MM

Default Olympics should give fillip to housing market

There will be thousands of visitors in 2012. But well before then the
numbers living in the south east will rise dramatically as building
work for the games starts and grows. This can only mean that the
housing market will begin to pick up. Hopefully, this new mood of
optimism will then spread rapidly to other parts of the country,
including my street.

MM
AlexW

MM wrote:
There will be thousands of visitors in 2012. But well before then the
numbers living in the south east will rise dramatically as building
work for the games starts and grows. This can only mean that the
housing market will begin to pick up. Hopefully, this new mood of
optimism will then spread rapidly to other parts of the country,
including my street.

MM

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a good
thing /:-)

Alex.
Doctor Evil

"AlexW" wrote in message
MM wrote:
There will be thousands of visitors in 2012. But well before then the
numbers living in the south east will rise dramatically as building
work for the games starts and grows. This can only mean that the
housing market will begin to pick up. Hopefully, this new mood of
optimism will then spread rapidly to other parts of the country,
including my street.

MM

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a good
thing /:-)

No need for that, if they just allowed people to build on all those
subsidised fields laying idle.

AlexW

Doctor Evil wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

snip

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a good
thing /:-)

No need for that, if they just allowed people to build on all those
subsidised fields laying idle.

But they are going to do that in some areas in any case. And brownfield
as in my own village.
BigWallop

"AlexW" wrote in message
Doctor Evil wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

snip

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a good
thing /:-)

No need for that, if they just allowed people to build on all those
subsidised fields laying idle.

But they are going to do that in some areas in any case. And brownfield
as in my own village.

I suppose it helps for the subsidy then. :-)

Rick

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:43:05 +0100, AlexW
wrote:

MM wrote:
There will be thousands of visitors in 2012. But well before then the
numbers living in the south east will rise dramatically as building
work for the games starts and grows. This can only mean that the
housing market will begin to pick up. Hopefully, this new mood of
optimism will then spread rapidly to other parts of the country,
including my street.

MM

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a good
thing /:-)

Alex.

There is masses of affordable qualty hosung stock in this country, the
problem being its in places nobody wants to live.

Have a look on rightmove, and see how many 3 bed, stone built
terrached houes you can get in for example Burnley, for the price of a
garrage inside Red Kens London Congestion Charing zone.

Rick

Richard Faulkner

In message , MM
writes
There will be thousands of visitors in 2012. But well before then the
numbers living in the south east will rise dramatically as building
work for the games starts and grows. This can only mean that the
housing market will begin to pick up. Hopefully, this new mood of
optimism will then spread rapidly to other parts of the country,
including my street.

MM

Not quite sure why this should happen for something which only lasts for
a few weeks. Builders will drive down in gangs and stay in B & B's, or
live in the van. Or they will come from Eastern Europe and live in the
cheapest poor quality accommodation. When it's all over, they will clear
off with the money.

The major effect will be of making the immediate area more attractive to
live in, thus increasing prices locally, and making it attractive for
the developers - this is all that happened in Manchester with the
Commonwealth Games. Anything else was just the market doing its' stuff.

--
Richard Faulkner
Gel

Not a fan of Olympics so only good angle to me it was 1 in le chops for
Msr Chirac!!

Owain

MM wrote:
There will be thousands of visitors in 2012. But well before then the
numbers living in the south east will rise dramatically as building
work for the games starts and grows. This can only mean that the
housing market will begin to pick up. Hopefully, this new mood of
optimism will then spread rapidly to other parts of the country,
including my street.

Oh yeah, the housing market's so depressed. Supply exceeds demand,
houses are being sold so cheaply even the unemployed can afford one.

Or do you just mean that your own house with a collapsing sewer system
hasn't increased by 20% in three months?

Owain

Doctor Evil

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
In message , MM
writes
[...]

Are you saying Manchester never benefitted? Man City got a brand new superb
stadium out of it too.

Doctor Evil

"AlexW" wrote in message
Doctor Evil wrote:
"AlexW" wrote in message

snip

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a good
thing /:-)

No need for that, if they just allowed people to build on all those
subsidised fields laying idle.

But they are going to do that in some areas in any case.

Not enough.

And brownfield
as in my own village.

Most brownfields in cities should be left and greened over. A perfect
opportunity to get our cities right after the Victorians ruined them and the
post war cheapoes added more negative hell-hole value.

trenchfoot

It did,but I thought the thread was about house prices....or am I
reading it wrong?

