Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Default Cavity Wall Insulation #2

With the fear of starting up a battle of the nobbers... ahem.
I would like to know out of all those that have had their cavities
filled... cough how many wish they hadn't.

My cavity is still virginal on 1970's detatched, and I can't quite make
my mind up as to whether to have it abused or to leave it doing the job
it was intended for i.e. damp barrier.

My main doubt is our house is on the top of a hill facing the prevailing
SWesterly winds which absoulutely smash with extreme force into the
front and side of the house (open view to the sea)

On an interweb search one can find a chap called "Jeff"
http://www.ask-jeff.co.uk/building-c...insulation.htm
who hates the idea. but he is one view in a thousand, so I am looking
for a broader spectrum of opinions.

I already know DrEvil says "DON'T DO IT" but my folks had it done about
30 years ago with foam and it has been of great benefit to them.

TIA
Pete
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Doctor Drivel

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...
With the fear of starting up a battle of the nobbers... ahem.
I would like to know out of all those that have had their cavities
filled... cough how many wish they hadn't.

My cavity is still virginal on 1970's detatched, and I can't quite make
my mind up as to whether to have it abused

What are you on about?

or to leave it doing the job
it was intended for i.e. damp barrier.

My main doubt is our house is on the top of a hill facing the prevailing
SWesterly winds which absoulutely smash with extreme force into the
front and side of the house (open view to the sea)

On an interweb search one can find a chap called "Jeff"
http://www.ask-jeff.co.uk/building-c...insulation.htm
who hates the idea. but he is one view in a thousand, so I am looking
for a broader spectrum of opinions.

I already know DrEvil says "DON'T DO IT"

He never said anything of the sort.

but my folks had it done about
30 years ago with foam and it has been of great benefit to them.

No one ever mentions figures in money in gas bills saved.

Doctor Drivel

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...

On an interweb search one can find a chap called "Jeff"
http://www.ask-jeff.co.uk/building-c...insulation.htm
who hates the idea. but he is one view in a thousand, so I am looking
for a broader spectrum of opinions.

Jeff Howell is regarded as a pillock by the building industry. He did a
Torygraph report on condensing boilers which was total balls.

I have seen a house filled with foam caity insulation, whoch also made it
air tight in the walls, and then Celotex around the outside. This was clad
in Ceder wood to ptrevent any water from getting onto the brickwork. The
roof had it overhangs made larger and re-tiled, new triple glazed windows
installed and insulated sealed front door, over 1 foot of insulation in the
roof. About 3 to 5 foot down around the foundations foam insulation was put
against the sunken walls to insulate from the cold of the surrounding earth.

The house only required a partial heating system and the make over made it
look stunning. It was a boring 1930s house on the end of a row in a
prominent location. The house was totally tranformed in looks, heating
performance, comfort conditions and the location made it an eye catcher. It
worked out far cheaper doing the makeover this way than a rebuild. The cost
was not that great, for what was in effect a new house in many respects.

Dave

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...]

doctor drivel did though.

but my folks had it done about
30 years ago with foam and it has been of great benefit to them.

No one ever mentions figures in money in gas bills saved.

These days, you can't. The price of heating is so volatile that
calculations are meaningless until you have all the data of the
household energy usage. And I mean _all_ the data.

Dave

Dave

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have seen a house filled with foam caity insulation, whoch also made it
air tight in the walls, and then Celotex around the outside. This was clad
in Ceder wood to ptrevent any water from getting onto the brickwork. The
roof had it overhangs made larger and re-tiled, new triple glazed windows
installed and insulated sealed front door, over 1 foot of insulation in the
roof. About 3 to 5 foot down around the foundations foam insulation was put
against the sunken walls to insulate from the cold of the surrounding earth.

Have you been drinking the shandy again?

Dave

Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I have seen a house filled with foam caity insulation, whoch also made

it
air tight in the walls, and then Celotex around the outside. This was

clad
in Ceder wood to ptrevent any water from getting onto the brickwork.

The
roof had it overhangs made larger and re-tiled, new triple glazed

windows
installed and insulated sealed front door, over 1 foot of insulation in

the
roof. About 3 to 5 foot down around the foundations foam insulation was

put
against the sunken walls to insulate from the cold of the surrounding

earth.

Have you been drinking the shandy again?

How is the damp from the cavity insulation?

Harry Bloomfield

Doctor Drivel brought next idea :
but my folks had it done about
30 years ago with foam and it has been of great benefit to them.

