Pedro Popadopolous

Default Some DIY questions................

Hi All,

1) How much would one expect to pay to have a patio laid. Its approx 35m of
patio, some curving needed. I am supplying slabs so just the ground work and
materials for that.....I am in Cambridge area as I know it depends on where
you are.

2) I am thinking of putting a set of stairs to my loft (I live in a
bungalow). I am going to put them in one of the bedrooms, wall it off and
put some fire doors on. Do I need planning permission?

3) Currently I have a water tank in my loft, I want to move it and I have 2
options, actually move it to another part of the loft...OR replace it with
mains fed water (Higher pressure etc) I know I need a new boiler but are
there any disdvantages of doing this? I know if theres a water stop I will
have no water, but anything else?

Cheers All

zaax

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

Hi All,

1) How much would one expect to pay to have a patio laid. Its approx
35m of patio, some curving needed. I am supplying slabs so just the
ground work and materials for that.....I am in Cambridge area as I
know it depends on where you are.

This is a DIY group.

2) I am thinking of putting a set of stairs to my loft (I live in a
bungalow). I am going to put them in one of the bedrooms, wall it off
and put some fire doors on. Do I need planning permission?

Yes

3) Currently I have a water tank in my loft, I want to move it and I
have 2 options, actually move it to another part of the loft...OR
replace it with mains fed water (Higher pressure etc) I know I need a
new boiler but are there any disdvantages of doing this? I know if
theres a water stop I will have no water, but anything else?

Cheers All

You will have to check the building reg. Copy at your Local Library. A
hot water tank was manitory, but it might have changed recently

zaax
Owain

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
2) I am thinking of putting a set of stairs to my loft (I live in a
bungalow). I am going to put them in one of the bedrooms, wall it off and
put some fire doors on. Do I need planning permission?

Probably not for internal stairs. You may need PP for windows. You
*will* need building regulations approval, which will cover not just the
stairs but also the entire loft conversion (floor strength, insulation,
etc).

The good news is that the fire safety provisions will be less onerous if
you are going from a single to a two-storey building, as most o fthe
fire safety regs come into effect with a third storey.

Owain

Pedro Popadopolous

"Owain" wrote in message
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
2) I am thinking of putting a set of stairs to my loft (I live in a
bungalow). I am going to put them in one of the bedrooms, wall it off and
put some fire doors on. Do I need planning permission?

Probably not for internal stairs. You may need PP for windows. You *will*
need building regulations approval, which will cover not just the stairs
but also the entire loft conversion (floor strength, insulation, etc).

The good news is that the fire safety provisions will be less onerous if
you are going from a single to a two-storey building, as most o fthe fire
safety regs come into effect with a third storey.

Hi Owain,

I am not doing a conversion, just easier access to my loft. No windows up
there just a large floored area....

Cheers

Pedro Popadopolous

"zaax" wrote in message
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

Hi All,

1) How much would one expect to pay to have a patio laid. Its approx
35m of patio, some curving needed. I am supplying slabs so just the
ground work and materials for that.....I am in Cambridge area as I
know it depends on where you are.

This is a DIY group.

Hi Zaax, appreciate that, I wouldn't know what group to put it in....

2) I am thinking of putting a set of stairs to my loft (I live in a
bungalow). I am going to put them in one of the bedrooms, wall it off
and put some fire doors on. Do I need planning permission?

Yes

3) Currently I have a water tank in my loft, I want to move it and I
have 2 options, actually move it to another part of the loft...OR
replace it with mains fed water (Higher pressure etc) I know I need a
new boiler but are there any disdvantages of doing this? I know if
theres a water stop I will have no water, but anything else?

Cheers All

You will have to check the building reg. Copy at your Local Library. A
hot water tank was manitory, but it might have changed recently

Its a cold water tank and a header in the loft. My hot water tank is in my
airing cupboard

Cheers

Set Square

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

I am not doing a conversion, just easier access to my loft. No
windows up there just a large floored area....

Problem is that if you're putting a staircase in, you'll have a job
convincing the powers that be that you're not creating extra living space -
which would have to meet all the relevant building regs.

What's wrong with a telescopic loft ladder?

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Pedro Popadopolous

"Set Square" wrote in message
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

I am not doing a conversion, just easier access to my loft. No
windows up there just a large floored area....

Problem is that if you're putting a staircase in, you'll have a job
convincing the powers that be that you're not creating extra living
space -
which would have to meet all the relevant building regs.