Mary Fisher

"Gel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not a fan of Olympics so only good angle to me it was 1 in le chops for
Msr Chirac!!

There are two others, for the Fishers.

a) they're not in Leeds

b) we don't have a telly.

I think that c)is also possible but Spouse won't have it.

c) we probably shan't be alive.

Mary

Set Square

Mary Fisher wrote:

c) we probably shan't be alive.

Mary

Only a few days ago, you were planning to live for ever! g
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Mary Fisher

"Set Square" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

c) we probably shan't be alive.

Mary

Only a few days ago, you were planning to live for ever! g

I know. But this news has made me lose the will to live!

Mary

Mike

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
news.net...

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a good
thing /:-)

No need for that, if they just allowed people to build on all those
subsidised fields laying idle.

In case you hadn't noticed most of those fields are growing things like
wheat, hay or sheep.

Set Square

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

c) we probably shan't be alive.

Mary

Only a few days ago, you were planning to live for ever! g

I know. But this news has made me lose the will to live!

Mary

Me too! The whole country will be taxed to the hilt in order to massage the
egos of a few failed polititions. Why the hell couldn't they give it to
Timbuktu or somewhere - or *anywhere* but London?!

As for saying that the whole country was behind the bid - that's another bit
of New Labour spin - I haven't yet found *one* person who thinks it's a good
idea!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Mike wrote:

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
news.net...

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a
good thing /:-)

No need for that, if they just allowed people to build on all those
subsidised fields laying idle.

In case you hadn't noticed most of those fields are growing things
like wheat, hay or sheep.

Apart from those paid to be "set aside"!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

T i m

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:11:46 +0100, "Set Square"
wrote:

I know. But this news has made me lose the will to live!

Mary

Me too! The whole country will be taxed to the hilt in order to massage the
egos of a few failed polititions. Why the hell couldn't they give it to
Timbuktu or somewhere - or *anywhere* but London?!

;-)

As for saying that the whole country was behind the bid - that's another bit
of New Labour spin - I haven't yet found *one* person who thinks it's a good
idea!

Well, much though it pains me to say but my wife came home tonight
saying that many of her workmates were all excited over the news ..
(mind you the same people get excited over Corination St and Big
Brother) g

When she was asked she thought about it she said what she thought ..
'can't see what all the fuss is about'? Once the dust settled she did
speak to some on a one to one and they admitted they were sorta going
along with the flow ..?

I know *I'm* a heathen .. I'm not into art, poetry, books the balet
etc .. I just do what I do and don't expect (or want) anyone waving
flags or getting all excited over it? I have won it for me? If I win
a race a 'well done' or shake of the hand will suffice .. Maybe I'm
just not an extravert?

All the best ..

T i m

Chip

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:23:31 +0100,it is alleged that "Mary Fisher"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

"Set Square" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

c) we probably shan't be alive.

Mary

Only a few days ago, you were planning to live for ever! g

I know. But this news has made me lose the will to live!

Mary

I don't know, they could introduce extra sporting events to

a) bring it more into the realm of public participation, and

b) bring relevance to this group, such as Synchronized Plastering,
100m cable chasing sprint, timed patio laying g

Interestingly, does anyone know what they're going to do about the
olympic target pistol shooting, seeing as the competitors could be
arrested for trying that here?

--
We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very
average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Evil wrote:
A perfect opportunity to get our cities right after the Victorians
ruined them and the post war cheapoes added more negative hell-hole
value.

But at least it gave you your one bedroom council flat?

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike

"Chip" wrote in message
n.net...

Interestingly, does anyone know what they're going to do about the
olympic target pistol shooting, seeing as the competitors could be
arrested for trying that here?

I believe it was suggested it would be held at an army base under special
permit, with the guns brought in and taken out again by our armed forces.
But no UK competitors of course as they would still be breaking the law
unless they were members of the armed forces or police. Another option was
to hold this bit in the Isle of Man, though the Channel Islands might be a
better choice just to annoy the French even more.

Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Evil wrote:
A perfect opportunity to get our cities right after the Victorians
ruined them and the post war cheapoes added more negative hell-hole
value.

But at least it gave you your one bedroom council flat?

You have sink estates on the mind. All this euphoria over electric caber
tossing in the Olympics.

Doctor Evil

"Set Square" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
news.net...

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a
good thing /:-)

No need for that, if they just allowed people to build on all those
subsidised fields laying idle.

