Paul S

Default Computer work area

I have a small corner space in my bedroom, to which I want to fit a
counter for computer use.

The corner is only 4 foot and 3/4 inch by 1foot 6 inches. Current thinking
is to allow the counter to protrude along the shortest wall to a width of
2 foot 4 inches.

I'm assuming I can fasten softwood battens to the wall to support the
counter. Would I also need a supporting leg at each extremity. I've drawn
a diagram of the straight lines outlined above, but I'm not sure how to
plan the curve I want at the front of the counter.

Are there any websites that could help with this, or does anyone have any
advice.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 09:45:00 BST, (Paul
S) wrote:

I have a small corner space in my bedroom, to which I want to fit a
counter for computer use.

The corner is only 4 foot and 3/4 inch by 1foot 6 inches. Current thinking
is to allow the counter to protrude along the shortest wall to a width of
2 foot 4 inches.

I'm assuming I can fasten softwood battens to the wall to support the
counter. Would I also need a supporting leg at each extremity. I've drawn
a diagram of the straight lines outlined above, but I'm not sure how to
plan the curve I want at the front of the counter.

Are there any websites that could help with this, or does anyone have any
advice.

I think that the main issue you will need to think about is weight of
any monitor that you put on there if it's a CRT one unless a 15" type.
In that case, I would put a supporting leg at each front corner. With
an LCD monitor and putting the PC base unit on the floor, you could
get away with wall battens only.

You can mark out a curve by placing the piece of material on a large
flat surface. Using a looped length of string around two pegs spaced
apart and in front of the worktop and a pencil so that a triangle is
formed, as you move the pencil, it will follow an elliptical path.

http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/ga...100_gj_02a.htm

illustrates the technique for a flower bed, but the principle is the
same. You can play around with string length and peg positions to get
what you want. If you use one peg, you get an arc of a circle, of
course.

Another easier option is to cut an angled corner rather than a curve.
I did this for a similar project, although space rather larger, and
arranged the corner to be angled at 45 degrees. Then the monitor goes
in the corner and keyboard in front. This works better than a curve
for this purpose.

Cutting of work surface is another topic and depends on what you are
thinking of using.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ian White

Andy Hall wrote:

I think that the main issue you will need to think about is weight of
any monitor that you put on there if it's a CRT one unless a 15" type.
In that case, I would put a supporting leg at each front corner. With
an LCD monitor and putting the PC base unit on the floor, you could get
away with wall battens only.

The other issue is the depth of a CRT monitor. If you put it on a
shallow shelf, the screen will be very much in-your-face.

I have a very similar situation here, and even with a forward extension
shelf for the keyboard[*] I couldn't use anything larger than a 15in
CRT. All the 17in CRTs available at the time would have put the screen
too far inside my comfortable focusing distance. Changing to a 17in LCD
allowed the screen to be pushed a lot further back, which left a lot
more room for papers and saved me having to buy a new pair of glasses.
[*] A keyboard shelf below the desk level would be a good idea anyway,
because the keyboard should be at a lower level than the desktop and the
screen. All you need are a few bits of wood and a pair of kitchen drawer
runners.

--
Ian White
Lobster

Paul S wrote:
I have a small corner space in my bedroom, to which I want to fit a
counter for computer use.

See http://tinyurl.com/dqm8d
(or
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/msg/169036c7dba763c6?hl=en&)
for how I built mine

David
Andy Hall

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:52:53 +0100, Ian White
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Good point, Ian.

The only trouble with underslung keyboard shelves is that although you
can position the forearm as it should be (horiontally) and have a neat
solution; it doesn't easily provide wrist or forearm rest places.

It's not that important that the keyboard should be below the desktop
- the key things are rest positions and angle for the keyboard and
having the monitor at a range of angles relative to the eye line of
the user. The factors are the desk, monitor height and seat position
in relation to the user.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Owain

Andy Hall wrote:
I have a small corner space in my bedroom, to which I want to fit a
counter for computer use.

I think that the main issue you will need to think about is weight of
any monitor that you put on there if it's a CRT one unless a 15" type.
In that case, I would put a supporting leg at each front corner. With
an LCD monitor and putting the PC base unit on the floor, you could
get away with wall battens only.

As 17" monitors are under £200 and 17" monitors with inbuilt televisions
(or televisions with PC input) under £300 I think LCD is the way to go.
Depending on the purpose of the PC and the layout of the bedroom, a
wireless keyboard with trackpad might mean that a counter isn't needed
at all.

Owain

Paul S wrote:
I have a small corner space in my bedroom, to which I want to fit a
counter for computer use.

The corner is only 4 foot and 3/4 inch by 1foot 6 inches. Current thinking
is to allow the counter to protrude along the shortest wall to a width of
2 foot 4 inches.

