Andrew Gabriel

Default Screwfix, Luton

Screwfix in Luton opened yesterday (Friday).
It's just a trade counter so you can't browse around, unfortunately.
Open until 8pm weekdays and 6pm weekends.
There's 10% off for callers through to Sunday 26th.

It's in Bilton Way industrial estate off Dallow Road, which is not far from
the Luton B&Q which was demolished earlier this year, and Watford Electronics.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Doctor Evil

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
Screwfix in Luton opened yesterday (Friday).
It's just a trade counter so you can't browse around, unfortunately.
Open until 8pm weekdays and 6pm weekends.
There's 10% off for callers through to Sunday 26th.

It's in Bilton Way industrial estate off Dallow Road, which is not far

from
the Luton B&Q which was demolished earlier this year, and Watford

Electronics.

Is it like Argos, were you give a number and they give you a box?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Doctor Evil" writes:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
. ..
Screwfix in Luton opened yesterday (Friday).
It's just a trade counter so you can't browse around, unfortunately.
Open until 8pm weekdays and 6pm weekends.
There's 10% off for callers through to Sunday 26th.

It's in Bilton Way industrial estate off Dallow Road, which is not far from
the Luton B&Q which was demolished earlier this year, and Watford
Electronics.

Is it like Argos, were you give a number and they give you a box?

Yes. Actually you get a bacon sandwitch and a T-shirt too for
the first 3 days if you spend enough. I didn't bother collecting
my bacon sandwitch though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

RedOnRed

Yes. Actually you get a bacon sandwitch and a T-shirt too for
the first 3 days if you spend enough. I didn't bother collecting
my bacon sandwitch though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

It all sounds good.

I'll just have to work out if it's worth driving the 20 miles each way to
save on carriage with fuel currently at 90.09p a litre round this way.

Good if I need something in an emergency though.

Rick

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:40:00 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

I'll just have to work out if it's worth driving the 20 miles each way to
save on carriage with fuel currently at 90.09p a litre round this way.

Buy yourself a tractor, and use red diesel ........

Rick

RedOnRed

"Rick" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:40:00 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

I'll just have to work out if it's worth driving the 20 miles each way to
save on carriage with fuel currently at 90.09p a litre round this way.

Buy yourself a tractor, and use red diesel ........

Rick

Now there's an idea! But how much is a tractor I wonder?

Isn't there a big illegal trade in red diesel? Apparently they filter it
through cat litter to remove the red dye.

Mark

Rick wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:40:00 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

I'll just have to work out if it's worth driving the 20 miles each way to
save on carriage with fuel currently at 90.09p a litre round this way.

Buy yourself a tractor, and use red diesel ........

20 miles, that's still illegal so you might just as well put it in a car and
get nicked.
When we were young almost (twice) reduced to bankruptcy and not really able
to make the mortgage payments most months
our only transport was a tractor, wife used to take the kids to school on
it.

Doctor Evil

"Henry" wrote in message ...

In the US the taxman does not penalise
cars run on used cooking oil, as it
is a clean burning fuel.

Yep it's always struck me as rather stupid
that the government subsidise LPG
(albeit now at a sliding rate) and yet will
not do the same for recycled
cooking fat which is effectively a carbon
neutral fuel.

Mind you, look at the rest of our wonderful
government's energy policy.

Not perfect, but not that bad either. I would hate to see what it would be
like with the other clowns in charge.

For example they will subsidise hugely
expensive and inneficient

Inefficient? The energy is free - the wind. There is a move to build
off-shore wind farms, many have been commissioned. The UK is European
windiest country, so utilising the wind is lots of common sense. I would
rather see a wind farm on fields with cows under them than a nuclear power
plant.

windfarms that **** off local residents

The country is full of NIMBY's. Country people are perpetual whingers
anyway.

yet are unwilling to invest the money in bringing
the country's housing stock up to the highest
standards of energy efficiency.