What's wrong with a telescopic loft ladder?

I don't like those loft ladders :-(

Why would it be a problem? only the centre bit is boarded, its full of xmas
decorations :-/ theres no chairs/beds/windows or anything at all that would
make someone think that :-/

Doctor Drivel

"Pedro Popadopolous" wrote in message
[...]

No.

I know if theres a water stop I will
have no water, but anything else?

None really, except if using a combi if it is down no DHW. So, best use two
combi's. Two cheap combi's is a very cost effective way of obtaining high
flowrates and built-in backup.

chris French

In message , Pedro Popadopolous
writes

"Set Square" wrote in message
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

I am not doing a conversion, just easier access to my loft. No
windows up there just a large floored area....

Problem is that if you're putting a staircase in, you'll have a job
convincing the powers that be that you're not creating extra living
space -
which would have to meet all the relevant building regs.

What's wrong with a telescopic loft ladder?

I don't like those loft ladders :-(

Why would it be a problem? only the centre bit is boarded, its full of xmas
decorations :-/ theres no chairs/beds/windows or anything at all that would
make someone think that :-/

Because once staircase is in then it would be small step to board out
the room, and use it as a bedroom or whatever. You can do the same with
loft ladder access of course, I know people who do, but access via
ladder is pretty inconvenient, so most people don't bother.
--
Chris French

Set Square

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

I am not doing a conversion, just easier access to my loft. No
windows up there just a large floored area....

Problem is that if you're putting a staircase in, you'll have a job
convincing the powers that be that you're not creating extra living
space -
which would have to meet all the relevant building regs.

What's wrong with a telescopic loft ladder?

I don't like those loft ladders :-(

Why would it be a problem? only the centre bit is boarded, its full
of xmas decorations :-/ theres no chairs/beds/windows or anything at
all that would make someone think that :-/

In that case, why do you want a permanent staircase just to go up and down
twice a year to get your decorations and put them away again?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I know if theres a water stop I will
have no water, but anything else?

None really, except if using a combi if it is down no DHW. So, best
use two combi's. Two cheap combi's is a very cost effective way of
obtaining high flowrates and built-in backup.

There he goes again!

Even if you have a *hundred* combis you won't get any more flow unless the
mains can deliver it - and the mains is still a *single* point of failure -
'cos that ain't duplicated!

Added to which the current gas supply is very unlikely to be adequate for
supporting two high-flow combis.

Other than that, it's a damn good idea - bah!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

ben

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Hi All,

Are you Bungalow Bill, perchance?

Pedro Popadopolous

"Set Square" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I know if theres a water stop I will
have no water, but anything else?

None really, except if using a combi if it is down no DHW. So, best
use two combi's. Two cheap combi's is a very cost effective way of
obtaining high flowrates and built-in backup.

There he goes again!

Even if you have a *hundred* combis you won't get any more flow unless the
mains can deliver it - and the mains is still a *single* point of
failure -
'cos that ain't duplicated!

Added to which the current gas supply is very unlikely to be adequate for
supporting two high-flow combis.

Ahhhh did I forget to mention I am on oil :-(

Doctor Drivel

"Set Square" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I know if theres a water stop I will
have no water, but anything else?

None really, except if using a combi if it is down no DHW. So, best
use two combi's. Two cheap combi's is a very cost effective way of
obtaining high flowrates and built-in backup.

There he goes again!

Exactly. Common cost effective functional sense again.

snip tripe.

Pedro Popadopolous

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Hi All,

Are you Bungalow Bill, perchance?

Bungalow Pedro!

Pedro Popadopolous

"Set Square" wrote in message
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

I am not doing a conversion, just easier access to my loft. No
windows up there just a large floored area....

Problem is that if you're putting a staircase in, you'll have a job
convincing the powers that be that you're not creating extra living
space -
which would have to meet all the relevant building regs.

What's wrong with a telescopic loft ladder?

I don't like those loft ladders :-(

Why would it be a problem? only the centre bit is boarded, its full
of xmas decorations :-/ theres no chairs/beds/windows or anything at
all that would make someone think that :-/

In that case, why do you want a permanent staircase just to go up and down
twice a year to get your decorations and put them away again?
--

Doh.... I will be honest, I am a lard ass and ladders and me aren't that
friendly. So why should I risk it if I have a choice?

Doctor Drivel

"Set Square" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I know if theres a water stop I will
have no water, but anything else?

