Larry Gagnon

Default Newbie: starting a small computer repair business...

I am a recently A+ certified semi-retired professional geologist with
good repair and computer skills who is thinking of starting a small,
work out of home, computer repair, upgrade and consulting business -
primarily aimed at the residential market making "house calls". I do
not want to set up a storefront, nor work for someone else.

Obviously I have never done this type of work before, in this type of
market. I would like some comment from EXPERIENCED techs who have done
or who are doing this sort of work and am particularly interested in:

1) reasonable rates to charge: what are they?
2) reasonable minimum call-out charges: what are they?
3) liability insurance issues: how much, do you need it?
4) billing issues: do you bill later or up front and what do you find
to be your bad debtor ratio?
5) work order isues: do you insist on customer signing "we are not
responsible for your data" work orders?

Any other ideas would be most welcome and appreciated.

Larry Gagnon
remove "fake" from email address

Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
New Electrical Regs - Again PoP UK diy 169 October 22nd 03 11:34 PM
OT - NY Times economy article jim rozen Metalworking 74 September 15th 03 01:47 PM