Graham Dean

Default Gas Boiler Installation

I'm looking to get a new condensing combi boiler fitted as a replacement for
an old back boiler.
It's going to go into an airing cupboard replacing space from removed
immersion heater -
connecting pipes required under floor across a couple of rooms and down to a
garage
to connect with gas.

For the complete installation (inc controller, wiring, etc) I've been quoted
over £2000
for the fitting (not including parts cost)- does this sound okay,
reasonable, silly??

Graham

Doctor Drivel

"Graham Dean" wrote in message
I'm looking to get a new condensing combi boiler fitted as a replacement

for
an old back boiler.
It's going to go into an airing cupboard replacing space from removed
immersion heater -
connecting pipes required under floor across a couple of rooms and down to

garage
to connect with gas.

For the complete installation (inc controller, wiring, etc) I've been

quoted
over £2000
for the fitting (not including parts cost)- does this sound okay,
reasonable, silly??

Graham

Is this a combi? What make, model, flowrate?

Graham Dean

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Graham Dean" wrote in message
I'm looking to get a new condensing combi boiler fitted as a replacement

for
an old back boiler.
It's going to go into an airing cupboard replacing space from removed
immersion heater -
connecting pipes required under floor across a couple of rooms and down

garage
to connect with gas.

For the complete installation (inc controller, wiring, etc) I've been

quoted
over £2000
for the fitting (not including parts cost)- does this sound okay,
reasonable, silly??

Graham

Is this a combi? What make, model, flowrate?

Combi is ferroli optimax c - would that make a big difference for
installation costs?
(not combi etc costs)

John Rumm

Graham Dean wrote:

For the complete installation (inc controller, wiring, etc) I've been quoted
over ï½£2000
for the fitting (not including parts cost)- does this sound okay,
reasonable, silly??

When you say "not including parts", does that also not include the
boiler itself?

--
Cheers,

John.

O.B.

Its too much. I'd expect it to include the boiler for that.
Mate had very similar job done. he paid =A31200 for the labour.
He also beat them down on price of boiler itself to what he could buy
it online for.

Graham Dean

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Graham Dean wrote:

For the complete installation (inc controller, wiring, etc) I've been

quoted
over ?2000
for the fitting (not including parts cost)- does this sound okay,
reasonable, silly??

When you say "not including parts", does that also not include the
boiler itself?

--
Cheers,

John.

Nope - £3300 altogether, with a ferroli optimax c combi, controller,
thermostat, wiring,
plumbing etc - inc removal of immersion heater, hole in wall.

Still seems a bit too much?..

Graham

tarquinlinbin

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:01:35 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Dean"
wrote:

I'm looking to get a new condensing combi boiler fitted as a replacement for
an old back boiler.
It's going to go into an airing cupboard replacing space from removed
immersion heater -
connecting pipes required under floor across a couple of rooms and down to a
garage
to connect with gas.

For the complete installation (inc controller, wiring, etc) I've been quoted
over £2000
for the fitting (not including parts cost)- does this sound okay,
reasonable, silly??

Graham

Over 3k for a boiler change is probably too much. Get a few quotes off
reputable installers including BG and make sure that the make/model of
boiler is specified. A lot of money can be made by supplying a low
grade boiler at a high grade price..

joe

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

[...]

Combi's are rated by the flowrate. Get a 14 litres per minute @ 35C
temperature rise, or preferably above that figure

DJC

Graham Dean wrote:
I'm looking to get a new condensing combi boiler fitted as a replacement for
an old back boiler.
It's going to go into an airing cupboard replacing space from removed
immersion heater -
connecting pipes required under floor across a couple of rooms and down to a
garage
to connect with gas.

For the complete installation (inc controller, wiring, etc) I've been quoted
over £2000

I've just had a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 24ijunior fitted, with removal
of tanks , changes to pipework, and a lot of work up a long ladder to
2nd floor flat in central london. A full four days work last week. Price
including boiler etc 2,500

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
John Rumm

Graham Dean wrote:

Nope - ï½£3300 altogether, with a ferroli optimax c combi, controller,
thermostat, wiring,
plumbing etc - inc removal of immersion heater, hole in wall.

Still seems a bit too much?..

Sounds a bit steep to me. Even if you are talking four man days of work...

--
Cheers,

John.

Graham Dean

"DJC" wrote in message
. uk...
Graham Dean wrote:
I'm looking to get a new condensing combi boiler fitted as a replacement
for an old back boiler.
It's going to go into an airing cupboard replacing space from removed
immersion heater -
connecting pipes required under floor across a couple of rooms and down
to a garage
to connect with gas.

