Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

kiki

Default A Very Bad Roofer

I had a solar system installed on my rooftop by Bilt-Well a few years
ago. They had damaged my rooftop and causing a large amount of leaking
since then. After I contacted them(numerous times), they said they'd
no longer in solar business and will not do anything to fix the
problem. I'm tring to find out if there are more people like myself who
want to solve this problem.

John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
"kiki" wrote:

I had a solar system installed on my rooftop by Bilt-Well a few years
ago. They had damaged my rooftop and causing a large amount of leaking
since then. After I contacted them(numerous times), they said they'd
no longer in solar business and will not do anything to fix the
problem. I'm tring to find out if there are more people like myself who
want to solve this problem.

What do yo mean by "people like myself"? Are you looking for
people who have a serious problem, but would rather bitch and
complain than get it fixed? The phone book is full of people
who repair roofs. Call one, and get it fixed. Fix it before
you cause serious damage or mold in your house. If you want
to go after the solar people, that is a separate issue. Talk
to your family attorney and either go after them, or forget
about them. Just don't whine about it.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
itsallgood

kiki wrote:
I had a solar system installed on my rooftop by Bilt-Well a few years
ago. They had damaged my rooftop and causing a large amount of

leaking
since then. After I contacted them(numerous times), they said they'd
no longer in solar business and will not do anything to fix the
problem. I'm tring to find out if there are more people like myself

who
want to solve this problem.

There are plenty more people like you Kiki, but they probably don't
have a roof problem. They have a car problem or a TV problem or
whatever. The common thread is they don't consider whom they buy from
and don't follow up on things until too late to do anything.
The good news is that you saved so much money with the solar roof (and
spring water) that you can afford to call someone new to repair the
roof.

Travis Jordan

kiki wrote:
I had a solar system installed on my rooftop by Bilt-Well a few years
ago. They had damaged my rooftop and causing a large amount of
leaking since then. After I contacted them(numerous times), they
said they'd no longer in solar business and will not do anything to
fix the problem.

It really doesn't matter what their current business is. If it is the
same company that originally installed the system (and they provided you
with a warranty against roof leaks) then ask them in writing to honor
their warranty. If they say no, or you get no response to a certified
demand letter, then contact an attorney.

kiki

Thanks for the feedback. I contacted a lot of solar companies, and no
one is willing to take down the solar panels due to liability issue. I
can find roofers willing to fix the roof. I filed complaints to CSLB.
I don't know how long will that take.

Travis Jordan

kiki wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I contacted a lot of solar companies, and no
one is willing to take down the solar panels due to liability issue.
I can find roofers willing to fix the roof. I filed complaints to
CSLB. I don't know how long will that take.

You can probably find a roofer that will remove the panels before
repairing the roof.

Robert Morien

In article .com,
"kiki" wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I contacted a lot of solar companies, and no
one is willing to take down the solar panels due to liability issue. I
can find roofers willing to fix the roof. I filed complaints to CSLB.
I don't know how long will that take.

Perhaps I've missed one of the posts in this thread, but if you have
homeowners insurance, perhaps they might be interested in pointing you
in the direction of a solution...after all they do have a stake in this.

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:46:44 -0800, someone wrote:

Perhaps I've missed one of the posts in this thread, but if you have
homeowners insurance, perhaps they might be interested in pointing you
in the direction of a solution...after all they do have a stake in this.

Sure about that?

Deterioration from slow leaks and deferred maintenace is not usually
insured against. If a tree fell on the roof and made a hole in it,
yes. Sudden peril yes, developing condition probably not. If you
hire someone to do a job and they screw it up casuing damage, probably
not. ESPECIALLY if subsequent damage resulted from the homeowner
leaving the leak in place for a period of time without fixing it .

"Kiki" needs to have the roof fixed NOW, and then sue someone later.

kiki

I don't believe that my homeowner's insurance will cover this. No one
is willing to take down the solar panels, whether a roofer or a solar
installer. They don't want the liability. Literally no one will touch
my roof at any price.

Travis Jordan

kiki wrote:
I don't believe that my homeowner's insurance will cover this. No one
is willing to take down the solar panels, whether a roofer or a solar
installer. They don't want the liability. Literally no one will
touch my roof at any price.

You need to check with some more roofers. Removing solar panels here
prior to reroofing in Florida is a common requirement. Most roofers
have a relationship with a solar heating company and the two of them
together can do the job for you.

On 27 Feb 2005 19:44:37 -0800, someone wrote:

I don't believe that my homeowner's insurance will cover this. No one
is willing to take down the solar panels, whether a roofer or a solar
installer. They don't want the liability. Literally no one will touch
my roof at any price.

What is the special liability associated with these solar panels?
Liability for WHAT?

Are you asking that whoever takes them down, guarantees that they will
not be damaged and that they will work right when re-installed? Now
THAT might be hard to get a contractor to swallow if the panels are
not theirs and they are only getting a few hundred or a few thousand
and the panels are perceived as 'valuable". Why take the risk of an
irate homeowner claiming thousands in damages, for a few hundred
bucks.

Call a demolition company, say you want the panels removed and hauled
away, maybe that would work. Either that or get a dumpster dropped
off yourself, then go down to wherever day laborers congregate (or
call "Manpower"), and hire some people to do it under YOUR
supervision.