In case you hadn't noticed most of those fields are growing things
like wheat, hay or sheep.

Grow sheep? WE can import food cheaper than growing it. Then land can be
used for something useful, like homes for people.

Apart from those paid to be "set aside"!

Which is a hell of a lot.

raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ws.net,
Doctor Evil wrote:
A perfect opportunity to get our cities right after the Victorians
ruined them and the post war cheapoes added more negative hell-hole
value.

But at least it gave you your one bedroom council flat?

No, that was social services

--
geoff

Richard Faulkner

In message ws.net,
Doctor Evil writes

[...]

Of course I'm not. I'm saying that it wont have the effect that the OP
said it would have, i.e. "the housing market will pick up", other than
in the immediate locality.

Man City got a brand new superb
stadium out of it too.

Agreed!

--
Richard Faulkner
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I know. But this news has made me lose the will to live!

Mary

As for saying that the whole country was behind the bid - that's another
bit
of New Labour spin - I haven't yet found *one* person who thinks it's a
good
idea!

Nor have I - but I know only a very small percentage of the UK population.
From listening to radio it seems that some people are pleased - Seb Coe, Ken
Livingstone, Tessa Jowell, and some sportsfolk.

I know *I'm* a heathen .. I'm not into art, poetry, books the balet
etc ..

I think you mean you're a philistine!

I just do what I do and don't expect (or want) anyone waving
flags or getting all excited over it? I have won it for me? If I win
a race a 'well done' or shake of the hand will suffice .. Maybe I'm
just not an extravert?

Well, I'm considered an extrovert but I never compete in anything either.
I've only done exams when forced to, I don't enter shows, I'm just not
interested. Totally unambitious.

Those who are are welcome to their accolades, I can't understand why we all
have to suffer the hysteria.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Chip" wrote in message
n.net...

I don't know, they could introduce extra sporting events to

a) bring it more into the realm of public participation, and

b) bring relevance to this group, such as Synchronized Plastering,
100m cable chasing sprint, timed patio laying g

That's the best suggestion I've heard yet.

Also, it seems that there's going to be a dire shortage of plumbers,
builders, chippies etc because they'll all be working on the Olympic
Village - so this group should expect an influx of frantic newcomers.

Mary

madmax

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:37:27 +0100, MM wrote:

There will be thousands of visitors in 2012. But well before then the
numbers living in the south east will rise dramatically as building
work for the games starts and grows. This can only mean that the
housing market will begin to pick up. Hopefully, this new mood of
optimism will then spread rapidly to other parts of the country,
including my street.

MM

Or Al Quaida bombs will lower prices so nurses, teachers etc can
afford them.
Mary Fisher

"madmax" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:37:27 +0100, MM wrote:

There will be thousands of visitors in 2012. But well before then the
numbers living in the south east will rise dramatically as building
work for the games starts and grows. This can only mean that the
housing market will begin to pick up. Hopefully, this new mood of
optimism will then spread rapidly to other parts of the country,
including my street.

MM

Or Al Quaida bombs will lower prices so nurses, teachers etc can
afford them.

Something's already begun:-(

Mary

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Or Al Quaida bombs will lower prices so nurses, teachers etc can
afford them.

Something's already begun:-(

But no claims from any organisation?

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
chris French

Mary Fisher wrote:
Or Al Quaida bombs will lower prices so nurses, teachers etc can
afford them.

Something's already begun:-(

But no claims from any organisation?

Which is pretty normal with 'Al Quaida' related attacks it would seem.

--
Chris French

PC Paul

"Mike" wrote in message

"Chip" wrote in message
n.net...

Interestingly, does anyone know what they're going to do about the
olympic target pistol shooting, seeing as the competitors could be
arrested for trying that here?

I believe it was suggested it would be held at an army base under special
permit, with the guns brought in and taken out again by our armed forces.
But no UK competitors of course as they would still be breaking the law
unless they were members of the armed forces or police. Another option
was
to hold this bit in the Isle of Man, though the Channel Islands might be a
better choice just to annoy the French even more.

As someone who used to have 5 target pistols and 5500 rounds of ammo in his
garage, how sad is all this?

And how much has banning target pistols reduced handgun crimes in the UK?

John Rumm

PC Paul wrote:

And how much has banning target pistols reduced handgun crimes in the UK?

Need you ask?

--
Cheers,

John.