I'm assuming I can fasten softwood battens to the wall to support the
counter. Would I also need a supporting leg at each extremity. I've drawn
a diagram of the straight lines outlined above, but I'm not sure how to
plan the curve I want at the front of the counter.

Are there any websites that could help with this, or does anyone have any
advice.

Not answering question, and not DIY (typically of me), but ... Would
you not consider one of those things on castors they call
'workstations'. I have one (Homebase? many years ago) in nice solidish
timber (~2" strips that look like glued together -- but very solid).
Has taken loads of abuse over six years. Otherwise look for a metal
frame.

2 ft by 1 ft 7, with keyboard 'drawer'; I wouln't want much smaller.
Can extend workspace temporarily with a wide shelf (fixed down with
screws as necessary).

Can just about fit (along with chair with me in) in a 3 ft 10 landing.
Nice shelf for computer and loads of peripherals. 17" CRT fits easily;
but hardly 19" -- which, in any case, should be banned as a (physical
body) health hazard.

Incidentally, bedrooms appear to be particularly dusty. Advice on dust
protection or countermeasures may be worth seeking.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Harvey Van Sickle

On 07 Aug 2005, wrote

Paul S wrote:
[...]

I'll second that one should look at that route first.

About 3 years ago I'd planned on replacing the hotch-potch of tables
and junk in my office with a good corner unit; cost wasn't a huge
factor -- I work from home, and can justify it -- but getting a
workable unit was important, and I was happy to spend a few pounds to
get it right. I worked out a design and costed the materials at around
£100 (sheet materials, legs, shelving, paint, varnish, etc.).

At the time, Homebase was doing a large corner unit for £80; I bought
it on one of those 10% off days, so it came in at £72. (Aren't my sums
good? I did that without a calculator....) It put together in a day -
- a bit complex: lots of bits -- and does exactly what I wanted, for
about £30 less than materials would've cost and for *lot* less time and
effort.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Ian Stirling

Owain wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I have a small corner space in my bedroom, to which I want to fit a
counter for computer use.

I think that the main issue you will need to think about is weight of
any monitor that you put on there if it's a CRT one unless a 15" type.
In that case, I would put a supporting leg at each front corner. With
an LCD monitor and putting the PC base unit on the floor, you could
get away with wall battens only.

As 17" monitors are under ?200 and 17" monitors with inbuilt televisions
(or televisions with PC input) under ?300 I think LCD is the way to go.
Depending on the purpose of the PC and the layout of the bedroom, a
wireless keyboard with trackpad might mean that a counter isn't needed
at all.

Also depending on the layout, it might be nice if the monitor was able to
rotate through 90 degrees, for convienent use when in bed.

Personally, I find using a keyboard least stressful when it's on my lap.
Ian White

Andy Hall wrote:

[*] A keyboard shelf below the desk level would be a good idea anyway,
because the keyboard should be at a lower level than the desktop and the
screen. All you need are a few bits of wood and a pair of kitchen drawer
runners.

Good point, Ian.

The only trouble with underslung keyboard shelves is that although you
can position the forearm as it should be (horiontally) and have a neat
solution; it doesn't easily provide wrist or forearm rest places.

It's not that important that the keyboard should be below the desktop -
the key things are rest positions and angle for the keyboard and having
the monitor at a range of angles relative to the eye line of the user.
The factors are the desk, monitor height and seat position in relation
to the user.

I strongly agree... but when you apply those basic principles, it almost
invariably means that the keyboard should be below the standard desktop
height.

There is a danger of getting into Holy Wars about this, but IMO a wrist
rest is a bad solution. The problem isn't lack of wrist support - what
makes people's wrists ache is bad computer furniture that forces the
arms to reach forwards and upwards to get to the keyboard, with the
wrists cranked unnaturally downwards. And then they're expecting us to
waggle our fingers, without it hurting?

There's stacks of information on the web, but the basic recommendation
is that the upper arms should be able to hang vertically in a neutral
position, with the forearms roughly (but not rigidly) horizontal, and
the wrists roughly (but not rigidly) straight. In other words, it's a
lot like the piano-playing position, with the keyboard quite low down
and quite close in to the belly. For most people, that position doesn't
need any wrist support at all. If any support is needed, it is from
chair arms a few inches forward of the elbows.

The ideal situation is to start with a decent chair, with adjustable
dimensions to suit the individual. Then the objective of the computer
desk is to position the keyboard where the fingers need it to be, and
the screen where the eyes and neck want it. Never the other way round.

(IMO, anyway. This workstation is designed on those principles, and I've
been using it full-time as a technical writer for over 16 years with
absolutely no sign of wrist, arm or shoulder aches... much less any
clinical problems. But at a client's site where the keyboard is perched
up on a desk, I quickly notice that it's much harder work.)

--
Ian White

Owain

Ian White wrote:
(IMO, anyway. This workstation is designed on those principles, and I've
been using it full-time as a technical writer for over 16 years with
absolutely no sign of wrist, arm or shoulder aches... much less any
clinical problems. But at a client's site where the keyboard is perched
up on a desk, I quickly notice that it's much harder work.)

I suppose it depends on what you're used to. When I started typing (cira
age five, and my little fingers used to get squashed between the keys),
it was a manual typewriter on the coffee-table, then I grew big enough
to be able to reach the kitchen table.

I am still not used to soft spongy keyboards. In t'olden days we used to
do speed tests on manuals because you could whack the carriage over
faster than the electrics did. And daisywheels were particularly
sluggish, type a line and then wait for them to catch up.

Owain

raden

In message , Owain
writes
Andy Hall wrote:
I have a small corner space in my bedroom, to which I want to fit a
counter for computer use.

I think that the main issue you will need to think about is weight of
any monitor that you put on there if it's a CRT one unless a 15" type.
In that case, I would put a supporting leg at each front corner. With
an LCD monitor and putting the PC base unit on the floor, you could
get away with wall battens only.

As 17" monitors are under £200 and 17" monitors with inbuilt
televisions (or televisions with PC input) under £300 I think LCD is
the way to go.

I bought two 19" Acer TFT monitors for £180 each 6 months ago

--
geoff
PC Paul

raden wrote:
In message , Owain
writes
Andy Hall wrote:
I have a small corner space in my bedroom, to which I want to fit a
counter for computer use.
I think that the main issue you will need to think about is weight
of any monitor that you put on there if it's a CRT one unless a 15"
type. In that case, I would put a supporting leg at each front
corner. With an LCD monitor and putting the PC base unit on the
floor, you could get away with wall battens only.

As 17" monitors are under £200 and 17" monitors with inbuilt
televisions (or televisions with PC input) under £300 I think LCD is
the way to go.

I bought two 19" Acer TFT monitors for £180 each 6 months ago

The price has dropped like a stone recently due to gluts in the market.

Current low end prices for TFT monitors (no TV tuner, inc. VAT but not P+P,
from EBuyer):

15" £125
17" £135
19" £175

17" is the current sweet spot in the market...

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Owain writes:
As 17" monitors are under £200

They were around £150 at Christmas, and have come down
in price since then. I think I've seen them at around £125
at computer fairs, but not been keeping an eye out for them
recently.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Paul S

Wow! Thanks everyone. Did'nt expect that many replies. Even the TFT posts
were useful, as I might buy one soon (currently have 15" CRT). Are they as
cheap as they're likely to get now ?

From what some have said, it seems that I should have a look at corner
units in places like Homebase, MFI, Staples etc. Anywhere else ?

Ian W,
I've always been in favour of resting wrists on the desk, and for that
reason, thought I would'nt get anything with a keyboard draw, but your
saying that thinking is wrong, and I should'nt need to rest my wrists at
all! If so, I'll have to have a re-think. Any recommended sites to read
about this ?

I've now realised I really need a printer shelf as well, so it looks like
a corner unit might be a better idea than a counter. Also now realise that
I need more depth than I thought (unless I go and buy the TFT now) which
would have meant the counter needed supports at the front.

PC Paul

Paul S wrote:
Wow! Thanks everyone. Did'nt expect that many replies. Even the TFT
posts were useful, as I might buy one soon (currently have 15" CRT).
Are they as cheap as they're likely to get now ?

15" probably are, the glut has pretty much gone and they are dropping off
the bottom end of the market.

17" may go down a bit more but not much.

19" should keep coming down, if you want to wait.. and wait.. Like all IT
things, you'll always get a better one for less money in a few months!

From what some have said, it seems that I should have a look at corner
units in places like Homebase, MFI, Staples etc. Anywhere else ?

Ian W,
I've always been in favour of resting wrists on the desk, and for that
reason, thought I would'nt get anything with a keyboard draw, but your
saying that thinking is wrong, and I should'nt need to rest my wrists
at all! If so, I'll have to have a re-think. Any recommended sites to
read about this ?

The desk I'm at now has a drawer which is long enough that I can have the
keyboard 4" from the edge and rest my wrists if I want to anyway..

I've now realised I really need a printer shelf as well, so it looks
like a corner unit might be a better idea than a counter. Also now
realise that I need more depth than I thought (unless I go and buy
the TFT now) which would have meant the counter needed supports at
the front.

