oxidise so he really ought to gold plate it instead.

And the socket and the fuse in the consumer unit and the electricity
co's fuse and carrier and...

No point in doing that, the microwave works perfectly ;-)

Yes, plating the mains plug was extravagant, I never expected it to
improve the Hi-Fi (which was correct) and it cost me nothing apart
from a few minutes wiring it up in a plating bath - someone else paid
for the plating salts :-)

I my youth I did actually buy a "Practical HiFi" (or similar) magazine;
leafing through it I laughed and joked with my mates on the same
Electrical and Electronic Engineering course over gold plated mains
plugs (and sockets!, if I remember correctly). It was only when I got to
the section where someone advocated wrapping a straightened paperclip
around the pins of all unused - and therefore unplugged mains electrical
items in the house "to avoid induced electromagnetic fields" (or some
similar crap) that I decided that that was £2 completely wasted on the
magazine and vowed never to buy another one.

The world, it'd seem, has enough nutters in it without me joining them.

Some 20 years later, I've still avoided buying another, however a
colleague at work does bring them in from time to time (i.e. once a
month - funny, what he spends on HiFi mags I spend on AV equipment...
Hmmm...) and he pointed to an article where a filtered mains extension
lead for somewhere in the region of £500 was cited as the best, most
affordable upgrade to any home system. Don't get me wrong, a mains
filter *could* affect the quality, particularly on cheap, badly filtered
PSUs, but to my mind spending a tenth of that would do the job
satisfactorily.

It's just good to know that, despite the 20 years since my first and
only magazine, that Darwinism hasn't yet kicked in, and we still have
these people who entertain and amuse us with tales of how polarised
speaker cables have changed their life

(ok, anyone care to explain polarised speaker cables?)
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Mike Dodd
URL:mailto:no-address@lo0 wrote:

(ok, anyone care to explain polarised speaker cables?)

Polarised or just marked for convenient in phase connection?

Can you explain speaker cables I have in stock which have directional arrows
on them to make sure the signal flows the right way? :-)

I recall a "test" where one cable was reversed. Apparently the effect was
clearly audible.

Bless!

tony sayer

It's just good to know that, despite the 20 years since my first and
only magazine, that Darwinism hasn't yet kicked in, and we still have
these people who entertain and amuse us with tales of how polarised
speaker cables have changed their life

(ok, anyone care to explain polarised speaker cables?)

Any fule knowe that you have to coat them in snake oil and use a 1.5
volt duracell to flush out the tired electrons and do that on the full
moon with a young virgin.. Never mind....

Somewhere around there is a place selling speaker cable pylons to carry
the precious electrons over the carpet so they don't get "contaminated"
but I can't remember where it is now.

Still Russ Andrews comes up with some fine products. Apart from those
"must have" rhodium plated type speaker cables he does some fine mains
leads and even offers a service to "burn them in!.

Think I'm joking?, these things are taken very seriously in some
circles.

Hope this link works......

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...currency=GBP&p
f_id=1048&customer_id=PAA1386088005195VWGXGTRWXJDY MOIE

--
Tony Sayer

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:49:54 GMT, "ben" wrote:

This bloke would buy one, thats if he already hasn't.
http://www.davewhitter.myby.co.uk/

I like the sound of his other hobby - " 5 inch gauge, coal fired, F1
motor racing"

Matt

Ian Stirling wrote:

Matt wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote:

Mind you, compared with 8ft of tri-wire speaker cable, it's farily
reasonable...

http://tinyurl.com/dmqot

The default amplifier and speaker connectors are bananas - just like
the nuts who buy them!

Don't be silly they are the perfect connector for those seeking a warm
golden sound, sweet and with a gentle midrange boost.

I just realigned my banana plugs 180 degrees and instantly transformed
a troublesome midrange cut into boost. I just wondered by using them
do I avoid any possibility of the skin effect?