No one ever mentions figures in money in gas bills saved.

That has a lot to do with the difficulties of calculating the savings
and actually attributing it to the correct cause. The weather varies
each winter, our use of the house also varies considerably from year to
year and we have made other fuel saving improvements.

15 years ago, even with full central heating the house would still have
cold spots, we would use a gas fire, sit around it and we had trouble
with mold on the bathroom walls. In that 15 years I have fitted DG,
cavity wall insulation, additional loft insulation, added forced
ventilation and similar improvements.

We now use the entire house in perfect comfort irrespective of the
weather outdoors, never use the gas fire, no more mold forming on
bathroom walls, no more cold walls and our fuel bills are very low
considering the heating is left on 24/7 all the time it is needed. Even
when the heating does occaisionally fail, the house remains warm for
many hours.

We have suffered no damp problems since the installation of the CWI.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...]

He didn't.

but my folks had it done about
30 years ago with foam and it has been of great benefit to them.

No one ever mentions figures in money in gas bills saved.

These days, you can't. The price of heating is so volatile that
calculations are meaningless until you have all the data of the
household energy usage. And I mean _all_ the data.

Figures like, last winters bill was £300 and this winters was £200. Like
that would do.

raden

In message , "Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk" writes
With the fear of starting up a battle of the nobbers... ahem.
I would like to know out of all those that have had their cavities
filled... cough how many wish they hadn't.

Mary has, but it hasn't quietened her down

I already know DrEvil says "DON'T DO IT"

So why are you waiting ?

--
geoff
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

raden wrote:

I already know DrEvil says "DON'T DO IT"

So why are you waiting ?

Because.... although he may talk twoddle, some of his thoughts can be
usefull. You just need to filter a fair amount.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Doctor Drivel

raden wrote:

I already know DrEvil says "DON'T DO IT"

So why are you waiting ?

Because.... although he may talk twoddle,

Dr Evil does not talk twoddle at all. All is inspiring stuff.

some of his thoughts can be
usefull.

They are brilliantly creative, and should read by all and their families.

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...

On an interweb search one can find a chap called "Jeff"
http://www.ask-jeff.co.uk/building-c...insulation.htm
who hates the idea. but he is one view in a thousand, so I am looking
for a broader spectrum of opinions.

Jeff Howell is regarded as a pillock by the building industry. He did a
Torygraph report on condensing boilers which was total balls.

Perhaps because he tells the truth about dry rot, damp and all the
other scams.

You are regarded as a pillock by many on uk-diy. I'd rather take Jeff
Howell's advice anyday.

MBQ

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. uk...

On an interweb search one can find a chap called "Jeff"
http://www.ask-jeff.co.uk/building-c...insulation.htm
who hates the idea. but he is one view in a thousand, so I am looking
for a broader spectrum of opinions.

Jeff Howell is regarded as a pillock by the building industry. He did a
Torygraph report on condensing boilers which was total balls.

Perhaps because he tells the truth
about dry rot, damp and all the
other scams.

Exposing scams is one thing, but totally inaccurate information, and overt
opinionated garbage is another. He passes himself off as an expert in all
things inside and outside a house. So far I have never met such a man.

You are regarded as a pillock
by many on uk-diy.

Only by pillocks.

I'd rather take Jeff
Howell's advice anyday.

He is a fool.

Owain

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Dr Evil does not talk twoddle at all. All is inspiring stuff.

Inspiring to commit doctricide perhaps.

some of his thoughts can be usefull.

They are brilliantly creative, and should read by all and their families.

Anyone who can read Dr Evil's thoughts deserves electrodes in his head,
if he doesn't have them already.

Owain

David Hearn

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
. co.uk...

[...]

Although this year you could say last winter's bill was £300, and this
winter's was £300 even after spending £500 on cavity insulation.
Reason? Increase in gas prices.

As the other guy said - until you have all the details, you can't be
sure. Another example:

Since having cavity insulation put in our bills have gone from £300 to
£200. Oh, and we switched to X&Y Gas and Power Co....

Doctor Drivel

"David Hearn" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...]

I find it amazing no one can come up with a relevant monetary figure, like
last year £300 this year £200 and gas went up 5%. If I had heavy
insulation fitted I would have kept bills and compared.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I find it amazing no one can come up with a relevant monetary figure, like
last year £300 this year £200 and gas went up 5%. If I had heavy
insulation fitted I would have kept bills and compared.