TFTs are a lot lighter than CRTs too ;-)

Difficult to sit your fluffy toys on top though.. 8^D

raden

In message , Paul
S writes
Wow! Thanks everyone. Did'nt expect that many replies. Even the TFT posts
were useful, as I might buy one soon (currently have 15" CRT). Are they as
cheap as they're likely to get now ?

Prolly not, but you have to jump in somewhere

Try a 17" and you'll never go back to a 15" again

You don't need the printer right by the computer, you can put it
somewhere else in the room

From what some have said, it seems that I should have a look at corner
units in places like Homebase, MFI, Staples etc. Anywhere else ?

Ian W,
I've always been in favour of resting wrists on the desk, and for that
reason, thought I would'nt get anything with a keyboard draw, but your
saying that thinking is wrong, and I should'nt need to rest my wrists at
all! If so, I'll have to have a re-think. Any recommended sites to read
about this ?

I've now realised I really need a printer shelf as well, so it looks like
a corner unit might be a better idea than a counter. Also now realise that
I need more depth than I thought (unless I go and buy the TFT now) which
would have meant the counter needed supports at the front.

--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:05:40 UTC, "PC Paul" wrote:

15" £125
17" £135
19" £175

CPC are doing 15" ones for under 100. They have 17" ones for 125, and
Belinea ones for 135.

All excluding VAT, but free delivery.

Owain

raden wrote:
I bought two 19" Acer TFT monitors for £180 each 6 months ago

I bought an LG Flatron 17" for £199 (reduced from £299) 8 months ago.

Them prices is dropping faster than a hoor's knickers in a dockyard when
the ship comes in.

Owain

raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:05:40 UTC, "PC Paul" wrote:

15" £125
17" £135
19" £175

CPC are doing 15" ones for under 100. They have 17" ones for 125, and
Belinea ones for 135.

One thing to look out for with TFT monitors is dead pixels

Apparently they can be very annoying (like that little job you didn't
get quite right, which nobody else notices but you - because you know
it's there)
--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 16:40:32 +0100, Ian White
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Agreed. To me, the chair is the key issue. You ca fix most other
issues after that

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ian Stirling

Owain wrote:
raden wrote:
I bought two 19" Acer TFT monitors for ?180 each 6 months ago

I bought an LG Flatron 17" for ?199 (reduced from ?299) 8 months ago.

Them prices is dropping faster than a hoor's knickers in a dockyard when
the ship comes in.

At the current price, it's also a good idea to look at power consumption.
Looking at some monitor specs, I saw a variance of 30W between monitors of
similar brightness.
30W, 8 hours/day = 240Wh/day = 2p/day.
In the first year, that'll cost you 6 quid.
DJC

Paul S wrote:

I've now realised I really need a printer shelf as well, so it looks like
a corner unit might be a better idea than a counter. Also now realise that
I need more depth than I thought (unless I go and buy the TFT now) which
would have meant the counter needed supports at the front.

It is possible to mount TFTs on the wall, there is standard for the
mounting plate at the back than enables it to be taken off the desk
stand and fixed to a wall bracket. I know Dell TFTs do this and I assume
others.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Ian White

Paul S wrote:
Ian W,
I've always been in favour of resting wrists on the desk, and for that
reason, thought I would'nt get anything with a keyboard draw, but your
saying that thinking is wrong, and I should'nt need to rest my wrists
at all! If so, I'll have to have a re-think. Any recommended sites to
read about this ?

There are thousands!

http://www.ergonomics4schools.com/lzone/office.htm
Good explanation with diagrams

http://office-ergo.com/alternat.htm
Basic principles

The HSE guidelines:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.pdf

Review and critique of national guidelines:
http://www.hazards.org/workstations/

--
Ian White

Doctor Drivel

"PC Paul" wrote in message
.uk...
raden wrote:
In message , Owain
writes
Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

Who is selling at those prices?

Harvey Van Sickle

On 08 Aug 2005, Doctor Drivel wrote
"PC Paul" wrote in message
.uk...

The price has dropped like a stone recently due to gluts in the
market.

Current low end prices for TFT monitors (no TV tuner, inc. VAT
but not P+P, from EBuyer):

15" £125
17" £135
19" £175

17" is the current sweet spot in the market...

Who is selling at those prices?

As he mentioned, ebuyer is: they've got a 17" one in there for £141
including VAT and with free delivery (this will wrap badly):

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...=c2hvd19wcm9kd
WN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91803

--
Cheers,
Harvey
PC Paul

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"PC Paul" wrote in message
.uk...
raden wrote:
In message , Owain
writes
Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

Subtle I know, but the 'from Ebuyer' was meant as a clue.

http://www.ebuyer.co.uk