zaax

Default D-I-Y installation of fire sprinklers

Why can't I install fire sprinklers myself?
Seems easy enough mains water already ready in the attic.
A bit of push fit piping from B&Q
Hole in ceiling
one head
= one sprinkler system
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com
BigWallop

"zaax" wrote in message
Why can't I install fire sprinklers myself?
Seems easy enough mains water already ready in the attic.
A bit of push fit piping from B&Q
Hole in ceiling
one head
= one sprinkler system

Zaax

How are you going to activate them? If you choose the glass bubble type,
then how often are you going to test them to make sure they'll work when
they need to? They're also not that suitable for smouldering materials,
which, in a residential environment, is not a good thing.

Are you sure there is no other way to stop the water than at the hydrant
point in the street? Your mains supply is not one to be relied upon in an
emergency situation, and that's why an uninterruptible water supply is
needed for this type of installation.

How hot does it get in your house?

Steve Walker

zaax wrote:
Why can't I install fire sprinklers myself?

who says you can't?

Rick

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:18:41 +0100, zaax
wrote:

Why can't I install fire sprinklers myself?
Seems easy enough mains water already ready in the attic.
A bit of push fit piping from B&Q

The thouught that the piping must be able to stand the teat of the
fire, else it will break, and the water will come out in the wrong
place. But a pipe full of water is a bugger to solder, so maybe you
just need to not use rubber push fit seals and plastic pipes ....

You need to consider accidents, I guess an accident with the sprinkler
is more likley than a fire, which is what puts me off.

Rick

Hole in ceiling
one head
= one sprinkler system

Kaiser

"zaax" wrote in message
Why can't I install fire sprinklers myself?

Because your Insurers will require an LPC registered company to design and
install them, to make sure in the case of a fire that the loss or damage
through fire is not offset by the amount of water damage. Otherwise your
insurance could be null and void.

The installation would need to be properly calculated, to make sure the town
main has sufficient water flow at a given pressure and pipework sizes are
sufficient, dependant upon the hazard rating set by the insurers.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:29:09 +0100, "Kaiser" wrote:

Because your Insurers will require an LPC registered company to design and
install them, to make sure in the case of a fire that the loss or damage
through fire is not offset by the amount of water damage. Otherwise your
insurance could be null and void.

The installation would need to be properly calculated, to make sure the town
main has sufficient water flow at a given pressure and pipework sizes are
sufficient, dependant upon the hazard rating set by the insurers.

There may be a number of other issues too (amongst many):

The law may say that X is not compulsory. However, if you do use X
that you then take on certain obligations.

For example, it used to be the case (and it may still be the case)
that an older vehicle did not require seat belts. However, if you
fitted seat belts to that vehicle, then you were required by the law
to wear them.

You may find that installing fire safety equipment may place certain
requirements upon you in terms of planning regulations, fire safety
regulations and other regulations.

It is worth checking with the local fire service and the council
planning department.

If you are in a rented property, then you may find that you need the
landlord's consent.

Graham