Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Default Flue location dilemma.

Having whipped out old boiler, ready for install of new, we have come
across a query WRT flue location.
Original flue was facing outwards towards next door neighbours garage
about 7' away with property boundary mid way.
We are informed this is now not possible under current legislation.

The house is built on a steep slope, so, the other option is send the
flue out the front of the house into front garden, but due to hill, the
flue would emerge about 12" above ground level.
Would this be acceptable or are we going to have to route flue out and
up from either location?

Cheers
Pete
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Christian McArdle

Would this be acceptable or are we going to have to route flue out and
up from either location?

Route it up. I wouldn't put an ugly flue on the front of the property, but a
vertical flue and terminal on the side of the house won't look much
different from a soil pipe.

Christian.

fred

In article , Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk writes
Having whipped out old boiler, ready for install of new, we have come
across a query WRT flue location.
Original flue was facing outwards towards next door neighbours garage
about 7' away with property boundary mid way.
We are informed this is now not possible under current legislation.

I can't see anything wrong with this, have you been given any specifics?
From a gas fitting site:
"600 mm from any surface, structure, fence or boundary facing the
terminal" seems to cover it.
--
fred
John Rumm

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:

Having whipped out old boiler, ready for install of new, we have come
across a query WRT flue location.
Original flue was facing outwards towards next door neighbours garage
about 7' away with property boundary mid way.
We are informed this is now not possible under current legislation.

I would have thought 7' would be enough, might be different if their
house wall was right on the boundary....

--
Cheers,

John.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Having whipped out old boiler, ready for install of new, we have come
across a query WRT flue location.

snip

's OK. Just had a word with a man that is in the know who has advised
the only stipulation is the tip of the flue must be no closer than 30 cm
to the boundary line, and if installed in the other location it just
needs a cage over the flue. Which I suppose is outdated legislation as
gasses are not hot, but it might prevent hedgehogs and mice scuttling in.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Christian McArdle wrote:

Route it up. I wouldn't put an ugly flue on the front of the property

Technically it's not on the "front" as it's a sort of "cut away" bit of
the house which has a wilderness of plants that hide the gas meter box
and isn't visible from the front of the house.

On a side note, just for information, he also said in view of numerous
letters he has sent to the HSE? (or which ever government(?) official is
responsible for gas installation regulations etc) with regards to part L
and the cumpolsory installation of condensing boilers, Part L is under
review with regards to possible infringement of freedom of choice etc.
and the restriction of trade with regrads to manufacturers which may
have warehouses of un-saleable stock etc.

Also.... :¬) the "nusiance" factor of artificially created fog/smog ...
e.g. every household has a condensing boiler, all of which will be
running flat out say between 07:00 and 09:00 (rush hour)on a cold
winters morning could present very significant problems.

Don't take it as gospell, but it all makes sense to me.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
John Rumm

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:

Also.... :¬) the "nusiance" factor of artificially created fog/smog ...
e.g. every household has a condensing boiler, all of which will be
running flat out say between 07:00 and 09:00 (rush hour)on a cold
winters morning could present very significant problems.

That has to be complete nonsense when you think about it. There is
actually more water vapour present in the exhaust of a conventional
boiler than there is in that of a condenser.

The only difference is that on a conventional boiler that exhaust gas
temperature is higher, so the conversion back to visible water vapour
will occur some distance from the flue (where it is now more dispersed
and hence less visible).

--
Cheers,

John.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

John Rumm wrote:

That has to be complete nonsense when you think about it. There is
actually more water vapour present in the exhaust of a conventional
boiler than there is in that of a condenser.

The only difference is that on a conventional boiler that exhaust gas
temperature is higher, so the conversion back to visible water vapour
will occur some distance from the flue (where it is now more dispersed
and hence less visible).

Guess so. but.....
clutching at straws
the hotter gasses of conventional would and do make the gasses go up
even on the coldest days, whereas the colder gases from condensor would
be more localised and at a more inconvienient hight?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Tony Bryer

In article , Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Part L is under review
with regards to possible infringement of freedom of choice etc.
and the restriction of trade with regrads to manufacturers which
may have warehouses of un-saleable stock etc.

That's a new on me - how long have the new condensing-only (with
exceptions) rules been flagged up - 12 months or more. Anyone in any
manufacturing business, regs affected or not, who has warehouses of
unsaleable stock probably shouldn't be in business.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:45:26 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Part L is under review
with regards to possible infringement of freedom of choice etc.
and the restriction of trade with regrads to manufacturers which
may have warehouses of un-saleable stock etc.

That's a new on me - how long have the new condensing-only (with
exceptions) rules been flagged up - 12 months or more. Anyone in any
manufacturing business, regs affected or not, who has warehouses of
unsaleable stock probably shouldn't be in business.

There is a flourishing "under the counter" trade of non-condensors at the
moment. A basic combi can be gotten from 310+VAT. It would not be a unit I
would choose...