T i m

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:42:17 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I'm going to ruin your day, Tim, I agree with you.

faints ;-)

T i m
T i m

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 20:03:57 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

And what is it actually about .. folk running / jumping rowing
whatever faster longer further than anyone else? (I'm not into 'sport'
you can tell

That is obvious. Do you hate the world as well?

Not as much as a 'Dr Evil' might ;-) No, I just don't understand why
people become so fanatical about it all .. so we won a go at hosting
the Olympics (our turn again) .. so what? It's not like we haven't
done it before? And I think the title should put some perspective on
it .. "The Olympic GAMES"? It's a game .. like rugby ... ? I'm just
aware that we are also crap and doing this sort of stuff ... like the
Y2k celebrations .. and how the money (and effort) might be better
used elsewhere (like our infrastructure) or providing REAL sports
facilities around the country (for those that want them)?

.. I do walk, cycle, row and sail for fun though).

So, what's it going to do for me .. well living 5 miles away from
part of the projected developement area just MORE congestion and loss
of public park?

They are building a new park

Building? ... your's may be a different definition of the word 'park'
to the one I'm thinking of .. round here most of the Lea Vally
Regional Park Scheme is what God has done after man dug out all the
gravel?

"We can't build there it's public park / green-belt!"
"It's for the Olympics, we can do what we like ..."

It's on derelict land.

Maybe in the lower sections (bits from Tottenham Hale to Enfield Lock)
but from there up to Hertford it's pretty green (unles by 'derelict'
you mean mashland brimming with wildlife?)

And look at all the excitement
from the kids .. the chance of working
hard for 7 years to compete in .. em ..
London .. (for 2 weeks!) ;-(

Top sporstpeopel don't just compete for 2 weeks.

Fair enough .. but I dare say they will just get on with it anyway ..
with or without the Olympics ?

But some folk put these 'athletes' on a pedestal .. something else I
just don't understand ... and giving someone an OBE just because they
can play football / run / row .. how does that improve the lot of
mankind .. wtf's that all about?

As long as I don't have to pay for it and it doesn't affect me (eg
increased congestion) then I actually care less ..

What would affect me (and many others) would be seeing a skate park /
bowl in EVERY town to give the kids 'something to do' ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Badger

Mary Fisher wrote:

Why on Earth use clays in London? What's wrong with the real thing?

Ask those that banned live trap shooting and the root cause of all those
****e-hawks, the off-spring of those that were missed!
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, what's it going to do for me .. well living 5 miles away from
part of the projected developement area just MORE congestion and loss
of public park?

With luck you'll end up with better underground and overground links.

I occasionally have to work at Three Mills studios which isn't a million
miles from there and would love an easy way of getting there by public
transport. The south circular isn't a nice place to be in rush hour.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
David Lang wrote:
You can lead our Electric Caber Tossing team.

Could someone tell me what on earth this is all about?

If you could suss out dIMM's reasoning, you'd get a Nobel prize.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Maybe if I work hard enough I could make the Olympic team and go clay
shooting in ... erm .. London? ;-(

Why on Earth use clays in London? What's wrong with the real thing?

;-)

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Owain" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Having said that, in some ways I would rather that one of the other
countries had won it, not because of a lack of patriotism but because
it's a distraction and use of resources that could be put to much
better use.

I agree; we'll only just have finished paying off the bill for the G8 by
2012.

All we need now is to win the Eurovision.

On the upside, we've found a use for the Dome!!!

What is it used for?

raden

In message , David
Lang writes
You can lead our Electric Caber Tossing team.

Could someone tell me what on earth this is all about?

He's our resident troll

And we enjoy feeding him

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , David
Lang writes
You can lead our Electric Caber Tossing team.

Could someone tell me what on earth this is all about?

He's our resident troll

And we enjoy feeding him

Maxie, is Morris dancing an Olympic sport?

Owain

Doctor Evil wrote:
On the upside, we've found a use for the Dome!!!

What is it used for?

Gymnastics.

And possibly for displaying all the gold medals in a very hefty glass case.

Owain

Andy Hall

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:23:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, what's it going to do for me .. well living 5 miles away from
part of the projected developement area just MORE congestion and loss
of public park?

With luck you'll end up with better underground and overground links.

Wombling free?

I occasionally have to work at Three Mills studios which isn't a million
miles from there and would love an easy way of getting there by public
transport. The south circular isn't a nice place to be in rush hour.

