MM

Default Is there a threshold detector/infrared beam alarm?

Now that the summer weather has arrived, I like leaving the patio
doors open, but I also want to work on the computer upstairs. What I'm
looking for is an alarm of some kind that would sound if an intruder
crossed the threshold into the house. It would probably have an
infrared beam or possibly be ultrasonic. It would need to be portable,
e.g. attachment via sucker or clamp, so that it could be removed
easily.

Anything like this in the sheds?

MM
BigWallop

"MM" wrote in message
Now that the summer weather has arrived, I like leaving the patio
doors open, but I also want to work on the computer upstairs. What I'm
looking for is an alarm of some kind that would sound if an intruder
crossed the threshold into the house. It would probably have an
infrared beam or possibly be ultrasonic. It would need to be portable,
e.g. attachment via sucker or clamp, so that it could be removed
easily.

Anything like this in the sheds?

MM

I take it you don't already have an intruder alarm installed then. :-) A
web search for Stand Alone PIR detectors might give you a few good hits to
follow.

ben

MM wrote:
Now that the summer weather has arrived, I like leaving the patio
doors open, but I also want to work on the computer upstairs. What I'm
looking for is an alarm of some kind that would sound if an intruder
crossed the threshold into the house. It would probably have an
infrared beam or possibly be ultrasonic. It would need to be portable,
e.g. attachment via sucker or clamp, so that it could be removed
easily.

Anything like this in the sheds?

MM

Natives not friendly by you then? :-)

I would have thought the farthest away from the doors would be best, giving
you time to intercept(my thats a nice word)the would be intruder.

A webcam and software is all's thats needed, the software has a function
whereby it throws the image up on the PC screen when movement is detected in
the field of view and also giving you a pic of the would be intruder.

The software...
http://www.webcamxp.com/

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
MM writes:
Now that the summer weather has arrived, I like leaving the patio
doors open, but I also want to work on the computer upstairs. What I'm
looking for is an alarm of some kind that would sound if an intruder
crossed the threshold into the house. It would probably have an
infrared beam or possibly be ultrasonic. It would need to be portable,
e.g. attachment via sucker or clamp, so that it could be removed
easily.

Anything like this in the sheds?

You can get stand-alone battery powered PIR alarms which can
be set to chime or to sound a full alarm when triggered.

If you have a house alarm with a PIR sensor in that room,
it might be able to be programmed to have a chime function
which you can enable/disable when required. (I do this with
a Comfort alarm system, in slightly different circumstances.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:01:39 +0100, MM wrote:

Anything like this in the sheds?

Not that I have noticed, Tandy used to have a box that did what youw
ant. Try googling on "break beam alarm"?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Owain

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:01:39 +0100, MM wrote:
Anything like this in the sheds?

Not that I have noticed, Tandy used to have a box that did what youw
ant. Try googling on "break beam alarm"?

If a PIR detector is acceptable, Lidl will have them in from Monday, £3.99

3 - Infrared movement sensor with krypton light bulb (15 hours burn
time). Light and acoustic alarm activated when motion detected. 60°
angle of detection within a range of 6 metres. Requires 4 x UM 2
batteries (not included).
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...vement_Sensors
nightjar

"MM" wrote in message
Now that the summer weather has arrived, I like leaving the patio
doors open, but I also want to work on the computer upstairs. What I'm
looking for is an alarm of some kind that would sound if an intruder
crossed the threshold into the house. It would probably have an
infrared beam or possibly be ultrasonic. It would need to be portable,
e.g. attachment via sucker or clamp, so that it could be removed
easily.

Anything like this in the sheds?

No idea about the sheds, but an electrical wholesaler will probably have
something along those lines as a shop door bell.

Colin Bignell

chris French

In message , MM
writes
Now that the summer weather has arrived, I like leaving the patio
doors open, but I also want to work on the computer upstairs. What I'm
looking for is an alarm of some kind that would sound if an intruder
crossed the threshold into the house. It would probably have an
infrared beam or possibly be ultrasonic. It would need to be portable,
e.g. attachment via sucker or clamp, so that it could be removed
easily.

Anything like this in the sheds?

Not portable, but we have something like that wired in across the drive.
Put in by previous owners.

It has beam of some sort. IR I guess, which bounces of reflector and
back to the sensor. Breaking the beam sounds a buzzer
--
Chris French

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
MM wrote:
Now that the summer weather has arrived, I like leaving the patio
doors open, but I also want to work on the computer upstairs. What I'm
looking for is an alarm of some kind that would sound if an intruder
crossed the threshold into the house. It would probably have an
infrared beam or possibly be ultrasonic. It would need to be portable,
e.g. attachment via sucker or clamp, so that it could be removed
easily.

Anything like this in the sheds?

If you can solder, there's a Vellerman kit from Maplin that looks ideal.
IR Beam break detector. It's classified as 1, so the simplest to build.

Both units (TX&RX) take 9 volts so could be battery or wall wart powered.

LL64 - 9.99

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
MM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:07 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
Now that the summer weather has arrived, I like leaving the patio
doors open, but I also want to work on the computer upstairs. What I'm
looking for is an alarm of some kind that would sound if an intruder
crossed the threshold into the house. It would probably have an
infrared beam or possibly be ultrasonic. It would need to be portable,
e.g. attachment via sucker or clamp, so that it could be removed
easily.

Anything like this in the sheds?

MM

I take it you don't already have an intruder alarm installed then. :-)

Yes, I do. How will that help if family members are moving in and out
of the kitchen (but not into the garden)? They may be gone for 30
minutes, and then the alarm will sound when they come back. However,
in the meantime an *intruder* might cross the threshold. It is he
(maybe a she) I want to be warned about.

web search for Stand Alone PIR detectors might give you a few good hits to
follow.

MM

MM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:11:44 GMT, "ben" wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

I could not be watching the screen constantly. I might want to read.
Plus, if I'm programming I don't want to be continually switching to
another monitor to check. A simple alarm from a loud klaxon or bell,
and then I can go downstairs and start to parley.

MM
MM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:48:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:
Now that the summer weather has arrived, I like leaving the patio
doors open, but I also want to work on the computer upstairs. What I'm
looking for is an alarm of some kind that would sound if an intruder
crossed the threshold into the house. It would probably have an
infrared beam or possibly be ultrasonic. It would need to be portable,
e.g. attachment via sucker or clamp, so that it could be removed
easily.

Anything like this in the sheds?

If you can solder, there's a Vellerman kit from Maplin that looks ideal.
IR Beam break detector. It's classified as 1, so the simplest to build.

Both units (TX&RX) take 9 volts so could be battery or wall wart powered.

LL64 - 9.99

Ah, now that's interesting. I ~can~ solder, but I've only ever done it
with 'proper' solder. Not sure how I'd get on with the lead-free
stuff.

MM
BigWallop

"MM" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:07 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Then have a detector installed on the patio door that only detects the small
area around the said door. You should be able to set the alarm system to
give a chime or internal sounder only on just that detector in part set
zones.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
MM wrote:
If you can solder, there's a Vellerman kit from Maplin that looks
ideal. IR Beam break detector. It's classified as 1, so the simplest to
build.

Both units (TX&RX) take 9 volts so could be battery or wall wart
powered.

LL64 - 9.99

Ah, now that's interesting. I ~can~ solder, but I've only ever done it
with 'proper' solder. Not sure how I'd get on with the lead-free stuff.

As far as I know, the old electronic lead multi-core is still available.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
MM wrote:
If you can solder, there's a Vellerman kit from Maplin that looks
ideal. IR Beam break detector. It's classified as 1, so the simplest to
build.

Both units (TX&RX) take 9 volts so could be battery or wall wart
powered.

LL64 - 9.99

Ah, now that's interesting. I ~can~ solder, but I've only ever done it
with 'proper' solder. Not sure how I'd get on with the lead-free stuff.

As far as I know, the old electronic lead multi-core is still available.

About 5-6 quid from CPC for a 500g reel

--
geoff
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
raden writes:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

As far as I know, the old electronic lead multi-core is still available.

About 5-6 quid from CPC for a 500g reel

So you stocked up too? ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
raden

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
raden writes:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

As far as I know, the old electronic lead multi-core is still available.

About 5-6 quid from CPC for a 500g reel

So you stocked up too? ;-)

Would I do such a thing ?

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:
In article , raden
writes:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

As far as I know, the old electronic lead multi-core is still
available.

About 5-6 quid from CPC for a 500g reel

So you stocked up too? ;-)

Well, I've got enough in stock to see me out. ;-) I bought a dozen reels
off Ebay. I reckon a 500g reel does me about 3 years, given it's only a
hobby.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
MM

MM wrote:
If you can solder, there's a Vellerman kit from Maplin that looks
ideal. IR Beam break detector. It's classified as 1, so the simplest to
build.

Both units (TX&RX) take 9 volts so could be battery or wall wart
powered.

LL64 - 9.99

Ah, now that's interesting. I ~can~ solder, but I've only ever done it
with 'proper' solder. Not sure how I'd get on with the lead-free stuff.

As far as I know, the old electronic lead multi-core is still available.

About 5-6 quid from CPC for a 500g reel

Is that Combined Precision Components?

MM