Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging a gate to open up a hill.

trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

Get the digger in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh why do people use this bloody site?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"trev marty" m wrote in
message ...
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please
--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ll-742435-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Oh why do people use this bloody site?

There are several tell-tale headers you could block on, with very little
chance of collateral damage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 16:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
Oh why do people use this bloody site?
Brian

Probably because they've done an internet search and landed up there.
Were you born with the url of uk.d-i-y already in your mind?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote
GB wrote:
trev marty wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote

I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Indeed. Never seen it in real life tho.
I have seen a few with sliding gates.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

Either swing the doors outwards (downhill), or turn them into the 'gull
wing' variety where they swing upwards sideways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Crikey thats one of my photos taken a least 10years ago

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet formulated the question :
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

Either swing the doors outwards (downhill), or turn them into the 'gull wing'
variety where they swing upwards sideways.

I would not usually bother replying to a HOH post, but....

If the drive rises up from the gate closed position and the gate needs
to open in and rise to clear the drive, then the pivot point of the
lower hinge needs to be set back up the drive, in relation to the upper
hinge. How much the pivot point needs to be set back, depends on how
high the gate needs to rise to clear the drive, the length of the gate
and the distance between the two hinge points. I simply added angle
iron pieces to both gate post and gate to move both attachment hinge
points where I needed them.

I worked my offset out by trial and error - hang it on the upper hinge,
Then see how far you need to offset the lower hinge point, to get it to
clear the drive. The gate will lean at an angle when open, but should
be perfectly vertical when closed. My gates are all metal, as are the
gate posts, so it was easy to weld in the angle pieces for the lower
hinges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB submitted this idea :
http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Ah, someone else had exactly the same idea ;o)

I had a company make and install my gates, but they had obviously never
come across the need for gates to open uphill and rise as they open. I
had to fathom out a way to do it, show them how to offset the hinges
and do the tests to determine how much the offset needed to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Oh why do people use this bloody site?

Because most have never even heard of usenet.

"trev marty" m wrote in
message ...
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please
--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ll-742435-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Yes, or make the gate open down the hill not up it.

Not really feasible with a gate that opens onto a road
or street with the hill going up away from the street.

I've heard of rising butts, but.....

Only works for the more gentle hills.

What does work fine is a sliding gate instead of a hinged one.

"FMurtz" wrote in message
trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

Get the digger in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

Either swing the doors outwards (downhill), or turn them into the 'gull
wing' variety where they swing upwards sideways.

Much better IMO to have a sliding gate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/18 15:42, FMurtz wrote:
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

It is - and at the same time, not too difficult to design the hinge
offsets for any given hill. I like it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 04:11:48 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Yes, or make the gate open down the hill not up it.

Not really feasible with a gate that opens onto a road
or street with the hill going up away from the street.

LOL The obnoxious senile Ozzie cretin HAD to go one better, AGAIN!

I've heard of rising butts, but.....

Only works for the more gentle hills.

What does work fine is a sliding gate instead of a hinged one.

Not feasible when there's not enough space to slide the gate in, eh, senile
Rot? LOL

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 04:09:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Oh why do people use this bloody site?

Because most have never even heard of usenet.

Or rather most people are fed up with the bedlam Usenet has become over the
years thanks to obnoxious, mentally challenged trolls like you!

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 04:24:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Either swing the doors outwards (downhill), or turn them into the 'gull
wing' variety where they swing upwards sideways.

Much better IMO to have a sliding gate.

Not feasible when you don't have the space to slide the gate in, Mr
Know-it-all.

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 18:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/10/18 15:42, FMurtz wrote:
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

It is - and at the same time, not too difficult to design the hinge
offsets for any given hill. I like it.

I've seen this before and it is also useful for doors opening into a
room with a sloping floor.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 22/10/2018 17:05, Mark wrote:
"FMurtz" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Crikey thats one of my photos taken a least 10years ago

My point is that I looked on HOH, which shows this NG from 2005, where
you posted the link to your photo. So, all the OP had to do was scroll
down a bit, and he'd have found the photo he was asking for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 17:05:32 +0100, "Mark" wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Crikey thats one of my photos taken a least 10years ago

Not surprising as the thread started in 2005. Why is the bottom panel
of the gate wedge-shaped? Is it just arty farty design?
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:

Not surprising as the thread started in 2005. Why is the bottom panel
of the gate wedge-shaped? Is it just arty farty design?

I guess there is also a cross-slope, and they want the gate to
follow the ground level. The sort of thing to do to keep dogs in
(or rabbits out).

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/18 23:22, GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 17:05, Mark wrote:
"FMurtz" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Crikey thats one of my photos taken a least 10years ago

My point is that I looked on HOH, which shows this NG from 2005, where
you posted the link to your photo.Â* So, all the OP had to do was scroll
down a bit, and he'd have found the photo he was asking for.

Why would I want to look on HoH?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave W wrote:

Not surprising as the thread started in 2005. Why is the bottom panel
of the gate wedge-shaped? Is it just arty farty design?

I guess there is also a cross-slope, and they want the gate to
follow the ground level. The sort of thing to do to keep dogs in
(or rabbits out).

Chris

At our local allotments, the gate has a triangular hinged panel at the
bottom to keep the local rabbit population away. When opening the gate tou
simply pull a cord to raise it off the ground.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote
GB wrote:
trev marty wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote

I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Indeed. Never seen it in real life tho. I have seen a few with sliding
gates.

Would have seen it more if I had seen or thought of it 50 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote
GB wrote:
trev marty wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote

I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Indeed. Never seen it in real life tho. I have seen a few with sliding
gates.

Would have seen it more if I had seen or thought of it 50 years ago.

Likely someone had done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

but you don't get a vertical gate when closed .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:58:28 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Would have seen it more if I had seen or thought of it 50 years ago.

Likely someone had done.

Simply blathering for blathering's sake again, eh, lonely senile cretin? G

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/10/2018 08:07, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/10/18 23:22, GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 17:05, Mark wrote:
"FMurtz" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Crikey thats one of my photos taken a least 10years ago

My point is that I looked on HOH, which shows this NG from 2005, where
you posted the link to your photo.Â* So, all the OP had to do was
scroll down a bit, and he'd have found the photo he was asking for.

Why would I want to look on HoH?

Were you TimO in 2005?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Crikey thats one of my photos taken a least 10years ago

Not surprising as the thread started in 2005. Why is the bottom panel
of the gate wedge-shaped? Is it just arty farty design?
Dave W

House is on a hill pavement slopes downwards
look at the brick work on the pavement side

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 17:40:43 +0100, "Mark" wrote:

.. .

"FMurtz" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 22/10/2018 13:44, trev marty wrote:
replying to Harry Bloomfield, trev marty wrote:
I have the same problem a photo would be terrific please

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/zymotic/2060802.JPG

Sigh, it's on HOH!

Now that is clever.

Crikey thats one of my photos taken a least 10years ago

Not surprising as the thread started in 2005. Why is the bottom panel
of the gate wedge-shaped? Is it just arty farty design?
Dave W

House is on a hill pavement slopes downwards
look at the brick work on the pavement side

Oh yes I see! That makes it even more difficult to make the gate clear
the upward sloping drive.
--
Dave W

Two way gate lock? julvr Home Repair 4 July 18th 06 01:43 AM
FS- OPEN HOUSE TODAY!!!! jon laborde Home Ownership 1 February 29th 04 07:48 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM