Default advice on worktop material please

At work we have worktops using generic postformed kitchen worktops.
They have quickly become damaged, allowing water to damage the core
material and causing the covering to peel off.

An ideal replacement would have the following characteristics:
resistant to water damage, easy to obtain, easy to cut and of course
inexpensive.

What choices of material and, if necessary, finishes do I have? Thanks
in advance.

Brian Sharrock

wrote in message
oups.com...
At work we have worktops using generic postformed kitchen worktops.
They have quickly become damaged, allowing water to damage the core
material and causing the covering to peel off.

An ideal replacement would have the following characteristics:

A choice would be wooden worktops. THese are nowadays manufactured
from lots of blocks (normally finger-jointed) and glued together
to form large flat panels cut to appropriate widths (= depth of
cabinets) and lengths (normally available in half-meter increments).

resistant to water damage,

Close grained wood such as Ash is (almost) impervious to water
penetration in most domestic enviroments.

easy to obtain, easy to cut and of course

yes to those ..

inexpensive.

Too inexact a term to use ... I found it to be
'competitive' and reasonable

What choices of material and, if necessary, finishes do I have? Thanks
in advance.

Wooden worktops are available formed from most timbers -
(the variations in colour and patternation are natural
property of the product .

Finishes ... ? A fair amount of rubbing down and application
of oil based sealer/polisher produces a surface to your desire.
I finished up with a slight lustre - we didn't want a high gloss.

--

Brian