WRabbit

Default Loop-in Lighting (sigh)

Yes I should have marked the switch cable with some insulating tape rather
than going 'I'll remember which one it is'.

Bedroom 1 - all ok.

Bedroom 2 - new ceiling rose installed. Switch operates normally, light
goes on and off.

Bedroom 3 - switch operates normally, but when light comes on it's rather
dim. It doesn't require other lights to be on.

All lives (red) are wired together, as are all the earths.

2 neutrals (black) are wired to the neutral block on the new ceiling rose

1 switch live (black) wired to the live in the new ceiling rose.

I presume I've wired the wrong black to the live in the ceiling rose but
would appreciate any thoughts - even the ones that say I'm a numpty for not
marking the cables.

Aaron

WRabbit wrote:
Yes I should have marked the switch cable with some insulating tape rather
than going 'I'll remember which one it is'.

Bedroom 1 - all ok.

Bedroom 2 - new ceiling rose installed. Switch operates normally, light
goes on and off.

Bedroom 3 - switch operates normally, but when light comes on it's rather
dim. It doesn't require other lights to be on.

All lives (red) are wired together, as are all the earths.

2 neutrals (black) are wired to the neutral block on the new ceiling rose

1 switch live (black) wired to the live in the new ceiling rose.

I presume I've wired the wrong black to the live in the ceiling rose but
would appreciate any thoughts - even the ones that say I'm a numpty for not
marking the cables.

http://www.diydata.com/planning/elec...ric_lights.htm
may be of some help to you.

--
Regards,
Aaron.
Richard Polhill

"WRabbit" wrote in
:

Bedroom 3 - switch operates normally, but when light comes on it's
rather dim. It doesn't require other lights to be on.

Sounds more like a faulty switch, light fitting or switch line cable.

--
Rich P
Replace .invalid with .com to reply.
dave stanton

1 switch live (black) wired to the live in the new ceiling rose.

Should be on its own terminal with 2 screws, one for this wire, one where
you will attach the brown wire in the drop cable to the bulb.

Dave
John Rumm

WRabbit wrote:

Bedroom 3 - switch operates normally, but when light comes on it's rather
dim. It doesn't require other lights to be on.

Sounds more like a high resistance connection somewhere... (or a short
to a poor TT earth). Have you checked for broken wire ends, or screws on
the insulation rather than the wire?

All lives (red) are wired together, as are all the earths.

As in three? (live in, out, and too switch).

2 neutrals (black) are wired to the neutral block on the new ceiling rose

plus one side of the pendant?

1 switch live (black) wired to the live in the new ceiling rose.

Usually the return from the switch, wired to the other side fo the pendant.

I presume I've wired the wrong black to the live in the ceiling rose but
would appreciate any thoughts - even the ones that say I'm a numpty for not
marking the cables.

OK, "you are a numpty for not marking the cables!" (feel any better?
nope, thought not ;-)

Time to disconnect all the wires (sans power obviously), stick a
multimeter across live and neutral on each cable in turn (ohms range),
and flick the switch each time. That will soon work out which is the
switch wire.

--
Cheers,

John.

WRabbit

WRabbit wrote:
Yes I should have marked the switch cable with some insulating tape
rather than going 'I'll remember which one it is'.

Bedroom 1 - all ok.

Bedroom 2 - new ceiling rose installed. Switch operates normally,
light goes on and off.

Bedroom 3 - switch operates normally, but when light comes on it's
rather dim. It doesn't require other lights to be on.

Hadn't actually seen the problem when I'd made my first post (had just had
the phone call moaning about the dim light).

Discovered the reason the light was dim - Bedroom 3's switch was turning on
both Bedroom 2 and 3's lights. So I'd managed to connect them up in series.

Swapped what I'd thought was the switch live for one of the 'neutrals' and
all is now ok. Thanks for all the suggestions.

--
NK
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
WRabbit wrote:
I presume I've wired the wrong black to the live in the ceiling rose but
would appreciate any thoughts - even the ones that say I'm a numpty for
not marking the cables.

Easy to check - even if you can't see which reds and blacks are TW&E
'pairs'.

Switch off at the mains and check which pair shorts when the switch is on
and open circuits with it off using a DVM.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.