The government was last week slagged for demolishing Victorian terraces. I
couldn't believe what I was seeing on TV. It is cheaper in 90% of cases to
build from scratch new homes than renovate old insulationless solid brick
walled old crap. Few renovated homes can match a new house in insulation
standards and low energy consumption.

Also the building regs are being hyped up in the next few years to make the
UK the most insulated country on earth, when you take into account the
temperate climate we have.

Still insulation hidden away in
peoples lofts and wall cavities
isn't quite as prominent as 150
foot tall turbines to the gullible masses
who believe we a saving the planet
with such silly things.

You have a point and more should be done to insulate older homes. But
resistance to this is high. Just look at the how people here dismiss high
levels of insulation. The point is we have far too many old house. Most of
these are just old nothing else. Not nice, not good, just old and small and
use energy like crazy. These should go.

Who bets that that we won't have
new nuclear stations planned by 2020?

There is talk of them coming back. There is no need for it, if higher
insulation levels are pushed, better air-tight homes, higher efficient
appliances, better town planning so people can walk to the shops, which
means rolling back supermarkets (yippee), distributed power generation using
MicroCHP Stirling motor generators (being implemented in Manchester right
now), more off-shore wind farms. By the way about 3% of the UK has Combined
Heat and Power, and increasing. Leicester has a strategic plan to make all
the city CHP. District CHP should be mandatory.

There is a hell of a lot more the government can do, but they have also
done, and are doing, quite a bit too. If the other clowns were in we would
be doing a Bush and ignoring Kyoto - those clowns would lick the boots of
the oil companies.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andy Hall

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:37:19 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Henry" wrote in message ...

In the US the taxman does not penalise
cars run on used cooking oil, as it
is a clean burning fuel.

Yep it's always struck me as rather stupid
that the government subsidise LPG
(albeit now at a sliding rate) and yet will
not do the same for recycled
cooking fat which is effectively a carbon
neutral fuel.

Mind you, look at the rest of our wonderful
government's energy policy.

Not perfect, but not that bad either.

Relatively little involvement. That's good at least.

For example they will subsidise hugely
expensive and inneficient

Inefficient? The energy is free - the wind.

Not exactly when the total picture is considered. Backup generation
such as gas powered generation has to be provisioned for when there is
insufficient wind generation.

There is a move to build
off-shore wind farms, many have been commissioned. The UK is European
windiest country, so utilising the wind is lots of common sense. I would
rather see a wind farm on fields with cows under them than a nuclear power
plant.

I'd rather see balanced use of different forms of energy including
nuclear.

windfarms that **** off local residents

The country is full of NIMBY's. Country people are perpetual whingers
anyway.

NIMBY's what? Is there something that he owns?

yet are unwilling to invest the money in bringing
the country's housing stock up to the highest
standards of energy efficiency.

The government was last week slagged for demolishing Victorian terraces.

Quite right too.

couldn't believe what I was seeing on TV.

That is surprising. You normally believe everything.

It is cheaper in 90% of cases to
build from scratch new homes than renovate old insulationless solid brick
walled old crap. Few renovated homes can match a new house in insulation
standards and low energy consumption.

Perhaps people prefer to have a choice and don't like government
interference in their selection of a place to live.

Also the building regs are being hyped up in the next few years to make the
UK the most insulated country on earth, when you take into account the
temperate climate we have.

Still insulation hidden away in
peoples lofts and wall cavities
isn't quite as prominent as 150
foot tall turbines to the gullible masses
who believe we a saving the planet
with such silly things.

You have a point and more should be done to insulate older homes. But
resistance to this is high. Just look at the how people here dismiss high
levels of insulation.

Nobody does that. Only high levels of *inappropriate* insulation

The point is we have far too many old house. Most of
these are just old nothing else. Not nice, not good, just old and small and
use energy like crazy. These should go.

Has anybody asked the owners which they would prefer?