Does the South Circular actually exist? I've never been able to
follow it for any distance..... It just seems to be a loose
collection of ordinary roads.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

:::Jerry::::

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:23:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, what's it going to do for me .. well living 5 miles away

from
part of the projected developement area just MORE congestion and

loss
of public park?

With luck you'll end up with better underground and overground

links.

Wombling free?

There will be no 'back-handers' with our Olympics....

I occasionally have to work at Three Mills studios which isn't a

million
miles from there and would love an easy way of getting there by

public
transport. The south circular isn't a nice place to be in rush

hour.

Does the South Circular actually exist? I've never been able to
follow it for any distance..... It just seems to be a loose
collection of ordinary roads.

That is exactly what the North and south circular is, hence why it's
really called a route and not a road - it is signed either 'North
Circular' or 'South Circular' though.

T i m

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:23:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, what's it going to do for me .. well living 5 miles away from
part of the projected developement area just MORE congestion and loss
of public park?

With luck you'll end up with better underground and overground links.

Well I suppose we could .. (not that I use them .. I avoid public
transport wherever possible as I can't avoid the cost nor time). Given
the choice I'd rather take the motorcycle, cycle or walk! (possibly a
reaction to 10 years commuting into the City) ;-(

I occasionally have to work at Three Mills studios which isn't a million
miles from there and would love an easy way of getting there by public
transport. The south circular isn't a nice place to be in rush hour.

Nice place .. but right at the lower end of the Lea.

If we cycle along the towpath from here we can go North or South. We
have gone South only a couple of times because (as mentioned
elsewhere) it's a bit industrial (there are some good bits though).
One good reason for going South would be to cycle to London Zoo etc.
Going North is pretty well green and clean[1] as far as you (or your
family more like) would want to cycle in a day (40 mile round trip)
;-)

All the best ..

T i m

[1] 'Clean' except for the rubbish left by (some) 'fishermen' .. ;-(

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I occasionally have to work at Three Mills studios which isn't a million
miles from there and would love an easy way of getting there by public
transport. The south circular isn't a nice place to be in rush hour.

Does the South Circular actually exist? I've never been able to
follow it for any distance..... It just seems to be a loose
collection of ordinary roads.

Know what you mean, but surely it's well enough sign posted?

It sort of turns into a 'proper' road just east of Catford.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Mary Fisher
wrote:

Why on Earth use clays in London? What's wrong with the real thing?

Because not all of us have your fetish for killing things.

Mary Fisher

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Mary Fisher
wrote:

Why on Earth use clays in London? What's wrong with the real thing?

Because not all of us have your fetish for killing things.

You don't eat meat in the south?

For those of us who do it seems daft to shoot something you can't eat. We
can't understand why good food is wasted

Mary

wrote:

You don't eat meat in the south?

*I* certainly don't eat the corpses of dead animals, nor would I condone the
wilful murder of any creature for any reason other than survival. In 2005 in
most of the developed world, there is NO GOOD REASON to continue such
barbarism. There are so many alternatives.

Now stranded on a desert island, I would be changing my view, but not where
there is ANY alternative. People are still eating dead animals because the
process is sanitised. Kids are not shown the horrors of what happens to
animals at the hands of "food producers" and the "housewife" buys prepacked
items that have no resemblance to the real creature that has been so abused.
Very few consumers associate the food on their plates with the poor creature
that was slain to provide it, otherwise many would refuse it.

For those of us who do it seems daft to shoot something you can't eat. We
can't understand why good food is wasted

It seems daft to me to kill any creature, for any reason. Why can't we live
in harmony with nature instead of abusing it?

BTW, No, I don't wear leather etc.

Mary Fisher

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..

Now stranded on a desert island, I would be changing my view, but not
where
there is ANY alternative. People are still eating dead animals because the
process is sanitised. Kids are not shown the horrors of what happens to
animals at the hands of "food producers" and the "housewife" buys
prepacked
items that have no resemblance to the real creature that has been so
abused.

Not this housewife.

I've killed poultry, for food. I've been present in slaughterhouses when my
daughter's cattle and sheep have been killed - to ensure that the highest
welfare procedures are complied with. We butcher our own meat, preferring to
begin with the carcase in its coat - whether it's bird or mammal. That's
always possible with game- much of which is culled to protectother crops
(some eaten by vegans).

That way I'm in control and no strangers are dealing with my food.

In the same way we grow our own vegetables and fruit as far as possible - or
only buy from growers we know and trust. We have our own bantams for eggs
and we eat our own honey. We don't eat chicken.

