urchaidh

Default washing machine with no sink

I want to plumb a washing machine and (probably) a dishwasher into a
waste outlet that will have no sink.

I've always had a P-trap and standpipe option but was wondering about
these appliance adapter things - they look neater somehow. However, as
there's no sink at the top I'd just need a wee one way valve to break
vaccuum. All the appliance adapters I've seen come with the sink
connector at the top - can anyone point me at one that would suit my
needs.

Or should I just stick with the standpipe?

Frank Erskine

On 5 Aug 2005 03:01:11 -0700, "urchaidh" wrote:

I want to plumb a washing machine and (probably) a dishwasher into a
waste outlet that will have no sink.

I've always had a P-trap and standpipe option but was wondering about
these appliance adapter things - they look neater somehow. However, as
there's no sink at the top I'd just need a wee one way valve to break
vaccuum. All the appliance adapters I've seen come with the sink
connector at the top - can anyone point me at one that would suit my
needs.

Or should I just stick with the standpipe?

Do you actually NEED a standpipe? I'm toying with the idea of using a
length of 22mm "overflow" pipe through the wall, with a 90 deg elbow
on the inside, and a short length of 22mm to which to attach the
outlet hose from the washing machine (using a Jubilee clip). Outside,
the pipe will be attached to a further elbow and a feed to the drain
gulley.
Since there's a non-return valve in the washing machine there
shouldn't be any problem with smells from the gulley.

--
Frank Erskine
urchaidh

Frank Erskine wrote:
Do you actually NEED a standpipe?

The soil pipe I'm using feeds directly into the drain so I' fairly sure
I'd need a trap, even with a sealed system and non return valve.

Also, were I to seal the w/machine outlet rather than just stuff it
down a standpipe I'd need some for of vacumm breaker above the trap.

So the alternative to a standpipe would be a P-trap with applaince
attachments above and an inlet valve as a vacumm breaker. I've only
ever seen these with sink connectors at the top.

Can you get a blanking plate for a sink connector?

Frank Erskine

On 5 Aug 2005 04:08:13 -0700, "urchaidh" wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
Do you actually NEED a standpipe?

The soil pipe I'm using feeds directly into the drain so I' fairly sure
I'd need a trap, even with a sealed system and non return valve.

Also, were I to seal the w/machine outlet rather than just stuff it
down a standpipe I'd need some for of vacumm breaker above the trap.

So the alternative to a standpipe would be a P-trap with applaince
attachments above and an inlet valve as a vacumm breaker. I've only
ever seen these with sink connectors at the top.

I did buy a new P-trap with an appliance connector, but even replacing
the trap bit with a shallow one, the 40mm outlet pipe through the
wall would have to be relocated a few inches lower, so I'm thinking of
the easier option!

I'm interested in your reference to a vacuum breaker. Only five
minutes ago I was talking to my neighbour who mentioned that when
their washer-drier empties it often empties the P-bend, allowing
smells into the kitchen - he used an appliance-connector when he
refitted their kitchen.

--
Frank Erskine
mrcheerful

"urchaidh" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to plumb a washing machine and (probably) a dishwasher into a
waste outlet that will have no sink.

I've always had a P-trap and standpipe option but was wondering about
these appliance adapter things - they look neater somehow. However, as
there's no sink at the top I'd just need a wee one way valve to break
vaccuum. All the appliance adapters I've seen come with the sink
connector at the top - can anyone point me at one that would suit my
needs.

Or should I just stick with the standpipe?

I would recommend the normal standpipe, no trouble in the long term, no
smells, easy to disconnect the washing machine, very cheap, etc. etc.

Since it will be hidden behind the machine the aesthetics are irrelevant.

mrcheerful

Pete C

On 5 Aug 2005 03:01:11 -0700, "urchaidh" wrote:

I want to plumb a washing machine and (probably) a dishwasher into a
waste outlet that will have no sink.

I've always had a P-trap and standpipe option but was wondering about
these appliance adapter things - they look neater somehow. However, as
there's no sink at the top I'd just need a wee one way valve to break
vaccuum. All the appliance adapters I've seen come with the sink
connector at the top - can anyone point me at one that would suit my
needs.

Or should I just stick with the standpipe?

Hi,

What would do is a washing machine trap with an anti-syphon device,
see part #15519 or 15520 on this page:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/123.asp

A standpipe should be fine where there is no chance of the drain
getting blocked and/or backing up, or the sound of the wash water
gurging away isn't objectionable

However a normal trap capped off with a small hole in the cap should
be enough to break any siphoning, subject to the above.

cheers,
Pete.
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message ...
On 5 Aug,
Frank Erskine wrote:

[...]

I was warned against using overfow pipe for this purpose, the push fit
connectors may blow off. Extending the pipe also increases emptying time.

Don't you need an air break in order to prevent syphonage from the

machine?

A spring loaded check valve will stop that. There are solvent welded 3/4
overflow pipes.

Extending emptying time is no great thing.

Frank Erskine

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:43:46 +0100, wrote:

On 5 Aug,
Frank Erskine wrote:

[...]

Marley overflow pipe is cement welded, I believe.

--
Frank Erskine