Who bets that that we won't have
new nuclear stations planned by 2020?

There is talk of them coming back.

Good thing too.

There is no need for it, if higher
insulation levels are pushed,

In appropriate situations and applications

better air-tight homes,

will people be provided with personal oxygen supplies?

higher efficient
appliances,

good idea

better town planning so people can walk to the shops, which
means rolling back supermarkets (yippee),

good idea, especially those that are going broke anyway

distributed power generation using
MicroCHP Stirling motor generators (being implemented in Manchester right
now), more off-shore wind farms. By the way about 3% of the UK has Combined
Heat and Power, and increasing. Leicester has a strategic plan to make all
the city CHP. District CHP should be mandatory.

Communist nonsense. Take a look at East Berlin prior to 1989 (the
system there never worked), or at Moscow today where pipes nearly 2m
high snake around the streets at ground level.

There is a hell of a lot more the government can do, but they have also
done, and are doing, quite a bit too.

Most of it is window dressing, and they are particularly good at that.

If the other clowns were in we would
be doing a Bush and ignoring Kyoto - those clowns would lick the boots of
the oil companies.

Have you expressed these views to Mr. Kennedy?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

wrote:

"Henry" wrote in message

In the US the taxman does not penalise
cars run on used cooking oil, as it
is a clean burning fuel.

Yep it's always struck me as rather stupid
that the government subsidise LPG
(albeit now at a sliding rate) and yet will
not do the same for recycled
cooking fat which is effectively a carbon
neutral fuel.

Mind you, look at the rest of our wonderful
government's energy policy.

Not perfect, but not that bad either.

Relatively little involvement. That's good at least.

A large hype in insulation levels in 2007-8

For example they will subsidise hugely
expensive and inneficient

Inefficient? The energy is free - the wind.

Not exactly

Do you mean God is charging for the wind?

when the total picture is considered.
Backup generation such as gas powered
generation has to be provisioned for when there is
insufficient wind generation.

That is already here. They are not building new plant.

There is a move to build
off-shore wind farms, many have been commissioned. The UK is European
windiest country, so utilising the wind is lots of common sense. I would
rather see a wind farm on fields with cows under them than a nuclear

power
plant.

I'd rather see balanced use of different
forms of energy including nuclear.

That is what the government is doing. Nuclear is a no, no, because of waste
problems.

windfarms that **** off local residents

The country is full of NIMBY's. Country
people are perpetual whingers
anyway.

NIMBY's what? Is there something that he owns?

Pay attention.

yet are unwilling to invest the money in bringing
the country's housing stock up to the highest
standards of energy efficiency.

The government was last week slagged
for demolishing Victorian terraces.

Quite right too.

You a thing about slum dwelling haven't you?

I couldn't believe what I was seeing on TV.

That is surprising. You normally believe everything.

You are a fool.

It is cheaper in 90% of cases to
build from scratch new homes than
renovate old insulationless solid brick
walled old crap. Few renovated homes
can match a new house in insulation
standards and low energy consumption.

Perhaps people prefer to have a choice
and don't like government interference in
their selection of a place to live.

Perhaps we should have energy efficient homes. We can have an MOT type of
scheme. When the house doesn't meet energy requirement it has to be
replaced, like cars. Then the government is out of the picture.

Also the building regs are being hyped
up in the next few years to make the
UK the most insulated country on earth,
when you take into account the
temperate climate we have.

Still insulation hidden away in
peoples lofts and wall cavities
isn't quite as prominent as 150
foot tall turbines to the gullible masses
who believe we a saving the planet
with such silly things.

You have a point and more should be
done to insulate older homes. But
resistance to this is high. Just look at
the how people here dismiss high
levels of insulation.

Nobody does that.

You do.

The point is we have far too many
old houses. Most of these are just
old nothing else. Not nice, not good,
just old and small and use energy like
crazy. These should go.

Has anybody asked the owners which
they would prefer?

They consume excessive energy, which effects others. If they want to spend
more on tarting them up to meet modern energy consumption then fine, if not
demolish them.

Who bets that that we won't have
new nuclear stations planned by 2020?

There is talk of them coming back.

Good thing too.

Do you worship Satan as well?

There is no need for it, if higher
insulation levels are pushed,

In appropriate situations and applications.

All applications.

better air-tight homes,

will people be provided with
personal oxygen supplies?

The NHS does that to the sick.

higher efficient
appliances,

good idea

better town planning so people
can walk to the shops, which
means rolling back supermarkets (yippee),

good idea, especially those that are
going broke anyway

distributed power generation using
MicroCHP Stirling motor generators
(being implemented in Manchester right
now), more off-shore wind farms. By
the way about 3% of the UK has Combined
Heat and Power, and increasing. Leicester
has a strategic plan to make all the city CHP.
District CHP should be mandatory.

Communist nonsense.

Little Middle England spouts up gain. If you are a certain distance from a
sewer you "have" to be connected. I suppose making sewers mandatory is a
communist plot too. Boy are you dumb!

Take a look at East Berlin prior to 1989 (the
system there never worked),

It works in Scandinavia, and parts of Leicester too. 3% of UK homes are on
CHP right now.

There is a hell of a lot more the
government can do, but they have also
done, and are doing, quite a bit too.

Most of it is window dressing, and they
are particularly good at that.

Please read what I write. You can move your lips when you read, I will not
mind.

If the other clowns were in we would
be doing a Bush and ignoring Kyoto -
those clowns would lick the boots of
the oil companies.

Have you expressed these views to Mr. Kennedy?

You can send the to him for me, along with the same views to Dracula and
Boris.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:25:52 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

A large hype in insulation levels in 2007-8

Hype is certainly the right word, but I think you meant "hike".

There's nothing wrong in appropriate increase in insulation, provided
that all factors are considered and a genuine improvement is made as
opposed to Mandelsonian window dressing.

For example they will subsidise hugely
expensive and inneficient

Inefficient? The energy is free - the wind.

Not exactly

Do you mean God is charging for the wind?

In one way or another, I am sure that He will.

when the total picture is considered.
Backup generation such as gas powered
generation has to be provisioned for when there is
insufficient wind generation.

That is already here. They are not building new plant.

I know, but the point is that wind generation is not without carbon
cost....

There is a move to build
off-shore wind farms, many have been commissioned. The UK is European
windiest country, so utilising the wind is lots of common sense. I would
rather see a wind farm on fields with cows under them than a nuclear

power
plant.

I'd rather see balanced use of different
forms of energy including nuclear.

That is what the government is doing. Nuclear is a no, no, because of waste
problems.

You may think so. I disagree. Waste problems are manageable and
placed in context of risk factors and impacts of other forms of energy
generation is quite reasonable.

windfarms that **** off local residents

The country is full of NIMBY's. Country
people are perpetual whingers
anyway.

NIMBY's what? Is there something that he owns?

Pay attention.

I am. I suggest that you didn't..... while at school that is.

yet are unwilling to invest the money in bringing
the country's housing stock up to the highest
standards of energy efficiency.

The government was last week slagged
for demolishing Victorian terraces.

Quite right too.

You a thing about slum dwelling haven't you?

No, I have a thing about people having choice and the government
having minimal involvement in their affairs.

It is cheaper in 90% of cases to
build from scratch new homes than
renovate old insulationless solid brick
walled old crap. Few renovated homes
can match a new house in insulation
standards and low energy consumption.

Perhaps people prefer to have a choice
and don't like government interference in
their selection of a place to live.

Perhaps we should have energy efficient homes. We can have an MOT type of
scheme. When the house doesn't meet energy requirement it has to be
replaced, like cars.

That's an armchair wet dream. Completely impracticable. Who is
going to fund the cost of the house replacement, even if it were
desirable to replace it?

Then the government is out of the picture.

That's a good idea.

Also the building regs are being hyped
up in the next few years to make the
UK the most insulated country on earth,
when you take into account the
temperate climate we have.

Still insulation hidden away in
peoples lofts and wall cavities
isn't quite as prominent as 150
foot tall turbines to the gullible masses
who believe we a saving the planet
with such silly things.

You have a point and more should be
done to insulate older homes. But
resistance to this is high. Just look at
the how people here dismiss high
levels of insulation.

Nobody does that.

You do.

You know very well what I have said on the subject, and that it is
based on sound engineering principles rather than senseless dogma.

The point is we have far too many
old houses. Most of these are just
old nothing else. Not nice, not good,
just old and small and use energy like
crazy. These should go.

Has anybody asked the owners which
they would prefer?

They consume excessive energy, which effects others. If they want to spend
more on tarting them up to meet modern energy consumption then fine, if not
demolish them.

If you feel so strongly on this point, would you be willing to fund
said owners to "tart up" their properties?

Who bets that that we won't have
new nuclear stations planned by 2020?

There is talk of them coming back.

Good thing too.

Do you worship Satan as well?

No, do you?

There is no need for it, if higher
insulation levels are pushed,

In appropriate situations and applications.

All applications.

Twit....

better air-tight homes,

will people be provided with
personal oxygen supplies?

The NHS does that to the sick.

The NHS does very little to the sick that is of value.

higher efficient
appliances,

good idea

better town planning so people
can walk to the shops, which
means rolling back supermarkets (yippee),

good idea, especially those that are
going broke anyway

distributed power generation using
MicroCHP Stirling motor generators
(being implemented in Manchester right
now), more off-shore wind farms. By
the way about 3% of the UK has Combined
Heat and Power, and increasing. Leicester
has a strategic plan to make all the city CHP.
District CHP should be mandatory.

Communist nonsense.

Little Middle England spouts up gain. If you are a certain distance from a
sewer you "have" to be connected. I suppose making sewers mandatory is a
communist plot too. Boy are you dumb!

They (generally) work properly.....

Take a look at East Berlin prior to 1989 (the
system there never worked),

It works in Scandinavia, and parts of Leicester too. 3% of UK homes are on
CHP right now.

Great. I know quite a lot of people in Scandinavia and district
heating is not as widespread as you would like to imagine. Most
people heat their homes with electicity.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Doctor Evil

wrote:

A large hype in insulation levels in 2007-8

Hype is certainly the right word, but I think you meant "hike".

There's nothing wrong in appropriate increase in insulation, provided
that all factors are considered and a genuine improvement is made as
opposed to Mandelsonian window dressing.

Do you think he is putting insulation in windows?

For example they will subsidise hugely
expensive and inneficient

Inefficient? The energy is free - the wind.

Not exactly

Do you mean God is charging for the wind?

In one way or another, I am sure that He will.

You do worship Satan..

when the total picture is considered.
Backup generation such as gas powered
generation has to be provisioned for when there is
insufficient wind generation.

That is already here. They are not building new plant.

I know, but the point is that wind generation
is not without carbon cost....

Still far cleaner than other methods.

There is a move to build
off-shore wind farms, many have
been commissioned. The UK is Europes
windiest country, so utilising the wind
is lots of common sense. I would
rather see a wind farm on fields with
cows under them than a nuclearpower
plant.

I'd rather see balanced use of different
forms of energy including nuclear.

That is what the government is doing.
Nuclear is a no, no, because of waste
problems.

You may think so. I disagree.

You do worship Satan.

windfarms that **** off local residents

The country is full of NIMBY's. Country
people are perpetual whingers
anyway.

NIMBY's what? Is there something that he owns?

Pay attention.

I am.

You are not.

yet are unwilling to invest the money in bringing
the country's housing stock up to the highest
standards of energy efficiency.

The government was last week slagged
for demolishing Victorian terraces.

Quite right too.

You a thing about slum dwelling haven't you?

No, I have a thing about people having
choice and the government
having minimal involvement in their affairs.

As long as they don't interfere with others. High energy houses affects
others. We stop cars from polluting, so we should do the same with houses.

It is cheaper in 90% of cases to
build from scratch new homes than
renovate old insulationless solid brick
walled old crap. Few renovated homes
can match a new house in insulation
standards and low energy consumption.

Perhaps people prefer to have a choice
and don't like government interference in
their selection of a place to live.

erhaps we should have energy efficient
homes. We can have an MOT type of
scheme. When the house doesn't meet
energy requirement it has to be
replaced, like cars.

That's an armchair wet dream. Completely
impracticable.

No it is not. If a home does not meet the standards it has to be uprated or
demolished. The same for cars.

Who is going to fund the cost of
the house replacement, even if it were
desirable to replace it?

They move into public housing while the council demolishes or sell it off to
someone who can uprate it. Any money left over the owner gets. In the USA
it is common to see houses only 40 years get demolished. Who funds all
that?

Then the government is out of the picture.

That's a good idea.

It is. Like they should be out of ****ing about with planning and land.
Which ramps up land prices, which ramps up house prices too. The government
should be out of housing as much as possible and not restrict us building on
any land.

Also the building regs are being hyped
up in the next few years to make the
UK the most insulated country on earth,
when you take into account the
temperate climate we have.

Still insulation hidden away in
peoples lofts and wall cavities
isn't quite as prominent as 150
foot tall turbines to the gullible masses
who believe we a saving the planet
with such silly things.

You have a point and more should be
done to insulate older homes. But
resistance to this is high. Just look at
the how people here dismiss high
levels of insulation.

Nobody does that.

You do.

You know very well what I have said
on the subject, and that it is based on
sound engineering principles rather
than senseless dogma.

It isn't.

The point is we have far too many
old houses. Most of these are just
old nothing else. Not nice, not good,
just old and small and use energy like
crazy. These should go.

Has anybody asked the owners which
they would prefer?

They consume excessive energy, which
effects others. If they want to spend
more on tarting them up to meet modern
energy consumption then fine, if not
demolish them.

If you feel so strongly on this point, would
you be willing to fund said owners to "tart up"
their properties?

The government has given energy grants in the past.

Who bets that that we won't have
new nuclear stations planned by 2020?

There is talk of them coming back.

Good thing too.

Do you worship Satan as well?

No, do you?

Are you trying to recruit me?

[...]

So does CHP when done properly.

Take a look at East Berlin prior to 1989 (the
system there never worked),

It works in Scandinavia, and parts of
Leicester too. 3% of UK homes are on
CHP right now.

Great. I know quite a lot of people
in Scandinavia and district
heating is not as widespread as you
would like to imagine. Most
people heat their homes with electicity.

CHP is widespread. Electricity is because it is from hydro.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Alan

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
Screwfix in Luton opened yesterday (Friday).
It's just a trade counter so you can't browse around, unfortunately.
Open until 8pm weekdays and 6pm weekends.
There's 10% off for callers through to Sunday 26th.

It's in Bilton Way industrial estate off Dallow Road, which is not far

from
the Luton B&Q which was demolished earlier this year, and Watford

Electronics.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I hope to get down there next week to have a look. Andrew - are you based in
Luton? It's a novelty to see anything on this group close to home!

Alan.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Alan" writes:

I hope to get down there next week to have a look. Andrew - are you based in
Luton? It's a novelty to see anything on this group close to home!

No, I'm based in Hampshire, but I'm quite often in the Luton area.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Screwfix to open in Luton. RedOnRed UK diy 1 May 6th 05 08:44 PM
Screwfix + Lynx = A change in service contract (at last) [email protected] UK diy 9 December 17th 04 01:00 AM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM