Bob

Default fence posts and metposts

I am about to erect a replacement wooden fence (as soon as it arives, in a
week or so). It's going onto an existing concrete base (driveway) so I
think I'll be using bolt-down metposts or similar. The curved-top fence
panels are 3 feet high at the ends and 4 feet high in the centre and the
total run is 18 feet, 3 panels. I know I should use rawlbolts or similar
but what size? The metpost leaflet just says M8X10mm, no indication of the
length of the bolt. Also, although I am a bit "iffy" about using Screwfix
at the moment (series of upcocks on their part) would their "sheild anchors"
do the job, they seem a lot cheaper than rawlbolts.

Grateful for any advice

Bob

David Lang

Hi Bob
Also, although I am a bit "iffy" about using Screwfix
at the moment (series of upcocks on their part) would their "sheild
anchors"
do the job, they seem a lot cheaper than rawlbolts.

They seem to be the same thing to me. Rawlbolts is just a trade name I
think.

With 4 per post I can't see they would need to be that long, 90mm seems fine
to me.

Dave

riccip

"Bob" wrote:

I am about to erect a replacement wooden fence (as soon as it arives, in a
week or so). It's going onto an existing concrete base (driveway) so I
think I'll be using bolt-down metposts or similar. The curved-top fence
panels are 3 feet high at the ends and 4 feet high in the centre and the
total run is 18 feet, 3 panels. I know I should use rawlbolts or similar
but what size? The metpost leaflet just says M8X10mm, no indication of the
length of the bolt. Also, although I am a bit "iffy" about using Screwfix
at the moment (series of upcocks on their part) would their "sheild anchors"
do the job, they seem a lot cheaper than rawlbolts.

Shield Anchor Bolts would be fine. A 3ft fence doesn't take too
much securing so around 3ins (65-75mm) length will suffice.
You'll need a decent hammer drill if you're drilling into
concrete.

riccip
David Lang

riccip wrote;

You'll need a decent hammer drill if you're drilling into
concrete.

Hammer won't cut the mustard in concrete - it's a great excuse to buy an SDS
though!

Dave

Chris Bacon

David Lang wrote:
riccip wrote;
You'll need a decent hammer drill if you're drilling into
concrete.

Hammer won't cut the mustard in concrete - it's a great excuse
to buy an SDS though!

An SDS drill *is* a hammer drill.

riccip

"David Lang" wrote:

Hammer won't cut the mustard in concrete - it's a great excuse to buy an SDS
though!

Dave

EEhh lad, you young 'uns. Spoilt rotten t'be sure. :-)

A decent hammer drill will manage concrete okay, so long as you
resist the temptation to buy Chinese masonry bits. How do you
reckon we managed in the dark ages before SDS?

riccip
riccip

Chris Bacon wrote:

David Lang wrote:
riccip wrote;
You'll need a decent hammer drill if you're drilling into
concrete.

Hammer won't cut the mustard in concrete - it's a great excuse
to buy an SDS though!

An SDS drill *is* a hammer drill.

But with a much bigger "whack".

riccip
Bob

"riccip" wrote in message
: "David Lang" wrote:
::
: A decent hammer drill will manage concrete okay, so long as you
: resist the temptation to buy Chinese masonry bits.....
...are they the ones that go "ching!" the first time you use them....?

David Lang

riccip wrote;

A decent hammer drill will manage concrete okay, so long as you
resist the temptation to buy Chinese masonry bits. How do you
reckon we managed in the dark ages before SDS?

Very slowly.................

Dave

David Lang

Chris Bacon wrote;

An SDS drill *is* a hammer drill.

Picky, picky!

Dave

Bob wrote:
I am about to erect a replacement wooden fence (as soon as it arives, in a
week or so). It's going onto an existing concrete base (driveway) so I
think I'll be using bolt-down metposts or similar. The curved-top fence
panels are 3 feet high at the ends and 4 feet high in the centre and the
total run is 18 feet, 3 panels. I know I should use rawlbolts or similar
but what size? The metpost leaflet just says M8X10mm, no indication of the
length of the bolt.

Er, doesn't the x10mm bit indicate the length of the bolt? M8 means
8mm diameter, x10mm means 10mm long.

--
Chris Green

Housemartin

Try using the new screw in bolts not sure what screw fix calls them but
they work really well and are very reliable.

riccip

"David Lang" wrote:

How do you
reckon we managed in the dark ages before SDS?

Very slowly.................

LOL! Yeah, that's true but the holes are more even. I've used SDS
drills but found they tend to bulldoze through rather than drill
accurately. Especially in brickwork. I prefer a big old "pro"
hammer drill bought for 6 quid at a car boot sale, came with a
box of proper masonry bits. Used it to damp-proof my last house
(injection method) and it refused to burn out.

riccip
Bob

:
: Er, doesn't the x10mm bit indicate the length of the bolt? M8 means
: 8mm diameter, x10mm means 10mm long.
: : Chris Green
:
if that's the case, and at first I thought it was, that would mean rawlbolts
10mm long, which seems a bit short...

David Lang

Housemartin wrote

Try using the new screw in bolts not sure what screw fix calls them but
they work really well and are very reliable.

Would they be the Multi Monti http://tinyurl.com/all9f ? I've often
wondered about them.

BTW it claims they are great in cracked and uncracked concrete - what on
earth is that? Is it just as it seems - concrete that has cracked?

Dave

Bob

"Housemartin" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Try using the new screw in bolts not sure what screw fix calls them but
: they work really well and are very reliable.

They look interesting, especially as the fence is quite close to the edge of
the concrete.

Bob
: