Mr Fizzion

Default 15 mm pipe OK for heating circuit?

I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Thanks

Mr F.

Ian Stirling

Mr Fizzion wrote:
I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Probably not.

Mains pressure is utterly irrelevant.
What's important is how fast the pump can drive the flow round the circuit,
through the radiators, and back.
It's got to be fast enough that the boiler can output its full output, without
exceeding its maximum output temperature. (and indeed, with a combi, you
want it quite a lot lower for efficiency.)

Unless you have a very small house, with all the radiators next to each
other, it's likely that you will need to use 22mm, at least for the
flow/return.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mr Fizzion wrote:
I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Think you need to do a little research before starting this project.

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Rick

On 24 Jul 2005 21:48:46 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Mr Fizzion wrote:
I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Probably not.

Mains pressure is utterly irrelevant.
What's important is how fast the pump can drive the flow round the circuit,
through the radiators, and back.
It's got to be fast enough that the boiler can output its full output, without
exceeding its maximum output temperature. (and indeed, with a combi, you
want it quite a lot lower for efficiency.)

Unless you have a very small house, with all the radiators next to each
other, it's likely that you will need to use 22mm, at least for the
flow/return.

See my reply to your previous question. Take a sketch of your house,
and your pipe runs into the Harrision McCarthy shop and they will work
all this stuff out with you.

If you are unlucky enough to live miles from Manchester, then a local
plumbers merchant may do the same trick for you.

Rick

Doctor Drivel

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Mr Fizzion wrote:

I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Probably not.

Mains pressure is utterly irrelevant.

True.

What's important is how fast the pump
can drive the flow round the circuit,
through the radiators, and back.

Not quite.The pipe sizes have to carry the required amount of heat.

It's got to be fast enough that the
boiler can output its full output, without
exceeding its maximum output temperature.

See above.

(and indeed, with a combi, you
want it quite a lot lower for efficiency.)

Uh!

Unless you have a very small house,
with all the radiators next to each
other, it's likely that you will need to
use 22mm, at least for the
flow/return.

He needs to calculate the heat load and pipe sizes. He has a system. If it
works replace the pipes type of type, if he can't do the calcs, and over
size in some instances.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mr Fizzion writes:
I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Probably not. 15mm pipework will have a power limit of
around 6kW unless the flow rate is high enough to be noisy.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mr Fizzion wrote:
I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Think you need to do a little research before starting this project.

And take no notice of this one too. He was encouraging people not to
service gas boilers. He didn't service his for 18 years. Yes you heard it
right.

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Mr Fizzion wrote:
I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Think you need to do a little research before starting this project.

And take no notice of this one too. He was encouraging people not to
service gas boilers. He didn't service his for 18 years. Yes you heard it
right.

Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

what a rip off

Tell us exactly what is to be gained by servicing a properly working
boiler again

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Think you need to do a little research before starting this project.

And take no notice of this one too.

So you think 15mm will be ok for the entire installation?

Remind us again of your qualifications?

Chief ****** and what else?

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
And take no notice of this one too. He was encouraging people not to
service gas boilers. He didn't service his for 18 years. Yes you
heard it right.

The laugh is the time increases with each mention of it from him.
Rather like the MPG from the Prius he doesn't possess.

Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

what a rip off

Tell us exactly what is to be gained by servicing a properly working
boiler again

You're asking a question he can't answer. So situation normal.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Ian Stirling

Mr Fizzion wrote:

I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Probably not.

Mains pressure is utterly irrelevant.

True.

What's important is how fast the pump
can drive the flow round the circuit,
through the radiators, and back.

Not quite.The pipe sizes have to carry the required amount of heat.

What utter crap.
You could get a nearly ideal CH system, with 6mm ID copper tube,
Taking a flow rate of 1m/s, 1/40l of water per second, so 100W/K, so at
40K delta-t, that's 4Kw.
Call it a needed flow rate for 20Kw of 5m/s.
You will need to drastically upgrade the pump, but it's not even getting
close to levels where it may damage the pipe.

However, this will rarely, if ever make sense, unless the structure is
concrete, with a high diamond content, and meter thick walls.

It turned out that when I went into the kitchen, for a cocoa, I found
a length of 6mm ID hose, 2m long.
At 1m head, it flows 250ml in 20 seconds, or 12.5ml/s.
Or 1/10th the flow needed to get to 5m/s.
Say 10m head/m, for a 30m run, and you get to 30bar pressure.
Conventional radiators may have problems.
Doctor Drivel

Mr Fizzion wrote:

I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Probably not.

Mains pressure is utterly irrelevant.

True.

What's important is how fast the pump
can drive the flow round the circuit,
through the radiators, and back.

Not quite.The pipe sizes have to carry the required amount of heat.

What utter crap.

Oh my God not another one. It is bad enough having the Hibernian lunatic
here. What tripe is he on about?.....

You could get a nearly ideal CH system, with 6mm ID copper tube,
Taking a flow rate of 1m/s, 1/40l of water per second, so 100W/K, so at
40K delta-t, that's 4Kw.
Call it a needed flow rate for 20Kw of 5m/s.
You will need to drastically upgrade the pump,

A super high pressure, high flow rate pump could do a heating system with
4mm pipes, but would make one hell of a racket. The pumps speed on a
domestic system is limited by the noise and vibration it creates. That is
why larger pipe sizes and slower pump speeds are required.

I saw an experiments system once, using very small bore microbore pipes.
Only spayed manifolds and "Y" tees used, with no elbows whatsoever
anywhere, a tubed cooper boiler and clips with rubber anti-vibration
inserts. A high speed pump was used. It worked. It only took the slightest
deviation from the above a excessive noise was created. It was never taken
up as it was deemed impractical. The time saved threading microbore would
be offset by time intensive attention to other matters. Dropped and never
seen again.

but it's not even getting
close to levels where it
may damage the pipe.

It may damage your ears and sleep though.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Mr Fizzion wrote:
I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Think you need to do a little research before starting this project.

And take no notice of this one too. He was encouraging people not to
service gas boilers. He didn't service his for 18 years. Yes you heard

it
right.

Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

Maxie!!! You are not telling me you are also walking disaster area as well
are you?

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Think you need to do a little research before starting this project.

And take no notice of this one too.

So you think 15mm will be ok for the entire installation?

Lunacy reign firm in his mind.

snip drivel

Doctor Drivel

raden wrote:

And take no notice of this one too. He was encouraging people not to
service gas boilers. He didn't service his for 18 years. Yes you
heard it right.

The laugh is the time increases

A pair of people that no one should take any notice of in any way shape or
form. Dangerous man, dangerous.

Chris McBrien

When I installed my own C/H system 22 years ago, my tame Plumber said run
the larget pipe as far as you can.

I layed, two runs, about 40 feet each of 22mm. pipe. One pipe for the HOT
feed and one for the COLD return. These two piped were about four inches
apart.

Where I needed a radiator placing I inserted two 22mm to 10mm "Tees", one in
the feed and one in the return pipe.
I then ran about 18 inches of the 10mm pipe to each end of the associated
radiator. The short pieces of 10mm are fairly easy to shape by hand. If you
are worried about kinking the pipe, fill it with fine sand.

For the upstairs section I did reduce the main feed/return pipes down to
15mm but still used the 10mm. tails to connect to the radiators.

My tame Plumber also said "Top Entry, Bottom Exit". He was, of course,
referring to the radiator connections where the HOT feed is attached to the
top of the radiator and the COLD return is taken from the diametrically
opposite corner of the radiator. This gives the longest path length for the
water and is thermally correct. However it can be difficult to hide the HOT
feed pipe going to the top of the radiator.

Chris.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Doctor Drivel

"Chris McBrien" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

He sounds like he was from the ark. No need to have top connections any
more.

Christian McArdle

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

It depends on the power capacity of your radiators and the system designed
flow/return temperature difference. However, for most systems 6kW of rads is
a good ballpark for 15mm pipe. 6kW is appromixately a one bed flat or one
floor of a terraced house.

If you go below the recommended, you get a noisy system, but it still works
unless it is drastically undersized. Designing for a modern 70/50 flow
(which results in larger radiators) allows more power through the pipes than
the old 82/70 design, so you could get away with up to 10kW, if you're
feeling tight and balance the system right.

Generally speaking, however, it is best to run either a 22mm trunk with 15mm
(or less) spurs to radiators, or to use a manifold system, with 22mm to the
boiler and 15mm (or less) from the manifold to the rads.

Christian.

Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

It depends on the power capacity of your radiators and the system designed
flow/return temperature difference. However, for most systems 6kW of rads

is
a good ballpark for 15mm pipe. 6kW is appromixately a one bed flat or one
floor of a terraced house.

If you go below the recommended, you get a noisy system, but it still

works
unless it is drastically undersized. Designing for a modern 70/50 flow
(which results in larger radiators) allows more power through the pipes

than
the old 82/70 design, so you could get away with up to 10kW, if you're
feeling tight and balance the system right.

Using a condensing boiler, with a wide flow/return delta T, 20C plus, the
pipe sizes can be smaller as more heat is transferred. The problem is pump
noise. I doubt if 15mm would do on any domestic CH system, unless a very
small studio apartment, which is little more than one room.

Generally speaking, however, it is best to run either a 22mm trunk with

15mm
(or less) spurs to radiators, or to use a manifold system, with 22mm to

the
boiler and 15mm (or less) from the manifold to the rads.

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ws.net,
"Doctor Drivel" writes:

He sounds like he was from the ark. No need to have top connections any
more.

Gosh, you changed your mind...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2138cfd9fa10b2

Seems like I managed to teach you something.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Doctor Drivel

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ws.net,
"Doctor Drivel" writes:

He sounds like he was from the ark. No need to have top connections any
more.

Gosh, you changed your mind...

I haven't. It is better to have a top connection for flow, but the
advantages is slim to having bottom. When it was gravity it had to be top
connection.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ead/c71a38a0b1
0ba87e/952138cfd9fa10b2?hl=en#952138cfd9fa10b2

Seems like I managed to teach you something.

Nothing at all.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
A super high pressure, high flow rate pump could do a heating system
with 4mm pipes, but would make one hell of a racket. The pumps speed on
a domestic system is limited by the noise and vibration it creates.
That is why larger pipe sizes and slower pump speeds are required.

So our resident lunatic, who theorises about everything, but knows the
practicallities of nothing, is at it again.

This is a DIY group. Buy all means theorise, but make sure everyone knows
that's what you're doing. Unless you're about to recommend this super high
pressure system that makes Concord sound quiet.

If not, shut the **** up.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Using a condensing boiler, with a wide flow/return delta T, 20C plus,
the pipe sizes can be smaller as more heat is transferred. The problem
is pump noise. I doubt if 15mm would do on any domestic CH system,
unless a very small studio apartment, which is little more than one room.

The OP said house. Can't you read?

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

raden wrote:

And take no notice of this one too. He was encouraging people not to
service gas boilers. He didn't service his for 18 years. Yes you
heard it right.

The laugh is the time increases

A pair of people that no one should take any notice of in any way shape or
form. Dangerous man, dangerous.

I thought you had multiple personality disorder, not just a split
personality

--
geoff
raden

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/.../thread/c71a38
a0b10ba87e/952138cfd9fa10b2?hl=en#952138cfd9fa10b2

Seems like I managed to teach you something.

You're not taking into account the multiple personalities, are you ?

--
geoff

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Mr Fizzion wrote:
I am going to replace the entire radiator system in my house,
including all the pipes. The system will be driven by a combi boiler
and the mains water pressure is 4 bar.

Will 15 mm pipe be OK for the entire radiator circuit?

Think you need to do a little research before starting this project.

And take no notice of this one too. He was encouraging people not to
service gas boilers. He didn't service his for 18 years. Yes you heard

it
right.

Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

Maxie!!! You are not telling me you are also walking disaster area as well
are you?

It's worked more or less (i.e. a couple of minor things requiring
changing as might be expected) faultlessly for all that time

No, I'm not a walking disaster area

as I said, what's to service ?

--
geoff
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ws.net,
"Doctor Drivel" writes:

He sounds like he was from the ark. No need to have top connections any
more.

Gosh, you changed your mind...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/.../thread/c71a38
a0b10ba87e/952138cfd9fa10b2?hl=en#952138cfd9fa10b2

Seems like I managed to teach you something.

You're not taking into account the multiple personalities, are you ?

Maxie, look up the word personalities...and frocks.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Mr Fizzion wrote:
[...]

Maxie, you are very dangerous and irresponsible.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

Maxie!!! You are not telling me you are also walking disaster area as well
are you?

It's worked more or less (i.e. a couple of minor things requiring
changing as might be expected) faultlessly for all that time

No, I'm not a walking disaster area

as I said, what's to service ?

Yes. Despite countless requests to Evil to say just what he'd 'service'
each year on an old basic electric room sealed boiler we're met with a
deafening silence. So by definition - yet again - he doesn't know what
he's talking about.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Mr Fizzion wrote:
[...]

No, I'm not

--
geoff

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ws.net,
"Doctor Drivel" writes:

He sounds like he was from the ark. No need to have top connections any
more.

Gosh, you changed your mind...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/.../thread/c71a38
a0b10ba87e/952138cfd9fa10b2?hl=en#952138cfd9fa10b2

Seems like I managed to teach you something.

You're not taking into account the multiple personalities, are you ?

Maxie, look up the word personalities...and frocks.

I'll leave the looking up frocks to you

there's prolly a binary newsgroup for people like you

--
geoff
Doctor Drivel

raden wrote:
Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

Maxie!!! You are not telling me you are also walking disaster area as

well
are you?

It's worked more or less (i.e. a couple of minor things requiring
changing as might be expected) faultlessly for all that time

No, I'm not a walking disaster area

as I said, what's to service ?

Yes. Despite

Unbelievable!! Two incompetents who would willingly blow the street up to
save a few shillings. I can't believe it.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message

ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Mr Fizzion wrote:
[...]

Maxie, once again and repeat this to yourself 10 times: "Maxie is very
dangerous and irresponsible".

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andrew

Gabriel
writes
In article ws.net,
"Doctor Drivel" writes:

He sounds like he was from the ark. No need to have top connections

any
more.

Gosh, you changed your mind...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/.../thread/c71a38
a0b10ba87e/952138cfd9fa10b2?hl=en#952138cfd9fa10b2

Seems like I managed to teach you something.

You're not taking into account the multiple personalities, are you ?

Maxie, look up the word personalities...and frocks.

I'll leave the looking up frocks to you

Maxie you are so high up that tree the whole can't fail but to look up your
frock.

there's prolly a binary newsgroup for people like you

You wish, they all for your types.

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

**** off you moron

--
geoff

raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

raden wrote:
Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

Maxie!!! You are not telling me you are also walking disaster area as

well
are you?

It's worked more or less (i.e. a couple of minor things requiring
changing as might be expected) faultlessly for all that time

No, I'm not a walking disaster area

as I said, what's to service ?

Yes. Despite

Unbelievable!! Two incompetents who would willingly blow the street up to
save a few shillings. I can't believe it.

As I said - what's to service

And by what mechanism am I likely to blow the street up?

If my boiler was to stop working properly, I'd know, and I'd know what
to do

Answer the questions

--
geoff
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

raden wrote:
Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

Maxie!!! You are not telling me you are also walking disaster area

as
well
are you?

It's worked more or less (i.e. a couple of minor things requiring
changing as might be expected) faultlessly for all that time

No, I'm not a walking disaster area

as I said, what's to service ?

Yes. Despite

Unbelievable!! Two incompetents who would willingly blow the street up

save a few shillings. I can't believe it.

As I said - what's to service

And by what mechanism am I likely to blow the street up?

Incompetence and gross neglect. Shameful.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
[...]

Good idea Maxie, and re[peat that to yourself as well. Self abuse Maxie,
self abuse.

raden

In message s.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

raden wrote:
Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

Maxie!!! You are not telling me you are also walking disaster area

as
well
are you?

It's worked more or less (i.e. a couple of minor things requiring
changing as might be expected) faultlessly for all that time

No, I'm not a walking disaster area

as I said, what's to service ?

Yes. Despite

Unbelievable!! Two incompetents who would willingly blow the street up

save a few shillings. I can't believe it.

As I said - what's to service

And by what mechanism am I likely to blow the street up?

Incompetence and gross neglect. Shameful.

As usual - no answer

--
geoff
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message s.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

raden wrote:
Mine got serviced once in 18 years early in it's life

Maxie!!! You are not telling me you are also walking disaster

area
as
well
are you?

It's worked more or less (i.e. a couple of minor things requiring
changing as might be expected) faultlessly for all that time

No, I'm not a walking disaster area

as I said, what's to service ?

Yes. Despite

Unbelievable!! Two incompetents who would willingly blow the street

up
save a few shillings. I can't believe it.

As I said - what's to service

And by what mechanism am I likely to blow the street up?

Incompetence and gross neglect. Shameful.

As usual - no answer

Maxie, that was a very accurate answer indeed. You have no shame at all.