None really, except if using a combi if it is down no DHW. So, best
use two combi's. Two cheap combi's is a very cost effective way of
obtaining high flowrates and built-in backup.

snip an idiot

Ahhhh did I forget to mention I am on oil :-(

Oil combi's are available. Quite good too.

ben

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Hi All,

Are you Bungalow Bill, perchance?

Bungalow Pedro!

Sod all upstairs. :-)

Pedro Popadopolous

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Hi All,

Are you Bungalow Bill, perchance?

Bungalow Pedro!

Sod all upstairs. :-)

Christmas tree lights :-)

John Rumm

zaax wrote:

2) I am thinking of putting a set of stairs to my loft (I live in a
bungalow). I am going to put them in one of the bedrooms, wall it off
and put some fire doors on. Do I need planning permission?

Yes

Er, no he probably does not.

You will have to check the building reg. Copy at your Local Library. A
hot water tank was manitory, but it might have changed recently

Huh?

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

I don't like those loft ladders :-(

You may find one of the "pull down" staircases are closer to what you
want then. Thes are like large luxuary loft ladders. You walk up them
like an ordinary flight of stairs, and they have a hand rail. However
they can be folded back into a (slightly enlarged) loft hatch.

For example see:

http://www.loftshop.co.uk/products_d...peID=14&pID=61

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

1) How much would one expect to pay to have a patio laid. Its approx 35m of
patio, some curving needed. I am supplying slabs so just the ground work and
materials for that.....I am in Cambridge area as I know it depends on where
you are.

No idea. Did my own ;-)

2) I am thinking of putting a set of stairs to my loft (I live in a
bungalow). I am going to put them in one of the bedrooms, wall it off and
put some fire doors on. Do I need planning permission?

Nope, but you will need building regs permission however (and the stairs
will need to be compliant etc). See my other post about more user
friendly ladders though.

3) Currently I have a water tank in my loft, I want to move it and I have 2
options, actually move it to another part of the loft...OR replace it with
mains fed water (Higher pressure etc) I know I need a new boiler but are
there any disdvantages of doing this? I know if theres a water stop I will
have no water, but anything else?

Having no cold water tank does not automatically imply that you need a
new combi boiler. A heatbank or an unvented cylinder may both be
appropriate and often perform better than many combi solutions.

There are pros and cons to each of these systems, and they will be
heavily influenced by your requirements and expectations as well as
things like the performance of your cold water main.

Have a google back through this group as it is a topic that comes up
frequently.

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , John
Rumm writes
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

[...]

Don't water regs more or less insist on there being a CW tank, to enable
you to flush the toilet etc

--
geoff
John Rumm

raden wrote:

Don't water regs more or less insist on there being a CW tank, to enable
you to flush the toilet etc

I don't know for sure, although I was not aware of a requirement for
one. There must be countless properties that don't have one these days.

--
Cheers,

John.

Set Square

raden wrote:

Don't water regs more or less insist on there being a CW tank, to
enable you to flush the toilet etc

Not as far as I know. Anyway, all my toilets are fed from the mains - so if
that fails the cold water tank doesn't really help (apart from being able to
fill a bucket from the hot tap and pour it down the loo!).
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , John
Rumm writes
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

[...]

Maxie, not at all. How do think mains pressure system, like combi's flush
their toilets? Maxie, you are on the pop early today.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 02:33:33 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

I don't like those loft ladders :-(

You may find one of the "pull down" staircases are closer to what you
want then. Thes are like large luxuary loft ladders. You walk up them
like an ordinary flight of stairs, and they have a hand rail. However
they can be folded back into a (slightly enlarged) loft hatch.

For example see:

http://www.loftshop.co.uk/products_d...peID=14&pID=61

Even the three-section wooden sprung loaded types are pretty good and
a lot more comfortable and safe than the metal ones. I have one of
these in the house and one on the garage. It's also good that they
fold within their footprint when stowed.

http://www.loftshop.co.uk/products_d...ypeID=14&pID=8

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Are you Bungalow Bill, perchance?
Bungalow Pedro!

Sod all upstairs. :-)

Christmas tree lights :-)

Lights plugged in but no bulbs in the holders :-)

Owain

Owain

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Ahhhh did I forget to mention I am on oil :-(

Wouldn't heroin be cheaper?

Owain

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Don't water regs more or less insist on there being a CW tank, to enable
you to flush the toilet etc

Maxie, not at all. How do think mains pressure system, like combi's flush
their toilets?

Well, I'm sure if you think about it long enough, even you could come up
with the answer to that one

Maxie, you are on the pop early today.

No, just asking (clue - that's why I put a question mark at the end of
the sentence)

I thought they did, but wasn't sure

--
geoff

ben

Owain wrote:
Pedro Popadopolous wrote:
Are you Bungalow Bill, perchance?
Bungalow Pedro!
Sod all upstairs. :-)

Christmas tree lights :-)

Lights plugged in but no bulbs in the holders :-)

Owain

Rubbish! He's not the brightest bulb on the tree. :-)

Phil Addison

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 02:33:33 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm
wrote:

Pedro Popadopolous wrote:

I don't like those loft ladders :-(

You may find one of the "pull down" staircases are closer to what you
want then. Thes are like large luxuary loft ladders. You walk up them
like an ordinary flight of stairs, and they have a hand rail. However
they can be folded back into a (slightly enlarged) loft hatch.

For example see:

http://www.loftshop.co.uk/products_d...peID=14&pID=61

Model 1 £899.99, Model 2 POA. And that's ex-vat - they are joking,
right?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Rumm

Phil Addison wrote:

Model 1 £899.99, Model 2 POA. And that's ex-vat - they are joking,
right?

Somehow I doubt it...

When I got some quotes to have a staircase made (admittedly with two
quarter winds, but not including the banisters etc). They were coming in
at 900+vat typically. (cost me under 500 to make one including banisters
and all the frilly bits!)

Hence if you are pricing your "ladder" as an alternative to a staircase
then perhaps that is the logic.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Anderton

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:03:06 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

3) Currently I have a water tank in my loft, I want to move it and I have

2
options, actually move it to another part of the loft...OR replace it with
mains fed water (Higher pressure etc) I know I need a new boiler but are
there any disdvantages of doing this?

No.

Well there might be, if, like me, he lives in an area where the water
supply isn't guaranteed. We get short (2-4 hours) interruptions every
month or so as we're on a small private water supply.

Having a large storage tanks means that we're not inconvenienced too
much but take that away and we'd have more of a problem,

Cheers,

John

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

3) Currently I have a water tank in my loft, I want to move it and I

have
2
options, actually move it to another part of the loft...OR replace it

with
mains fed water (Higher pressure etc) I know I need a new boiler but

are
there any disdvantages of doing this?

No.

Well there might be, if, like me, he lives in an area where the water
supply isn't guaranteed. We get short (2-4 hours) interruptions every
month or so as we're on a small private water supply.

Having a large storage tanks means that we're not inconvenienced too
much but take that away and we'd have more of a problem,

You happen to be in the 1% of poor supplies, which is hardly representative.
To ask such a question the OP would have assessed his cold supply is
adequate.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 13:25:44 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Where do you get the figure that only 1% have poor supplies? You are
making this up or speak with forked tongue. At least my snakes,
having forked tongue, are reasonably attractive.

If the situation really was as good as you describe, the minimum limit
of 9 litres per minute would not be the case, would it?

The reality is that the water suppliers have asked for this lower
limit to be removed.

This must be of serious concern at the combi lodge....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Set Square

Doctor Drivel wrote:

To ask such a question the OP would have assessed his
cold supply is adequate.

Don't you believe it! To many people, it is not always obvious that the
mains water supply may be a limiting factor - until it is pointed out to
them. Curiously, those who advocate the use of combis often omit to point it
out!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:

Where do you get the figure that only 1% have poor supplies? You are
making this up or speak with forked tongue. At least my snakes,
having forked tongue, are reasonably attractive.

If the situation really was as good as you describe, the minimum limit
of 9 litres per minute would not be the case, would it?

The reality is that the water suppliers have asked for this lower
limit to be removed.

This must be of serious concern at the combi lodge....

Hence the leaflets shoved in with the latest water bills
warning people intending to fit combis to check they will
operate at pressures down to 0.7 bar.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

[...]

I know these things, and you don't.

Doctor Drivel

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
Andy Hall writes:

Where do you get the figure that only 1% have poor supplies? You are
making this up or speak with forked tongue. At least my snakes,
having forked tongue, are reasonably attractive.

If the situation really was as good as you describe, the minimum limit
of 9 litres per minute would not be the case, would it?

The reality is that the water suppliers have asked for this lower
limit to be removed.

This must be of serious concern at the combi lodge....

Hence the leaflets shoved in with the latest water bills
warning people intending to fit combis to check they will
operate at pressures down to 0.7 bar.

Thames water have just upped the pressure.