Keith

Default Roofer Quote

Hi all

I've been quoted =A3658 by a roofing company, to:

- Replace 8 or so slates which have come down
- Clean the accumulated muck out from the bits between the window
frames and the slates in the upstairs bay windows
- Replace a section of shattered plastic guttering with a cast iron
section (maybe 3 metres).

No experience of having roofing work done: is this quote reasonable, or
is it on the high side ?

Cheers,
Keith.

Lobster

Keith wrote:
I've been quoted £658 by a roofing company, to:

- Replace 8 or so slates which have come down
- Clean the accumulated muck out from the bits between the window
frames and the slates in the upstairs bay windows
- Replace a section of shattered plastic guttering with a cast iron
section (maybe 3 metres).

No experience of having roofing work done: is this quote reasonable, or
is it on the high side ?

Are they erecting scaffolding to do the job (which is probably a health
and safety requirement these days) or doing it from ladders etc? If the
latter, then yes, that's pretty high IMHO. Mind you the cast iron
gutter won't be cheap.

David
Keith

Lobster wrote:

Are they erecting scaffolding to do the job (which is probably a health
and safety requirement these days) or doing it from ladders etc? If the
latter, then yes, that's pretty high IMHO. Mind you the cast iron
gutter won't be cheap.

David

No scaffolding: ladders only.

Lobster

Keith wrote:

Lobster wrote:

Are they erecting scaffolding to do the job (which is probably a health
and safety requirement these days) or doing it from ladders etc? If the
latter, then yes, that's pretty high IMHO. Mind you the cast iron
gutter won't be cheap.

No scaffolding: ladders only.

Well looking at some recent invoices of mine, a recent bit of roughly
comparable roof work I had done included fitting (not supplying) a Velux
window, renewing a 6-foot length of guttering, supply and fitting two
through-the-tiles vent ducts, plus checking over the whole roof and
replacing a few duff tiles - total 211 GBP incl VAT. Another one -
totally renewing a 3mx2m -ish flat roof, including baseboard - 634 GBP.
Finally, replacing a whole knackered downpipe and hopper - 94 GBP. (I
shouldn't own up to these in a diy newsgroup, should I - but I'm afraid
roofers are one of the few tradespeople I do employ!)

You might want to consider how long the job will take to do, how much
the cost of materials will be, and come up with a rough hourly rate
based on the quote - it sounds pretty high in your case!

David
Egremont

I had a roof serviced (mostly front elevation), ie about 8 slates,
repointing apex tles and some flashing repaired for about £350 (Midlands).
Two men 2 hours work each.

About one months later, a small but significant hole appeared - a
slipped/broken slate or similar. To cut a long story short this was a
consequence of the earlier work but they didn't want to fix it and I
couldn't be bothered to pursue through courts. Anyway after much leaving
details and not getting calls back, people not showing up etc I finally got
a quote to fix - £410 inc VAT!. In the end I remedied the situation with
some foam filler & black paint- cost about £3 minus unused foam filler
$2-80, will do fine 'till the roof need servicing next time.

BTW does Britain needs a public categorised internet database, where folks
can report a brief description of a job (or quote), location, whether it was
done OK and what it cost (but not name/libel who did it!) so that we all
know the going rate and when we're being ripped off?. Top of the list would
be the category 'new boiler installation'.

Egremont.

raden

In message . com, Keith
writes
Hi all

I've been quoted £658 by a roofing company, to:

- Replace 8 or so slates which have come down
- Clean the accumulated muck out from the bits between the window
frames and the slates in the upstairs bay windows
- Replace a section of shattered plastic guttering with a cast iron
section (maybe 3 metres).

No experience of having roofing work done: is this quote reasonable, or
is it on the high side ?

Sounds good for the roofer

--
geoff
madmax

On 21 Jul 2005 00:18:37 -0700, "Keith"
wrote:

Hi all

I've been quoted £658 by a roofing company, to:

- Replace 8 or so slates which have come down
- Clean the accumulated muck out from the bits between the window
frames and the slates in the upstairs bay windows
- Replace a section of shattered plastic guttering with a cast iron
section (maybe 3 metres).

No experience of having roofing work done: is this quote reasonable, or
is it on the high side ?

Cheers,
Keith.

Maybe you have your heart set on re-instating the iron gutter but if
you wanted to DIY like for like the gutter would cost 5 UKP and simply
clips into existing brackets and the slates start off at 1 UKP each
from most builders merchants just take one of the old ones along and
ask for advice. So that will be £13 .
Keith

All

Thanks for your comments: will get further quotes !

Cheers,
Keith.

Roofer Contract Dispute Lisa Taylor Home Ownership 20 June 17th 05 04:40 PM
Roofer Contract Dispute Lisa Taylor Home Repair 21 June 17th 05 04:40 PM
A Very Bad Roofer kiki Home Ownership 10 February 28th 05 09:47 PM
Problem with roofer. Harri Home Ownership 8 January 23rd 05 04:03 AM
Final Payment Huff Leslie Home Repair 9 March 8th 04 01:46 AM