All things being taken into consideration there's still no way of
comparing bills / gains without having accurate figures for duration of
heating use. No 2 years are equal weather wise.

though somone may be able to say something like.....

"on the whole over the last 5 years of having cavity wall insulation we
have been able to run our heating for 2 hours less in the day to
maintain the same level of comfort etc etc etc. And we have noticed the
TRV's kicking in much sooner, and we have been able to drop the flow
temperature etc etc etc"

or some such thing.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
PC Paul

Owain wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Dr Evil does not talk twoddle at all. All is inspiring stuff.

Inspiring to commit doctricide perhaps.

Pesticide?

Doctor Drivel

"PC Paul" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Dr Evil does not talk twoddle at all. All is inspiring stuff.

Inspiring to commit doctricide perhaps.

Pesticide?

This one might commit homicide. Plowman the victim? Any votes on this. I
vote for Plowman to be homicided.

PC Paul

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"PC Paul" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Dr Evil does not talk twoddle at all. All is inspiring stuff.

Inspiring to commit doctricide perhaps.

Pesticide?

This one might commit homicide. Plowman the victim? Any votes on
this. I vote for Plowman to be homicided.

No,you see you've missed the point there. Homicide is just plain old murder.

Pesticide has an element of humour to it. 'Pest', you see. That's you that
is.

HTH

Mark

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote in message
. uk...
With the fear of starting up a battle of the nobbers... ahem.
I would like to know out of all those that have had their cavities
filled... cough how many wish they hadn't.

Definitely everyone were the insulation has blocked the air bricks.
Im currently replacing most of the gd floor in a house cavity insulated with
Rockwool 6 years ago.
The insulation had completely blocked all the vents, resulting in the
fastest spread of dry rot I have EVER seen.

-

Doctor Drivel

"PC Paul" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"PC Paul" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Dr Evil does not talk twoddle at all. All is inspiring stuff.

Inspiring to commit doctricide perhaps.

Pesticide?

This one might commit homicide. Plowman the victim? Any votes on
this. I vote for Plowman to be homicided.

No,you see you've missed the point there. Homicide is just plain old

murder.

Pesticide has an element of humour to it. 'Pest', you see. That's you that
is.

I am brilliance. Total brilliance.

Doctor Drivel

"Mark" wrote in message

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote in message
. uk...
With the fear of starting up a battle of the nobbers... ahem.
I would like to know out of all those that have had their cavities
filled... cough how many wish they hadn't.

Definitely everyone were the insulation has blocked the air bricks.
Im currently replacing most of the gd floor in a house cavity insulated

with
Rockwool 6 years ago.
The insulation had completely blocked all the vents, resulting in the
fastest spread of dry rot I have EVER seen.

Are you on about the air bricks venting the floor void space?

Doctor Drivel

"PC Paul" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"PC Paul" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Dr Evil does not talk twoddle at all. All is inspiring stuff.

Inspiring to commit doctricide perhaps.

Pesticide?

This one might commit homicide. Plowman the victim? Any votes on
this. I vote for Plowman to be homicided.

No,you see you've missed the point there. Homicide is just plain old

murder.

Pesticide has an element of humour to it. 'Pest', you see. That's you that
is.

The OP said he didn't want any knobheads on this thread, so why did you
post?

Doctor Drivel

"Owain" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Dr Evil does not talk twoddle at all. All is inspiring stuff.

The OP said he didn't want knobheads on this thread, so why did you post?

Doctor Drivel

"PC Paul" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"PC Paul" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"PC Paul" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Dr Evil does not talk twoddle at all. All is inspiring stuff.

Inspiring to commit doctricide perhaps.

Pesticide?

This one might commit homicide. Plowman the victim? Any votes on
this. I vote for Plowman to be homicided.

No,you see you've missed the point there. Homicide is just plain old
murder.

Pesticide has an element of humour to it. 'Pest', you see. That's
you that is.

The OP said he didn't want any knobheads on this thread, so why did
you post?

The OP said he didn't want any knobheads on this thread, so why did
you post?

My, my, an echo.

Cavity insulation, how do you know if you have it? mike UK diy 9 June 10th 05 12:33 AM
insulation - behind wall slats? [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 24th 05 08:26 PM
Dropping a cable through cavity wall. Andrew Barnes UK diy 15 February 1st 05 11:33 PM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM