VisionSet

Default having work done / building regualtions

For the very 1st time I'm going to have some one in to do some work.
Cue lots of disatisfaction, but that aside, how can I be sure they will
comply with Building Regs? Hopefully the answer is not have inspector in,
but if it is how much does that typically cost?

Work is installing a fireplace.
I'm doing the chimney mods.
It'll be traditional fireplace capable of solid fuel but will be gas living
flame.

They came for a survey and said the existing floor boarded floor - I'd years
back extended in to the chimney breast - was okay to leave with the granite
hearth on top. I'm not so sure...

Also am I correct in saying that the pot opening has to be at least 600mm
above ridge, since it is less than 2300mm horizontal from ridge.

Any other words of advice/caution appreciated!

TIA

--
Mike W

BigWallop

"VisionSet" wrote in message

[...]

Go to the www.odpm.gov.uk website and look for "Part J" in the regulations.

Owain

VisionSet wrote:
For the very 1st time I'm going to have some one in to do some work.
Cue lots of disatisfaction, but that aside, how can I be sure they will
comply with Building Regs? Hopefully the answer is not have inspector in,
but if it is how much does that typically cost?

You have it explicitly written into the contract that the work will be
compliant with Building Regs, that the contractor is responsible for all
plans and specifications, for making the application and that the BC
fees are included in the contractor's fixed price.

Owain

andrewpreece

"VisionSet" wrote in message

For the very 1st time I'm going to have some one in to do some work.
Cue lots of disatisfaction, but that aside, how can I be sure they will
comply with Building Regs? Hopefully the answer is not have inspector in,
but if it is how much does that typically cost?

Work is installing a fireplace.
I'm doing the chimney mods.
It'll be traditional fireplace capable of solid fuel but will be gas

living
flame.

They came for a survey and said the existing floor boarded floor - I'd

years
back extended in to the chimney breast - was okay to leave with the

granite
hearth on top. I'm not so sure...

Constructional hearth to comply with latest regs, projecting at least 20"
out from grate
and 6" either side of fire opening. For a log type fire it has to be at
least 5" thick and
not have combustible material directly touching the underside, but I don't
think that
applies for a gas living flame type fire.

The superimposed hearth ( the nice bit that goes on top ofthe constructional
hearth ) to
project at least 12" out from grate, and at least 6" either side of fire
opening, or to the
width of the fire surround if that is greater. Must be at least 2" thick.
Bed on 1:4 cement mortar.

The room that the fire is in must have IIRC an opening to the outside or
other rooms at least 10x10cm for ventilation. I'm guessing a bit on that
one. Anyway it's to ensure that the fire is
not starved of air in a well sealed room. Be careful if you go for a
dedicated vent where it is
positioned, as at least some of the air feeding the fire will come out of
that vent,and if it is cold
and has to drift acrosss the room to get to the fire it will cause a draft.

I also seem to recall that an old unlined chimney is not sufficient for a
gas fire, and you will
need a stainless steel liner, probably 5" across or suchlike : installing
one isn't cheap. I check
this all out if I were you and not take my word for it. Again, also AFAICR
solid fuel does not
require a liner, it is merely a good idea to check the integrity of your
chimney with a smoke pellet.

Also am I correct in saying that the pot opening has to be at least 600mm
above ridge, since it is less than 2300mm horizontal from ridge.

Not sure, but read a book on chimneys saying that they ought to be higher
than the roof ridge
as adverse pressure effects can occur in certain wind conditions causing the
fireplace to
coughsmoke back into the room.

Any other words of advice/caution appreciated!

I don't expect you're feeling any happier after hearing all that :-)

Andy.