I really don't think you should pick out children and housewives as being
ignorant of where their food originates. Many men don't even know how it
gets to their plate, never mind how it gets into the house.

Very few consumers associate the food on their plates with the poor
creature
that was slain to provide it, otherwise many would refuse it.

I do agree that people should be made more aware of the origin of their
food. We want to eat meat from animals which have been well cared for and
lived natural lives (far more natural than humans) and have been killed
humanely. Unless we eat meat there won't be any animals to live those
natural lives.For that reason we only eat rare breed animals which have also
been reared organically - for the sake of the environment.

I also believe that vegans should be made aware of the origins of their
food, it's not always politically acceptable to me.

We also live the rest of our lives caring for the environment as far as
possible.

For those of us who do it seems daft to shoot something you can't eat. We
can't understand why good food is wasted

It seems daft to me to kill any creature, for any reason. Why can't we
live
in harmony with nature instead of abusing it?

Nature would be severely diminished if farm animals weren't reared for food
and clothing.

BTW, No, I don't wear leather etc.

We do - for the reason above. Why should animals be denied a life?

Mary

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
I really don't think you should pick out children and housewives as
being ignorant of where their food originates. Many men don't even know
how it gets to their plate, never mind how it gets into the house.

;-)

Bit like the clean shirt fairy?

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
I really don't think you should pick out children and housewives as
being ignorant of where their food originates. Many men don't even know
how it gets to their plate, never mind how it gets into the house.

;-)

Bit like the clean shirt fairy?

Exactly like that!

:-)

Mary

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote:
For those of us who do it seems daft to shoot something you can't eat. We
can't understand why good food is wasted

It seems daft to me to kill any creature, for any reason. Why can't we live
in harmony with nature instead of abusing it?

.... and the plants you presumably eat aren't 'nature'?

--
Chris Green

Doctor Evil

"Owain" wrote in message
Doctor Evil wrote:
On the upside, we've found a use for the Dome!!!

What is it used for?

Gymnastics.

And possibly for displaying all the gold medals in a very hefty glass

case.

I'll have to go there. Is there a gold medal for electric caber tossing?
Morris dancing?

raden

In message , T i m
writes
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:23:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
So, what's it going to do for me .. well living 5 miles away from
part of the projected developement area just MORE congestion and loss
of public park?

With luck you'll end up with better underground and overground links.

Well I suppose we could .. (not that I use them .. I avoid public
transport wherever possible

Sensible decision today

--
geoff
OldBill

David Lang wrote:
You can lead our Electric Caber Tossing team.

Could someone tell me what on earth this is all about?

Dave

They have taken over this newsgroup and turned it into their own mutual
abuse channel.
No wonder controlled web forums are growing in popularity.

Badger

Mary Fisher wrote:
You don't eat meat in the south?

For those of us who do it seems daft to shoot something you can't eat. We
can't understand why good food is wasted

Mary

PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, not People Eating
Tasty Animals) might prefer we didn't, but as a Soft Southerner I'm
quite happy to eat MOST things and kill them too as required.

One convent I shot for always accepted the pigeons and rabbits I killed
on their grounds, usually inside their fruit cages and the like.

John Rumm

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

In 2005 in
most of the developed world, there is NO GOOD REASON to continue such
barbarism.

Of course there is.... they are delicious! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

I've killed poultry, for food. I've been present in slaughterhouses when my
daughter's cattle and sheep have been killed - to ensure that the highest
welfare procedures are complied with. We butcher our own meat, preferring to
begin with the carcase in its coat - whether it's bird or mammal. That's
always possible with game- much of which is culled to protectother crops
(some eaten by vegans).

That way I'm in control and no strangers are dealing with my food.

I went for a tour round an abattoir as a school field trip once. Must
admit I found it quite reassuring really - the animals were all well
treated and not maltreated or abused in any way prior to being killed.

I really don't think you should pick out children and housewives as being
ignorant of where their food originates. Many men don't even know how it
gets to their plate, never mind how it gets into the house.

;-)

lots of sensible food attitude snipped

Well said that woman! ;-)

BTW, No, I don't wear leather etc.

We do - for the reason above. Why should animals be denied a life?

More to the point, why should the rest of us have to put up with the
smell of folks sweaty feet because they insist on wearing plastic shoes
even though porkies coat is going begging since he has no further use
for it (as a result of being in my bacon sarnie) ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

With luck you'll end up with better underground and overground links.

Wombling free?

LOL! ;-)

They would make interesting "ball wombles" at the all england club as well!

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
With luck you'll end up with better underground and overground links.

Well I suppose we could .. (not that I use them .. I avoid public
transport wherever possible as I can't avoid the cost nor time). Given
the choice I'd rather take the motorcycle, cycle or walk! (possibly a
reaction to 10 years commuting into the City) ;-(

Ok - but better public transport removes traffic from the roads, so
everyone wins.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
T i m

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:15:33 +0100, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:

In article , Mary Fisher
wrote:

You don't eat meat in the south?

*I* certainly don't eat the corpses of dead animals, nor would I condone the
wilful murder of any creature for any reason other than survival. In 2005 in
most of the developed world, there is NO GOOD REASON to continue such
barbarism.

But, aren't we are omnivores, mammals and part of the food chain? If
*we* stop breeding / killing animals for food will that stop nature
doing the same .. aren't we just part of that 'nature.?

Don't get me wrong, I 'generally' protect animals (even usher wasps
out of the window g) and am very upset by the treatment some animals
'enjoy' in the hands of some folk / cultures / countries.

However, I'm no veggie fan and am confused by things like why veggies
need something the shape / taste of say a sausage but made out of
fungus? Why can't it just be a bowl of green gloop?

In an ideal world though, I'm with you in principal (I'm still waiting
for tablet-space-food as don't rate food as a hobby in any case).

All the best ..

T i m

T i m

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:29:39 GMT, raden wrote:

Well I suppose we could .. (not that I use them .. I avoid public
transport wherever possible

Sensible decision today

Possibly .. still, even though they are cowardly b******s we ("Great
Britian") don't have a completely clean history do we ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

However, I'm no veggie fan and am confused by things like why veggies
need something the shape / taste of say a sausage but made out of
fungus?

I've never understood that either.

Why can't it just be a bowl of green gloop?

Because fungi aren't green. Well, I've never had any which were. White,
grey, brown, black, yellow, blue but never green. No chlorophyll, you see,
that's one of the characeristics of fungi.

In an ideal world though, I'm with you in principal (I'm still waiting
for tablet-space-food as don't rate food as a hobby in any case).

Oh, you really ARE a philistine! What dreadful experiences have you had
which could make you say that?

Food- good food - is one of my passions!

Mary

All the best ..

T i m

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , T i m
wrote:

But, aren't we are omnivores, mammals and part of the food chain?

Man was originally a vegetarian apparently, only changing to an omnivore
when it was found to be a more efficient way of survival. That was perfectly
OK in the past of course. Now we are in the 21st century, isn't it just a
little bit primitive to cage, drug and murder countless millions of animals?
There are so many alternatives, it just requires a little imagination and
some moral fibre.

*we* stop breeding / killing animals for food will that stop nature
doing the same .. aren't we just part of that 'nature.?

I thought that the boast of mankind is that they are more intelligent than
any other creature in the world? Cue the HHGTTG dolphins. :-)

Don't get me wrong, I 'generally' protect animals (even usher wasps
out of the window g) and am very upset by the treatment some animals
'enjoy' in the hands of some folk / cultures / countries.

It truly sickens me. Animal behaviour can be excused, but humans are
supposed to know better. Sadly there are a few that consider that animals
are there purely for them to abuse in any way they see fit.

However, I'm no veggie fan and am confused by things like why veggies
need something the shape / taste of say a sausage but made out of
fungus? Why can't it just be a bowl of green gloop?

I'm fully in agreement with you. I turned away from meat when I was a
teenager. For some reason, my mother also felt that if I wasn't going to eat
it, I should be eating something that *looked* like it. Seems to me to be
almost as morally offensive as eating the real thing. There were all sorts
of nasty things in those days. Soya mince which was like chewing rubber
particles was just one.

In an ideal world though, I'm with you in principal (I'm still waiting
for tablet-space-food as don't rate food as a hobby in any case).

There are times that it is good to enjoy food, such as on holiday, but most
of the time, I suppose it is just eating to live.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

But, aren't we are omnivores, mammals and part of the food chain?

Man was originally a vegetarian apparently,

Depends what you call Man,

only changing to an omnivore
when it was found to be a more efficient way of survival. That was
perfectly
OK in the past of course. Now we are in the 21st century, isn't it just a
little bit primitive to cage, drug and murder countless millions of
animals?

Not primitive, primitive Man was hunter.

I can never understand what the century has to do with any argument ... Why
was something OK in the past and not now? If it's not good enough for us it
shouldn't have been good enough for them. And vice versa.

There are so many alternatives, it just requires a little imagination and
some moral fibre.

I've never heard of moral fibre being recommended - does it make you go,
like All-Bran?

*we* stop breeding / killing animals for food will that stop nature
doing the same .. aren't we just part of that 'nature.?

I thought that the boast of mankind is that they are more intelligent than
any other creature in the world? Cue the HHGTTG dolphins. :-)

You might boast that, I don't. HHGTTG was fiction.

Don't get me wrong, I 'generally' protect animals (even usher wasps
out of the window g) and am very upset by the treatment some animals
'enjoy' in the hands of some folk / cultures / countries.

It truly sickens me. Animal behaviour can be excused, but humans are
supposed to know better.

Who says? And why can animal behaviour be excused?

Sadly there are a few that consider that animals
are there purely for them to abuse in any way they see fit.

There are a few who consider that humans are there for the same reason.

However, I'm no veggie fan and am confused by things like why veggies
need something the shape / taste of say a sausage but made out of
fungus? Why can't it just be a bowl of green gloop?

I'm fully in agreement with you. I turned away from meat when I was a
teenager. For some reason, my mother also felt that if I wasn't going to
eat
it, I should be eating something that *looked* like it. Seems to me to be
almost as morally offensive as eating the real thing. There were all
sorts
of nasty things in those days. Soya mince which was like chewing rubber
particles was just one.

TVP - awful stuff. Our children used to throw it out of the window. But not
on moral grounds.

In an ideal world though, I'm with you in principal (I'm still waiting
for tablet-space-food as don't rate food as a hobby in any case).

There are times that it is good to enjoy food, such as on holiday, but
most
of the time, I suppose it is just eating to live.

Not for everyone, some of us have higher aspirations.

Of course, if you have a boring, man-made diet which comes in packets and
tins from supermarket shelves you're probably right. Those of us who eat
real food enjoy living more.

Mary

T i m

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:00:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
With luck you'll end up with better underground and overground links.

Well I suppose we could .. (not that I use them .. I avoid public
transport wherever possible as I can't avoid the cost nor time). Given
the choice I'd rather take the motorcycle, cycle or walk! (possibly a
reaction to 10 years commuting into the City) ;-(

Ok - but better public transport removes traffic from the roads, so
everyone wins.

Well, *some* traffic of course but I can't see us getting such in my
lifetime?

For every new housing estate they build there is more congestion. What
they don't seem to do is put the services / transport in FIRST and
once the buildings are up they are reluctant to knock them down to put
train lines in?

It is my belief that in other countries if they want to build a train
lkine from A to B they draw a straight line and build it, knocking
down whatever is in the way (within reason). Over here we twist and
turn around a cottage here and farmyard there, forcing the line to be
'poor' for time eternal?

I must admit I'm not a train 'fan' (never have been), always had my
own transport from 17 and would rather 'endure' driving from say here
(London) to my girlfriend in Crewe by Morry Minor van than all the
cost / aggro of going by train (and we had some transport once we got
there).

For me the only time public transport makes sense is if we (the
family) are on one of our motorcycle / camping / touring holidays and
we wan't to out as tourists for the day then we might get the bus /
train / taxi.

1) Because they are on time
2) Because they are clean
3) Because they are empty
4) It means we don't have to wear leathers ;-)

I would rather go into the City by motorbike in spite of the gear /
traffic / stress / parking because I could start and leave on time
(when I wanted) and could at least sit down for the entire journey ;-)

The only way I see for an improvement on our local line is to

Run more trains (not easy I'm told).

Make the trains longer (some platforms too short)

Get people to work / time shift (spead the load through the day)

Get people to consider working locally?

"Ah but we get a better quality of life and can buy a bigger house if
we live in the sticks" .. yes, if you count 4 hours commuting a day
and the cost of that to you / your family/ the environment 'better' ?

I'd rather work locally for 20k than in the 'City' for 30 ..

All the best ..

T i m

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I 'generally' protect animals (even usher wasps
out of the window g) and am very upset by the treatment some animals
'enjoy' in the hands of some folk / cultures / countries.

It truly sickens me. Animal behaviour can be excused, but humans are
supposed to know better.

Why? We're animals just like the rest of the animals out there.

--
Chris Green

T i m

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:08:46 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

However, I'm no veggie fan and am confused by things like why veggies
need something the shape / taste of say a sausage but made out of
fungus?

I've never understood that either.

Why can't it just be a bowl of green gloop?

Because fungi aren't green. Well, I've never had any which were. White,
grey, brown, black, yellow, blue but never green. No chlorophyll, you see,
that's one of the characeristics of fungi.

Tsk, trust me not to know that .. but then you can't fix a PC can you
Mary (interesting though) ;-)

In an ideal world though, I'm with you in principal (I'm still waiting
for tablet-space-food as don't rate food as a hobby in any case).

Oh, you really ARE a philistine! What dreadful experiences have you had
which could make you say that?

Brussels?

Food- good food - is one of my passions!

We have have been all though this on alt.food.snobs .. and I think we
came to the conclusion that most basic 'food' is bland and they way
the food fans 'fix' that fact is to smother everything with garlic and
herbs?

I 'enjoy' a curry because (to me) it has a nice and noticable taste
(flavour?. Spuds taste of nothing / dirt (and I'm not talking about
muddy raw ones now g) as do most vegeatables (remember, 'to me').

I'm currently growing some runner beans (given to me by a gardener
friend, supposedly 'good ones') and some toms. I 'like' runner beans
(in so far as I don't 'like' any veg .. like I never 'fancy' them) so
we will see if they taste any different to me than the 'factory' ones
(without garlic). ;-) Toms I can also live without (but maybe live
longer with?)

Favourite meal .. 'her' breakfasts .. fried (free range) egg on 1
slice of toast, baked beans on one slice of toast, crispy bacon, fried
mushrooms, brown sauce and a mug of tea slobber .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

T i m

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:44:22 +0100, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:

In article , T i m
wrote:

But, aren't we are omnivores, mammals and part of the food chain?

Man was originally a vegetarian apparently, only changing to an omnivore
when it was found to be a more efficient way of survival. That was perfectly
OK in the past of course. Now we are in the 21st century, isn't it just a
little bit primitive to cage, drug and murder countless millions of animals?

Yes, lets just breed, allow to live free then kill / eat?

There are so many alternatives, it just requires a little imagination and
some moral fibre.

Because I'm not interested in food (though you wouldn't think so from
looking at me .. 6'2" / 16 stone etc) it's always a compromise between
finding something I can be bother to eat that might actually be good
for me and me eating stuff because I feel weak (hungry) that is junk.

*we* stop breeding / killing animals for food will that stop nature
doing the same .. aren't we just part of that 'nature.?

I thought that the boast of mankind is that they are more intelligent than
any other creature in the world? Cue the HHGTTG dolphins. :-)

Possibly, but intelligence isn't the whole picture is it? Assuming we
eat meat for a reason (I mean we can't live on grass, we aren't built
for it) what else could this number of folk easily eat to survive? I
for example would even less enjoy eating than I do if you took away
meat? I have tried 'veggi' stuff (always give stuff a try) but it's
often not nice enough (for my tastes) to continue with. I'm also aware
of some folk who went 'veggie' then when back to an omnivore diet
because veggi made them ill?

Don't get me wrong, I 'generally' protect animals (even usher wasps
out of the window g) and am very upset by the treatment some animals
'enjoy' in the hands of some folk / cultures / countries.

It truly sickens me. Animal behaviour can be excused, but humans are
supposed to know better. Sadly there are a few that consider that animals
are there purely for them to abuse in any way they see fit.

Yep, and as Mary says later .. and not just with animals.

However, I'm no veggie fan and am confused by things like why veggies
need something the shape / taste of say a sausage but made out of
fungus? Why can't it just be a bowl of green gloop?

I'm fully in agreement with you. I turned away from meat when I was a
teenager. For some reason, my mother also felt that if I wasn't going to eat
it, I should be eating something that *looked* like it. Seems to me to be
almost as morally offensive as eating the real thing. There were all sorts
of nasty things in those days. Soya mince which was like chewing rubber
particles was just one.

;-) And it (from memory) is so expensive?

In an ideal world though, I'm with you in principal (I'm still waiting
for tablet-space-food as don't rate food as a hobby in any case).

There are times that it is good to enjoy food, such as on holiday, but most
of the time, I suppose it is just eating to live.

I suppose that is a function of what you do in your life. I'm normally
busy doing 'something' and for most of the time (and this goes back to
when I was a kid) have to 'stop what I'm doing' to eat? Had it not
been prepaired for me I wouldn't have eaten at that time .. or would
have preferred something where I could eat and work at the same time
... like a pasty ;-)

All the best ..

T i m