For the complete installation (inc controller, wiring, etc) I've been
quoted over £2000

I've just had a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 24ijunior fitted, with removal
of tanks , changes to pipework, and a lot of work up a long ladder to 2nd
floor flat in central london. A full four days work last week. Price
including boiler etc 2,500

--
David Clark

David,

Thanks -it does sound like my quote is on the high side then. I'll get a
couple more quotes, but it does sound
like it shouldget closer to £2.5k all in.

Graham

Graham Dean

Thanks for all your advice - very useful.

Cheers,
Graham

DJC

Graham Dean wrote:
"DJC" wrote in message

I've just had a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 24ijunior fitted, with removal
of tanks , changes to pipework, and a lot of work up a long ladder to 2nd
floor flat in central london. A full four days work last week. Price
including boiler etc 2,500

Thanks -it does sound like my quote is on the high side then. I'll get a
couple more quotes, but it does sound
like it shouldget closer to £2.5k all in.

The job was certainly much cheaper than the quote I had in January which
was over 3000 And that would have required another 1000 to alter the
built in wardrobe as that plumber didn't believe the boiler could be
fitted in the best available space.

The person who did the job last week did tell me that his business has
really died since April. Before he was putting in 2 new boilers a week,
now its about one a month. "People hear the prices and say sorry..."

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Tony Bryer

In article , Djc
wrote:
The person who did the job last week did tell me that his business
has really died since April. Before he was putting in 2 new boilers
a week, now its about one a month. "People hear the prices and say
sorry..."

(a) given that the cost of a condensing boiler is not that much more
than that of a comparable non-condensor and there's not much more to
installation then the new prices shouldn't be that different; and (b)
a better salesman would point out that althouugh the initial spend is
a little more, the savings in energy costs make this a sound
investment.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Combi's are rated by the flowrate. Get a 14 litres per minute @ 35C
temperature rise, or preferably above that figure

And prepare for a cold shower/lukewarm bath. Stick a proper boiler in
with a space hogging copper tanks. 9/10 cats prefer it.

Now get back to that counter drivel - you are paid to work until 5:30
selling copper tanks to the cognoscenti.

DJC

Tony Bryer wrote:

(a) given that the cost of a condensing boiler is not that much more
than that of a comparable non-condensor and there's not much more to
installation then the new prices shouldn't be that different; and (b)
a better salesman would point out that althouugh the initial spend is
a little more, the savings in energy costs make this a sound
investment.

i) the condensing boiler was ~ 200-300 more than the equivalent
non-condensing model from W-B

ii) running the condensate pipework by the only possible route was not
an easy job

iii) the old cast iron boiler lasted 20 years, I reckon the new one
might manage ten.

iv) My total gas bill last year £ 160. Allowing that the electric shower
will be replaced by gas, which s cheaper on fuel but not quite as
efficient for that purpose, I doubt if my annual saving will be as much
as £ 50.

Conclusion: this is costing me a lot of money; justified not through
energy saving but because -

a) The 20 year old electric shower needs, but can no longer be repaired.
b) Running the upgraded electrical supply required for a new shower
would be no less disruptive than replumbing.
c) I anticipate the serious consequences of a leaking boiler on a second
floor flat.
d) At present prices this flat is worth around 7,000 m^2. The cupboard
space freed up is worth something near the cost of the work.

So, I have kept the wolf from the door of the plumber and his starving
children, created work for otherwise useless ****s at CORGI, ODPM
etc[1], enhanced the value of my property, secured the ceiling of my
neighbours etc. But I have not saved the planet from the consequences of
manufacturing a throwaway boiler, and will not do much, if anything, to
reduce overall energy use in years to come.

[1]witness conversation between plumber and person at CORGI call
centre take boiler registration details: "that address isn't on my
database", "but the customer has lived here twenty years", "but its not
on my database"...

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
DJC wrote:
iv) My total gas bill last year £ 160.

You must have a very small, very well insulated or very cold flat. ;-)

Allowing that the electric shower will be replaced by gas, which s
cheaper on fuel but not quite as efficient for that purpose, I doubt if
my annual saving will be as much as £ 50.

20% is the likely saving by changing to a condenser for space heating,
unless you had a very inefficient old boiler.

A gas 'powered' shower is likely to provide a far better flow than any
electric shower so might be difficult to do a direct comparison, cost wise.

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"DJC" wrote in message
. uk...
Tony Bryer wrote:

(a) given that the cost of a condensing boiler is not that much more
than that of a comparable non-condensor and there's not much more to
installation then the new prices shouldn't be that different; and (b)
a better salesman would point out that althouugh the initial spend is
a little more, the savings in energy costs make this a sound
investment.

i) the condensing boiler was ~ 200-300 more than the equivalent
non-condensing model from W-B

You will make back that £200 quite quickly.

ii) running the condensate pipework by the only possible route was not
an easy job

But manageable of course.

iii) the old cast iron boiler lasted 20 years, I reckon the new one
might manage ten.

I reckon 20 plus.

iv) My total gas bill last year £ 160. Allowing that the electric shower
will be replaced by gas, which s cheaper on fuel but not quite as
efficient for that purpose,

Since when has an electric shower been more efficient or anything better
than a normal mixer? Electric showers are made by Satan.

I doubt if my annual saving will be as much
as £ 50.

Probably more, but say 4 years to payback and £50 better off a year, more in
4 years as gas goes up in price and a shower that is incomparable to the
Satanic offering you have.

[...]

You need to update, and you are doing it with cheap to run equipment. What
a weirdo. It is plain you hurt when spending any money whatsoever.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
iii) the old cast iron boiler lasted 20 years, I reckon the new one
might manage ten.

I reckon 20 plus.

So why aren't they guaranteed for 20 years?

Do you work for Curry's now?

Most here know that when a salesman says a product will last 20 years
while being guaranteed for perhaps 3, they're lying through their teeth.

Which you are perfection at.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
iii) the old cast iron boiler lasted 20 years, I reckon the new one
might manage ten.

I reckon 20 plus.

So why aren't they guaranteed for 20 years?

The same reason why the old boilers were not. Boy are you dumb. 5 year
guarantees of boilers and in some cases 5 years on certain parts, is now
common. In the time of cast iron crap, only one year guarantees were given.

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Combi's are rated by the flowrate. Get a 14 litres per minute @ 35C
temperature rise, or preferably above that figure

And

snip misinformation from a lunatic

Doctor Drivel

"DJC" wrote in message
. uk...
Graham Dean wrote:
"DJC" wrote in message

[...]

He needs to look more. Good cheap condensing boilers are around. The new
Halstead is very small and quite good and well priced.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
iii) the old cast iron boiler lasted 20 years, I reckon the new one
might manage ten.

I reckon 20 plus.

So why aren't they guaranteed for 20 years?

The same reason why the old boilers were not. Boy are you dumb. 5 year
guarantees of boilers and in some cases 5 years on certain parts, is now
common. In the time of cast iron crap, only one year guarantees were
given.

Yes, things have changed.

But in the case of 'your' Prius, you claim the batteries and power train
are guaranteed for what? 8 years? even although they're not. And also
claim they'll last 15 or somesuch.

Which is just quoting adspeak. As usual.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
DJC

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Most here know that when a salesman says a product will last 20 years
while being guaranteed for perhaps 3, they're lying through their teeth.

My new Worcester-Bosch come with a 1 year guarantee, two years if I fill
in the spam-me card, have recommended service etc. I went to the W-B
website to look at their maintenence plan. It seems that would cost £
186 pa for a service contract or 261 for the protection racket. which
is more han a quarter of the capital cost of the new boiler. Which
might suggest even five years of trouble free life may be pushing it.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

Jim Scott

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:00:53 GMT, DJC wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Most here know that when a salesman says a product will last 20 years
while being guaranteed for perhaps 3, they're lying through their teeth.

My new Worcester-Bosch come with a 1 year guarantee, two years if I fill
in the spam-me card, have recommended service etc. I went to the W-B
website to look at their maintenence plan. It seems that would cost £
186 pa for a service contract or 261 for the protection racket. which
is more han a quarter of the capital cost of the new boiler. Which
might suggest even five years of trouble free life may be pushing it.

I got mine about 5 years ago. I did not sign any contracts, but I did have
the receipt. A microchip went wrong three times. They warned me at the time
(5 years ago remember) that if it was not faulty they would charge £83.50
call out. As it turned out, it was a known fault and eventually they
redesigned the part and it cost me nothing. I had tried a local Corgi man
who said he could get the part for ~£12 and fit it for about the same, but
pushed me to hold them to their 1 year guarantee. Needless to say I use him
for my annual service and would get him in if anything went wrong. So
far.... fingers crossed.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
iii) the old cast iron boiler lasted 20 years, I reckon the new

one
might manage ten.

I reckon 20 plus.

So why aren't they guaranteed for 20 years?

The same reason why the old boilers were not. Boy are you dumb. 5 year
guarantees of boilers and in some cases 5 years on certain parts, is now
common. In the time of cast iron crap, only one year guarantees were
given.

Yes, things have changed.

But in the case of 'your' Prius,
you claim the batteries and power train
are guaranteed for what? 8 years?

Yes. Boy is this one dumb. The topic is boilers and he is on about a car
guarantee.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yes, things have changed.

But in the case of 'your' Prius, you claim the batteries and power
train are guaranteed for what? 8 years?

Yes. Boy is this one dumb. The topic is boilers and he is on about a
car guarantee.

Technology has left you well behind?

Hint. Just about everything these days is controlled by electronics.
Microprocessors. And the design of those can be well done with a projected
life of near infinity, or near zero if rubbish. And many of 'your' boiler
makers try to design their electronics to only just survive the warranty
period. So they can make large profits by replacements.

It's child's play to make electronics with no accurately projected life.
Only those like you with no understanding of anything think failures are
inevitable.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yes, things have changed.

But in the case of 'your' Prius, you claim the batteries and power
train are guaranteed for what? 8 years?

Yes. Boy is this one dumb. The topic is boilers and he is on about a
car guarantee.

Technology has left you well behind?

No. Your brain has left everyone behind in its wandering. This is typical.
Unable to focus. This displays that care in the community has failed. Tone
will have to do something about it.

raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yes, things have changed.

But in the case of 'your' Prius, you claim the batteries and power
train are guaranteed for what? 8 years?

Yes. Boy is this one dumb. The topic is boilers and he is on about a
car guarantee.

Technology has left you well behind?

Hint. Just about everything these days is controlled by electronics.
Microprocessors. And the design of those can be well done with a projected
life of near infinity, or near zero if rubbish. And many of 'your' boiler
makers try to design their electronics to only just survive the warranty
period. So they can make large profits by replacements.

It's child's play to make electronics with no accurately projected life.
Only those like you with no understanding of anything think failures are
inevitable.

You mean ... the glossy brochures don't tell the full story ?

Shock horror

--
geoff

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

I am also shocked as well Maxie. Deeply shocked.

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Hint. Just about everything these days is controlled by electronics.
Microprocessors. And the design of those can be well done with a

projected
life of near infinity, or near zero if rubbish. And many of 'your' boiler
makers try to design their electronics to only just survive the warranty
period. So they can make large profits by replacements.

It's child's play to make electronics with no accurately projected life.
Only those like you with no understanding of anything think failures are
inevitable.

You mean ... the glossy brochures don't tell the full story ?

Shock horror

I am also shocked as well Maxie. Deeply shocked.

I can well imagine that you are

--
geoff
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Hint. Just about everything these days is controlled by electronics.
Microprocessors. And the design of those can be well done with a

projected
life of near infinity, or near zero if rubbish. And many of 'your'

boiler
makers try to design their electronics to only just survive the

warranty
period. So they can make large profits by replacements.

It's child's play to make electronics with no accurately projected

life.
Only those like you with no understanding of anything think failures

are
inevitable.

You mean ... the glossy brochures don't tell the full story ?

Shock horror

I am also shocked as well Maxie. Deeply shocked.

I can well imagine that you are

It is clear Maxie, that we both may require shock therapy.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yes. Boy is this one dumb. The topic is boilers and he is on about
a car guarantee.

Technology has left you well behind?

No. Your brain has left everyone behind in its wandering.

You can't see the connection between electronics failures in boilers and
electronics in general?

Boy are you dumb.

I'd recommend night school. You could learn much there.

--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

[...]

Well, it's fairly obvious that you are in need of therapy

--
geoff

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Yes. Boy is this one dumb. The topic is boilers and he is on about
a car guarantee.

Technology has left you well behind?

No. Your brain has left everyone behind in its wandering.

You can't see the connection between
electronics failures

Boy are you dumb. He confuses boilers, cars and now electronics. Senility.
Sad but true.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

[...]

Yes Maxie, it said above, "shock therapy" for two,.

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:00:53 +0000, DJC wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Most here know that when a salesman says a product will last 20 years
while being guaranteed for perhaps 3, they're lying through their teeth.

My new Worcester-Bosch come with a 1 year guarantee, two years if I fill
in the spam-me card, have recommended service etc. I went to the W-B
website to look at their maintenence plan. It seems that would cost £
186 pa for a service contract or 261 for the protection racket. which
is more han a quarter of the capital cost of the new boiler. Which
might suggest even five years of trouble free life may be pushing it.

Glad to see you got the boiler sorted. 8-)

I see no reason why the new boiler shouldn't give you substantially more
than 10 years service although perhaps with a little more maintenance than
the old unit.

DJC

Ed Sirett wrote:
Glad to see you got the boiler sorted. 8-)

Yes. thanks for the advice a while back. Found a local corgi who did a
reasonable job, though perhaps a case to illustrate why part P needs to
apply to plumbers.

I see no reason why the new boiler shouldn't give you substantially more
than 10 years service although perhaps with a little more maintenance than
the old unit.

yes, thats what the plumber reckoned.

This weekend is dedicated to reinstating the floor.

next month the wet room, I hope.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Boiler Installation Cost David UK diy 5 May 9th 05 07:00 PM
Boiler installation - how much nospam UK diy 7 November 26th 04 01:21 AM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Condensing boiler - odd installation mike.james UK diy 57 October 27th 03 08:19 PM