TimO

Default Hanging a gate to open up a hill.

Dear all,

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

Obviously without some "manipulation" the gates are going to hit the
driveway.

The only trouble is, I don't know how to do the manipulation!!!

I've searched high and low and can't find a way of doing this.

Can anyone please help?

How can I hang my gates so they will open inwards without hitting my
driveway?

Thanks in advance for any help.

TimO

Sparks

"TimO" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all,

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

What is the height difference between closed, and open?

Sparks...

Off-setting and cranking the hinges. Buggered if I can describe it but
basically the centre line of the hinge pins will be perpendicular to
the desired slope and not in line with the edge of the gate. er. thats
it basically!

AlexW

TimO wrote:
Dear all,

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

Obviously without some "manipulation" the gates are going to hit the
driveway.

The only trouble is, I don't know how to do the manipulation!!!

I've searched high and low and can't find a way of doing this.

Can anyone please help?

How can I hang my gates so they will open inwards without hitting my
driveway?

Thanks in advance for any help.

TimO

Sounds like you need hinges which lift the gate ... seen these for doors
but not gates. Or gates that have the right amount of clearance for the
highest point ... not very helpful ... sorry.

Alex
TimO

Sparks wrote:

What is the height difference between closed, and open?

Sparks...

I haven't measured it exactly yet. I suspect it may be up to 1 foot.
Gonna measure up tomorrow,

TimO

TimO

Sparks wrote:

What is the height difference between closed, and open?

Sparks...

I haven't measured it exactly yet. I suspect it may be up to 1 foot.
Gonna measure up tomorrow,

TimO

PS Thanks for the quick reply!

TimO

I see your thinking. The idea is sound but surely you can buy some
special hinges to do this?

PS I'll have a pint of whatever your drinking! Cheers

David Lang

"TimO" wrote in message

I haven't measured it exactly yet. I suspect it may be up to 1 foot.
Gonna measure up tomorrow,

Hang the gates a foot above the lowest point?

Dave

raden

In message . com, TimO
writes

Sparks wrote:

What is the height difference between closed, and open?

Sparks...

I haven't measured it exactly yet. I suspect it may be up to 1 foot.
Gonna measure up tomorrow,

How about having the bottom foot (nominal) on a hinge so it can be bent
up when open

Of course, it would be possible to design one which rises as it turns,
but it might be complicated

--
geoff
Harry Bloomfield

TimO explained on 03/08/2005 :
Dear all,

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

Obviously without some "manipulation" the gates are going to hit the
driveway.

I have the same problem and solved it several years ago by making some
custom 'offset' hinges for my DIY gates. I recently had the whole lot
replaced by proffessionaly made and installed gates a few months ago -
The installer scratched his head for a while, trying to work out how I
had done it - then copied it....

Basically you put the top hinge pivot pin where you would normally put
it on the gate. The lower pin then needs to be off set such that its
centre is back a few inches (back as in slightly further up your
drive).

As you open the gates, it will lift out and up at the bottom and once
fully open the lower edge will be leaning further out from the side -
So you loose a small amount of your drives width.

An alternative way (same idea) might be to set the pivot of the top
hinge out to the road with the lower pivot then not needing to be so
far back.

Our double 14 foot (total width) gates need to rise about 6" each side,
which involves an offset of around 3" in the lower hinge sets. So when
fully open, the gates also lean out by 3".

The easily way to calculate the off set is to hang the gate on the top
hinge level in the closed position - then open it fully up such that it
is at the same angle as your drive. Now measure the difference in gap
between gate and gate post for your two hinge locations. That
difference will be equal to the off set needed in the two hinges.

A completely different method, would be to have long hinge pins upon
which the gate could rise the required height - then have a roller
support on the gate at around the mid point of each gate.

Hope the above makes some sense - if not email me direct and I will
take some photos of the gates for you.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Harry Bloomfield

TimO presented the following explanation :
Dear all,

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

Third possibility (and probably not at all practical)....

If the gates could be made such that their shape could change from
rectangular, to a diamond shape with a roller support....

The hinges could be normal fixed ones and the gate itself adapts to the
incline. That would mean every horizontal of the gate, being able to
pivot in the verticals of the gate.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

OG

"TimO" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all,

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

Obviously without some "manipulation" the gates are going to hit the
driveway.

The only trouble is, I don't know how to do the manipulation!!!

If you just have vertical and horizontal members (i.e. cut out the cross
bracing) you can make a rectangular gate that can distort into a
parallellogram when opened.

Stick a caster on the moving ends to take the weight, and Bob's your uncle.

OG

Harry Bloomfield

OG pretended :
If you just have vertical and horizontal members (i.e. cut out the cross
bracing) you can make a rectangular gate that can distort into a
parallellogram when opened.

Stick a caster on the moving ends to take the weight, and Bob's your uncle.

OG

Great minds think alike :-)

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

OG

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
OG pretended :
If you just have vertical and horizontal members (i.e. cut out the cross
bracing) you can make a rectangular gate that can distort into a
parallellogram when opened.

Stick a caster on the moving ends to take the weight, and Bob's your
uncle.

OG

Great minds think alike :-)

If I had longer I'd have come up with a cunning device using a steel cable
hung from the gatepost to support the gate when it's closed and lift the
gate as it opened so that you wouldn't need a caster.

something like
http://www.owen.gwynne.dsl.pipex.com/Gate.htm

But I didn't have time

Andy Dingley

On 3 Aug 2005 14:19:34 -0700, "TimO" wrote:

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

Standard post and hinges, and make the gates with a sloping lower edge.
This is easy, so long as you don't have small livestock (there are fixes
if you do, but we'd have to know dimensions).

Canting the higes is a bad idea because it means you're having to lift
the weight of the gates when you open them. Just the _tiniest_ cant
makes them self-closing, enough of it to clear a slope would make them
unworkably heavy.

Mark

TimO wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all,

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.
How can I hang my gates so they will open inwards without hitting my
driveway?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The bottom hinge needs to be a dog leg shape, impossible to explain, I'll
take a photo of one tomorrow if I go into town
(The whole town is built on a hill so they are quite common)

-

OG

"TimO" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all,

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

Obviously without some "manipulation" the gates are going to hit the
driveway.

Why not have fun and make a pair of lifting 'Railway Crossing' gates?

Yeah!

TimO

Love that idea. It's basically a rotating railway gate!

Not sure how workable?

TimO

Mark wrote:

The bottom hinge needs to be a dog leg shape, impossible to explain, I'll
take a photo of one tomorrow if I go into town
(The whole town is built on a hill so they are quite common)

Some photos would be great.

If you didn't mind, I would really appreciate it.

TimO

TheScullster

A colleague of mine overcame this by having a hinge in the middle of each
gate.
This halved the distance up the slope that the furthest point reached.
OK if you can live with 6-7" clearance under the gate in your case

Phil

TimO

TheScullster wrote:
A colleague of mine overcame this by having a hinge in the middle of each
gate.
This halved the distance up the slope that the furthest point reached.
OK if you can live with 6-7" clearance under the gate in your case

Phil

Phil,

Clearance under the gate can be solved with some chicken wire or
similar.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean though. How does putting a
hinge in the middle help?

Cheers,

TimO

TimO

TheScullster wrote:
A colleague of mine overcame this by having a hinge in the middle of each
gate.
This halved the distance up the slope that the furthest point reached.
OK if you can live with 6-7" clearance under the gate in your case

Phil

I like it. So it's basically 2 pairs of gates. Each pair hanging from
a post with a hinge in the middle of them, like a concertina?

Off to measure up now, so I'll see if it is viable.

TimO

PeteZahut

A friend of mine has a drive sloping more than a foot and what he has done
was cut along the bottom of the gate then re-attatched the cut bit with some
hinges and a small wheel so it acts like an outward opening letterbox or cat
flap. As he pushes the gate up the slope, the wheel touches the floor and
starts to lift the bottom of the gate. When the gate is closed it hangs
perfcetly as though it was just a whole gate. I think its a novel idea and
now want a sloping drive

TimO

PeteZahut wrote:
A friend of mine has a drive sloping more than a foot and what he has done
was cut along the bottom of the gate then re-attatched the cut bit with some
hinges and a small wheel so it acts like an outward opening letterbox or cat
flap. As he pushes the gate up the slope, the wheel touches the floor and
starts to lift the bottom of the gate. When the gate is closed it hangs
perfcetly as though it was just a whole gate. I think its a novel idea and
now want a sloping drive

I like the sound of that too. Gives it a bit of uniqueness as well.

The more I look at it, the more I want to do something a bit different.

TimO

Adrian C

Rob Morley wrote:

Have the gate retract into the ground, or lift up in the air. :-)

Have no gate, but instead multiple visible red laser beams that
magically incinerate anything that tries to get through. Must also have
a low hum noise, and a "Danger of Death" sign for H & S compliance.

Failing that, Moat and drawbridge?

:-)

--
Adrian C

Lobster

OG wrote:
"TimO" wrote in message
oups.com...

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

Obviously without some "manipulation" the gates are going to hit the
driveway.

The only trouble is, I don't know how to do the manipulation!!!

If you just have vertical and horizontal members (i.e. cut out the cross
bracing) you can make a rectangular gate that can distort into a
parallellogram when opened.

Stick a caster on the moving ends to take the weight, and Bob's your uncle.

In case it helps, I've seen a gate like that (somewhere??) so I'm sure
it's workable!

David

Owain

TimO wrote:
PeteZahut wrote:
A friend of mine has a drive sloping more than a foot and what he has done
was cut along the bottom of the gate then re-attatched the cut bit with some
hinges and a small wheel so it acts like an outward opening letterbox or cat
flap. As he pushes the gate up the slope, the wheel touches the floor and
starts to lift the bottom of the gate. When the gate is closed it hangs
perfcetly as though it was just a whole gate. I think its a novel idea and
now want a sloping drive

I like the sound of that too. Gives it a bit of uniqueness as well.
The more I look at it, the more I want to do something a bit different.

How about hinging the gate along the bottom, so it can be lowered to lie
flat on the ground and be driven over?

A V-shaped counterbalance at the end would mean the gate could be moved
with little user effort.

Owain

Harry Bloomfield

OG brought next idea :

If I had longer I'd have come up with a cunning device using a steel cable
hung from the gatepost to support the gate when it's closed and lift the gate
as it opened so that you wouldn't need a caster.

something like
http://www.owen.gwynne.dsl.pipex.com/Gate.htm

But I didn't have time

That cable idea still requires the off set to work - unless you were
proposing that the cable should wind itself around the post, as the
gate opened in order to shorten its length.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Mark

TimO wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark wrote:

The bottom hinge needs to be a dog leg shape, impossible to explain,

I'll
take a photo of one tomorrow if I go into town
(The whole town is built on a hill so they are quite common)

Some photos would be great.

If you didn't mind, I would really appreciate it.

TimO

Dog leg hinge
This is a worst case, with the driveway rising and the footpath falling away
as well
If your footpath is level then the bottom of the gate can be straight
http://tinyurl.com/ag7v2
as A D said the gate will become heavy when part opened and self closing,
there is another similar one with a balance device to counter this, but didn
't go past it today to photograph.

-
Mark

OG

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
OG brought next idea :

If I had longer I'd have come up with a cunning device using a steel
cable hung from the gatepost to support the gate when it's closed and
lift the gate as it opened so that you wouldn't need a caster.

something like
http://www.owen.gwynne.dsl.pipex.com/Gate.htm

But I didn't have time

That cable idea still requires the off set to work - unless you were
proposing that the cable should wind itself around the post, as the gate
opened in order to shorten its length.

Indeed, a cunning device is what I would have devised. Actually, I was
wondering about something involving a counterbalance on the cable (beyond
the gatepost) that would pull down on the cable, shortening it and supplying
the tension to lift the free end of the gate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to TimO, Charlie wrote:
Where the hinge meets the post make the hinge rod longer so that you can lift
the gate UP the elongated rod then you can swing the gate inwards and lower
it.if you send me your email address I I can draw it for you

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ll-742435-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/16 16:44, Charlie wrote:
replying to TimO, Charlie wrote:
Where the hinge meets the post make the hinge rod longer so that you can
lift
the gate UP the elongated rod then you can swing the gate inwards and lower
it.if you send me your email address I I can draw it for you

In eleven years I rather hope he has figured it out!

Has homeownershub (spit) just added an archive of our postings to their
database?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 August 2005 22:19:34 UTC+1, TimO wrote:
Dear all,

I would like to install a pair of wooden 7ft gates across my driveway.
Unforunately my driveway has an uphill gradient and I need to open the
gates inwards.

Obviously without some "manipulation" the gates are going to hit the
driveway.

The only trouble is, I don't know how to do the manipulation!!!

I've searched high and low and can't find a way of doing this.

Can anyone please help?

How can I hang my gates so they will open inwards without hitting my
driveway?

Thanks in advance for any help.

TimO

The posts have to be at right angles to the road surface to give clearance tp the bottom of the gate.
Or the hinge pins unequal distances from the posts,

However this also means that the gate will have to be restrained in the open position with hooks, they will tend to self close.

OR you have to make the bottom of the gate to be parallel to the road in the open position. Which means there is a gap when they are closed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ll-742435-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Two way gate lock? julvr Home Repair 4 July 18th 06 01:43 AM
FS- OPEN HOUSE TODAY!!!! jon laborde Home Ownership 1 February 29th 04 07:48 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM