Jason Judge

wrote in message
oups.com...
"New Scientist" is a British based popular science weekly. They do get
the science right, but insist of presenting it in an "entertaining"
way.

The idea is that the magazine presents cross-discipline science and
technology, in a way that any scientist (or inquiring mind) can pick up and
read. It comes across as 'entertaining' through the need to appeal to a very
wide audience. It is spot-on IMO.

-- JJ

Jason Judge

"John Larkin" wrote in message

Why the hell should a science magazine have politics?

It doesn't have "politics" in the way that most Americans understand the
subject. It's not about taking sides and discrediting the other side, and
pushing strong views one way or the other. It does, however, tackle opinion
on a wide range of subjects that affect us all. In that respect - 'politics'
is something that cannot be avoided.

-- JJ

Jason Judge

"Pig Bladder" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:19:34 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Why the hell should a science magazine have politics?

Suggesting that the evidences states that global warming may actually be
happening is apparently political.

Christian.

Only when it fudges the numbers to get a foregone conclusion. Or maybe
also when they dismiss the evidence that states the exact opposite.

Oh yes, "they" always do that, don't "they". It's a good job "we" know the
truth...

bah!

-- JJ

Jason Judge

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tim Shoppa wrote:

In the US there is pretty good tracking of Cobalt-60 sources (lotsa
paperwork etc.) but in third world countries the handling is a lot
morre shoddy (many newspaper articles about how some piece of medical
equipment using it turned up in dumps, folks took the metal and made
furniture like beds, then died, etc.)

Tell me something:

1. Whats the odds of the above happening? Multiply the number of deaths
by the odds.

2. Now how many lives could such a machine save? How much food that was
going to spoil could be made to last long enough to feed people? How
many lives could that food be expected to save in Africa?

Something that has not been considered in this thread, is whether this is
really a good approach: trying to find some highly technical solution to
some problem that may or may not exist. Are we saying that people in Africa
are dying because they are consuming big globs of rancid fat, gone off in
the heat? On the other hand, how quickly does dried fruit in a dry
atmosphere go rotten enough to kill people?

What on earth did Africa do before? Were they really all getting ill from
their traditional diet? Could the problem actually be new foods that we are
selling to these countries, that turn out to be totally unsuitable for the
climate? Are we trying to fix a problem that should not be there in the
first place?

How does irradiated beefburgers help the millions dying of AIDs? What about
the millions displaced by war? Diseases spread by parasites and sewage and
floods? Does irradiated food help them?

I think we really need to understand the real problems being faced around
the world. I just wanted to inject some sanity, as I see it, here ;-)

-- JJ

Jason Judge

"John Larkin" wrote in message

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY...aug03/irr.html

That article sums it up for me. The problem is one of beefburgers and
similar convenience and mass-produced foods, giving people food poisoning in
the West. If people eat this crap, cooked for them by spotty teenagers on a
few dollars and hour, then what do they expect? So, irradiating now means
the the food can be even more mistreated, and poison fewer people?

If food is grown, stored, processed and cooked properly, it poses very
little risk to start with.

-- JJ

Ian White

Jason Judge wrote:
So, irradiating now means the the food can be even more mistreated,

That is where the UK would like to draw the line, and say no to using
irradiation for that purpose - not because it is unsafe, but on
principle.

Unfortunately there seems to be no way within the EU to prevent certain
products like prawns being exported to the Netherlands, where
irradiation is allowed, and then re-imported to the UK.

When reading about the claimed benefits of food irradiation, you always
need to check who's writing. People who want to sell irradiation plants
will obviously talk up the benefits... but the cost means that
remarkably few food producers want to buy them. (As others have said,
the vast majority of irradiation plant capacity is used for sterilizing
medical products.)

Where the UK does allow irradiation is for things like herbs and spices.
Given the cost of an irradiation plant - particularly in the countries
where such products are grown - it's something nobody would do for the
fun of it. It seems fair to presume there is a particular problem about
herbs and spices that has no better solution.

--
Ian White
The Natural Philosopher

Jason Judge wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

"New Scientist" is a British based popular science weekly. They do get
the science right, but insist of presenting it in an "entertaining"
way.

The idea is that the magazine presents cross-discipline science and
technology, in a way that any scientist (or inquiring mind) can pick up and
read. It comes across as 'entertaining' through the need to appeal to a very
wide audience. It is spot-on IMO.

They have a rather lefty bias, and fairly sloppy gosh wow reporting, but
it is worth a read now and again.

-- JJ

raden

In message , Jason Judge
writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
"New Scientist" is a British based popular science weekly. They do get
the science right, but insist of presenting it in an "entertaining"
way.

The idea is that the magazine presents cross-discipline science and
technology, in a way that any scientist (or inquiring mind) can pick up and
read. It comes across as 'entertaining' through the need to appeal to a very
wide audience. It is spot-on IMO.

Yup ...

--
geoff
raden

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Jason Judge wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

"New Scientist" is a British based popular science weekly. They do
get
the science right, but insist of presenting it in an "entertaining"
way.

The idea is that the magazine presents cross-discipline science and
technology, in a way that any scientist (or inquiring mind) can pick up and
read. It comes across as 'entertaining' through the need to appeal to a very
wide audience. It is spot-on IMO.

They have a rather lefty bias,

Put the capitalists up against the wall (except me, of course)

and fairly sloppy gosh wow reporting,

It's popular science, it's not trying to emulate Nature

but it is worth a read now and again.

It's what I read during my morning "sit"

oops missed the "h"

--
geoff

raden

In message , Jason Judge
writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
Tim Shoppa wrote:

[...]

The new boi has now made several exceedingly sensible posts

Welcome sir

--
geoff
raden

In message , Ian White
writes
Jason Judge wrote:
[...]

Jason Judge mode

People have been using dried herbs and spices for thousands of years
without any problem

.... what problem ?

--
geoff

Jason Judge wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com.

2. Now how many lives could such a machine save? How much food that was
going to spoil could be made to last long enough to feed people? How
many lives could that food be expected to save in Africa?

Something that has not been considered in this thread, is whether this is
really a good approach: trying to find some highly technical solution to
some problem that may or may not exist. Are we saying that people in Africa
are dying because they are consuming big globs of rancid fat, gone off in
the heat?

Every country suffers loss from food spoilage, and food poisoning.
Africa is especially bad on food poisoning because people can not aford
to throw food away, so the risks taken are much higher than here.
Radiation can reduce that considerably. The lack of domestic fridges
doesnt help either.

Rad can also sterilise food that was diseased to start with, again much
reducing deaths, by killing bacteria and stopping further production of
toxins.

Africa is a continent with a meat-rich diet, very little in the way of
health and safety controls, almost no domestic fridges or freezers, and
a population desperate for food. A combination of factors leading to
relatively high risks of food poisoning.

On the other hand, how quickly does dried fruit in a dry
atmosphere go rotten enough to kill people?

That isnt whats going to get irradiated, because that isnt the problem.

What on earth did Africa do before? Were they really all getting ill from
their traditional diet?

dying, in massive numbers. Why? Primarily because there isnt enough
food. Also infections from food to a lseser extent.

At least today with modern foods and technologies things have greatly
improved. Today 0.8 billion out of 6 billion is in poverty, in 1930 it
was 2 billion out of 3 billion.

Could the problem actually be new foods that we are
selling to these countries, that turn out to be totally unsuitable for the
climate?

no, that has nothing to do with it

Are we trying to fix a problem that should not be there in the
first place?

What does should have to do with it? The question is what is. What is
is food shortage.

How does irradiated beefburgers help the millions dying of AIDs? What about
the millions displaced by war? Diseases spread by parasites and sewage and
floods? Does irradiated food help them?

No, it only helps people to get to eat.

I think we really need to understand the real problems being faced around
the world.

obviously

I just wanted to inject some sanity, as I see it, here ;-)

Food shortage is one of the biggest problems, one of many of course.
Plenty die from lack of food there. Most people have to work more than
full time there just to eat. Maybe you need to do some reading.

NT

Jason Judge wrote:

I'll just tackle your one worst sentence here.

If food is grown, stored, processed and cooked properly, it poses very
little risk to start with.

Firstly its entirely untrue, reality is masses of people get ill and
die from food that has been grown stored processed and cooked properly.
Radiation does not eliminate all causes of this, but it does eliminate
some, thus reducing deaths.

Secondly a lot of food gets spoiled and ditched before it reaches the
table. Again with radiated food less of it goes off within a given time
period, so there is less food lost this way.

3rd, and possibly biggest of all, your implication that the solution to
Africas food problem is to grow, store, process and cook food properly
is truly unrealistic. They do not have the means to do it, or even come
close. Its simply a non-starter suggestion.

4th, if radiation can reduce imported food costs, as it can, again that
means more food for all in countries that just dont have enough to eat
today.

Radiation does not prevent all food poisoning or loss, but it does
reduce it.

NT

raden

In message . com,
writes
Jason Judge wrote:
Africa is a continent with a meat-rich diet, very little in the way of
health and safety controls, almost no domestic fridges or freezers, and
a population desperate for food.

Which is different from other "third world" countries, how ?

They have survived for thousands of years, what's changed?

Only politics

Zimbabwe immediately springs to mins

On the other hand, how quickly does dried fruit in a dry
atmosphere go rotten enough to kill people?

That isnt whats going to get irradiated, because that isnt the problem.

IMO, you're ****ing in the wind

You are talking of a massive population

How many machines, and at what cost are you expecting to have to produce
?

You need to be looking at cheap, low tech solutions, not expensive
hi-tech ones - believe me, they just don't work. Look at how things work
historically.

What on earth did Africa do before? Were they really all getting ill from
their traditional diet?

dying, in massive numbers. Why? Primarily because there isnt enough
food.

That's to a large extent a political problem, water being the main
culprit

Also infections from food to a lseser extent.

And inf4ections from AIDS to a larger extent

At least today with modern foods and technologies things have greatly
improved. Today 0.8 billion out of 6 billion is in poverty, in 1930 it
was 2 billion out of 3 billion.

Could the problem actually be new foods that we are
selling to these countries, that turn out to be totally unsuitable for the
climate?

no, that has nothing to do with it

Yes it does, foods which are not the natural staple are being pushed on
indigenous populations who end up with the worst of both worlds

Are we trying to fix a problem that should not be there in the
first place?

What does should have to do with it? The question is what is. What is
is food shortage.

You have it wrong

Until the political situations are sorted, the problems with food will
continue to exist

Do you really think that you're going to end up with a product which is
a) affordable and b) will get distributed to those who need it and c)
won't get used as a political weapon by those in power ?

How does irradiated beefburgers help the millions dying of AIDs? What about
the millions displaced by war? Diseases spread by parasites and sewage and
floods? Does irradiated food help them?

No, it only helps people to get to eat.

You've never lived in a "third world" country have you

I think we really need to understand the real problems being faced around
the world.

obviously

I just wanted to inject some sanity, as I see it, here ;-)

Food shortage is one of the biggest problems, one of many of course.
Plenty die from lack of food there. Most people have to work more than
full time there just to eat.

But we're talking about staple foods like maize and rice - what good is
irradiation going to do ?

Maybe you need to do some reading.

Maybe you need to get out there and discover the real problems.

--
geoff

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
On 19 Jun 2005 09:49:37 -0700, wrote:

It's already being done here in the U.S., at least for military meals.
Seal in plastic, then irradiate.

Because the requirements are that the stuff can be stored for 30 years and
still be edible - and whatever risk there might be in eating it is probably
small compared to the daily risks of the soldier. They only live off those
field rations when actually IN the field - the normal food is prepared the
normal way.

I don't know what type of radiation is being used.

Beta - it's easier to make and control.

Of course it's being resisted for use in public consumption by the
loonie greenies, but it's certainly the correct answer for food
preservation AND stopping food-borne illness.

What you are saying is that we need to go lowest common denominator and all
live off preserved food because a limited few, including processing plants,
do not have the skills to handle real foodstuff. You go right ahead and live
on that crap if you like it so much; Freedom of choice and all.

I much prefer that the "problem" was solved by quality staff who wash their
hands after going to the toilet and do not pick their nose or fondle their
genitals while working (i.e. no fastfood ;-), fresh raw materials that were
handled properly, and good kitchen skills - including the use of ones nose
and eyes. I can do that so why should my quality of life be diminished by
tainting the food to benefit those who cannot?

One of the few places sterilisation of food has merit to consumers I.M.O. is
in Spices - presently Methylene Bromide is used, a thoroughly nasty
chemical, to kill the germs in the bat **** and whatnot that comes with the
Curry. But that is about it - during the summer, I use fresh spices anyway.

Besides -

Radiation will not remove Toxins, f.ex. shellfish gone a bit off then
"rejuvenated" by a dose of radiation to stop the rotting & the stink that
tells you that you better not eat this, will still give you an extended stay
in the old john. This has happened here in Europe - beware of the tasteless
shrimp with funny texture!!!

I sometimes think there should be a bounty offered for loonie
greenies, after all they ARE a terrorist group ;-)

Like Salman Rushdie?

Paul Burke

Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

why should my quality of life be diminished by
tainting the food to benefit those who cannot?

You're missing the point- processed food and nookler power are articles
of faith in some quarters, like gnus for the NMRA (how I hate those
bare- armed railroad buffs!)

One of the few places sterilisation of food has merit ..to kill the germs in the bat **** and whatnot that comes with the
Curry.

That's what cooking is for. Nowt wrong with bat ****, adds to the taste.
A few years ago, a friend was going through my brother's curry spices,
and came across a jar of brown powder. Inspecting it, she asked "why do
you keep henna in the spice cupboard?" He didn't know what it was, and
had been adding half a teaspoon full to most curries for the previous 10
years. No ill effects, if you count him as normal normally.

Paul Burke
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

"Paul Burke" wrote in message

You're missing the point- processed food and nookler power are articles
of faith in some quarters, like gnus for the NMRA (how I hate those
bare- armed railroad buffs!)

*gnus*?? well, it is probably some sort of beef ;-)

.... or a clever anagram not to attract a certain crowd that will be summoned
by certain trigger words. Like when dropping someting in the Kitchen will
always attract The Dog who knows *exactly* the sound of the kitchen floor -
even in deep sleep.

One of the few places sterilisation of food has merit ..to kill the

germs in the bat **** and whatnot that comes with the
Curry.

That's what cooking is for. Nowt wrong with bat ****, adds to the taste.

Aiiii: The Dust - when throwing it in the pot you will inhale it, somtimes
we drop spices into salads and chip-dip and the cooking will not kill all
spores. Them Anthrax are hard germs to get rid off.

A few years ago, a friend was going through my brother's curry spices,
and came across a jar of brown powder. Inspecting it, she asked "why do
you keep henna in the spice cupboard?" He didn't know what it was, and
had been adding half a teaspoon full to most curries for the previous 10
years. No ill effects, if you count him as normal normally.

Double Aiiii: Dumping unknown substances in ones food is tempting Darwin,
Henna is a bad allergen; maybe disgruntled former wife left it there
believing it was rat-poison?

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

wrote in message
oups.com...

1. Whats the odds of the above happening? Multiply the number of deaths
by the odds.

Probability 1.0 ... That's the deal with third-world countries. Since nobody
bothers with cause of death and barely counts dead people, we cannot quote
odds.

2. Now how many lives could such a machine save? How much food that was
going to spoil could be made to last long enough to feed people? How
many lives could that food be expected to save in Africa?

A Negative Number, It will go the way it always does:

Vital Parts would be stolen immediately and food would pile up and spoil
outside waiting to be irradiated. After many months new parts will arrive
under armed escort, but the contract of the engineer responsible for fitting
them, will have expired. Nobody else knows what to do and there will be an
election in the donor country anyway so the issue will not make it past even
the personal letters in any media.

Meanwhile the local government would declare that it was a conspiracy of the
Whites/Jews/Christians/Opposition/USA to keep the food away from the people
while selling the spoiled food in opposition areas causing disease and
malnutrition there. Eventually the UN would send some more dry food, which
would end up on the market and push more local farmers out of business
increasing the need.

I wonder if all this "saving lives" business is not simply delaying the
point where Africa will start to deal with it's own problems, instead of
being bailed out by "the west" time after time (and whining about that too).

Jim Thompson

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:10:48 +0200, "Frithiof Andreas Jensen"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

Of course it's being resisted for use in public consumption by the
loonie greenies, but it's certainly the correct answer for food
preservation AND stopping food-borne illness.

What you are saying is that we need to go lowest common denominator and all
live off preserved food because a limited few, including processing plants,
do not have the skills to handle real foodstuff. You go right ahead and live
on that crap if you like it so much; Freedom of choice and all.

[snip]

No. The food in the grocery does not meet my definition of fresh. It
does not taste as if it were picked at optimum ripeness yesterday. In
fact it is substantially tasteless since it was picked weeks ago while
still green.

Irradiation of a fruit or vegetable at optimum ripeness stops the
progression on into rot, thus giving me the opportunity to enjoy
"fresh" again.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

richard mullens

Paul Burke wrote:
[...]

In the days when I took sugar in my coffee, contamination of the sugar by coffee granules from the spoon was to be expected, but
when I found undissolved mouse turds when I drained my cup I asked my girlfriend to take more care when making the coffee.

No ill effects, but the dregs didn't taste too good !
keith

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:11:07 +0200, Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

"Paul Burke" wrote in message

You're missing the point- processed food and nookler power are articles
of faith in some quarters, like gnus for the NMRA (how I hate those
bare- armed railroad buffs!)

*gnus*?? well, it is probably some sort of beef ;-)

Not quite.

... or a clever anagram not to attract a certain crowd that will be summoned
by certain trigger words.

^^^^^^^ Interesting choice!

Like when dropping someting in the Kitchen will
always attract The Dog who knows *exactly* the sound of the kitchen floor -
even in deep sleep.

The toast will always land jelly-down. The dog is irrelevent here.

Hey, if he want's to eat congessional mail (bat**** and all)...

A few years ago, a friend was going through my brother's curry spices,
and came across a jar of brown powder. Inspecting it, she asked "why do
you keep henna in the spice cupboard?" He didn't know what it was, and
had been adding half a teaspoon full to most curries for the previous 10
years. No ill effects, if you count him as normal normally.

Double Aiiii: Dumping unknown substances in ones food is tempting Darwin,
Henna is a bad allergen; maybe disgruntled former wife left it there
believing it was rat-poison?

Too bad. Didn't work. Darwin escaped.

--
Keith

raden wrote:
In message . com,
writes
Jason Judge wrote:

Africa is a continent with a meat-rich diet, very little in the way of
health and safety controls, almost no domestic fridges or freezers, and
a population desperate for food.

Which is different from other "third world" countries, how ?

thats relevant how?

On the other hand, how quickly does dried fruit in a dry
atmosphere go rotten enough to kill people?

That isnt whats going to get irradiated, because that isnt the problem.

IMO, you're ****ing in the wind

You are talking of a massive population

no, I wasnt. But you can.

How many machines, and at what cost are you expecting to have to produce
?

I was looking at one, finding out whether it was possible, afordable,
and if it would be worthwhile. Due to its size and the safety
complications, it isnt.

You need to be looking at cheap, low tech solutions, not expensive
hi-tech ones

youre confusing 2 things, cost and technology level. Obviusuly low cost
is necessary, but low tech is not. The need around technology is that
the unit work long term. This can be achieved in a number of possible
ways:
1. use low tech repairable locally
2. use high reliability high tech so it wont need repair
3. use multiple small devices so that the expected failure rate does
not kill the project

1 requires low etch, 2 and 3 can use low, high, medium or astronomic,
it makes no difference.

What on earth did Africa do before? Were they really all getting ill from
their traditional diet?

dying, in massive numbers. Why? Primarily because there isnt enough
food.

That's to a large extent a political problem, water being the main
culprit

sure its politically caused, but with respect Im not planning a coup
d'etat. I was looking to see what could be done within the system, not
to change the system. I'll leave the mass invasion to you.

Also infections from food to a lseser extent.

And inf4ections from AIDS to a larger extent

yep, been looking a bit at that too. Tough nut to crack though. Theres
no cure for aids. Kids are already educated on prevention, but behave
recklessly anyway.

Until the political situations are sorted, the problems with food will
continue to exist

that much is obvious. But like I said, Im not getting into a coup.

Do you really think that you're going to end up with a product which is
a) affordable

if anything goes ahead, it only does so if it were affordable. This
isnt difficult to work out.

and b) will get distributed to those who need it

I was looking at portable sterilisation for post distribution, not pre.

and c)
won't get used as a political weapon by those in power ?

The risk of that is acceptably low with a portable steriliser.

How does irradiated beefburgers help the millions dying of AIDs? What about
the millions displaced by war? Diseases spread by parasites and sewage and
floods? Does irradiated food help them?

No, it only helps people to get to eat.

You've never lived in a "third world" country have you

I'm talking about a country that is not at war, has not been at war for
some time, and does not suffer floods. You seem to be thinking of
something else.

Food shortage is one of the biggest problems, one of many of course.
Plenty die from lack of food there. Most people have to work more than
full time there just to eat.

But we're talking about staple foods like maize and rice - what good is
irradiation going to do ?

no we're not, or I'm not. Its primarily meat that needs irradiating.

Maybe you need to do some reading.

Maybe you need to get out there and discover the real problems.

Already have someone whos done that. I think the problem is youre
thinking about the messier countries like the congo, and Im talking
about the more stable ones.

NT

Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

I wonder if all this "saving lives" business is not simply delaying the
point where Africa will start to deal with it's own problems, instead of
being bailed out by "the west" time after time (and whining about that too).

Sure it needs to change, but I dont see any likely mechanism by which
countries will change by themselves. So, predictably, very few have.

NT

raden

In message . com,
writes
raden wrote:
In message . com,
writes
Jason Judge wrote:

Africa is a continent with a meat-rich diet, very little in the way of
health and safety controls, almost no domestic fridges or freezers, and
a population desperate for food.

Which is different from other "third world" countries, how ?

thats relevant how?

In that low tech traditional solutions have done and do work

the main problem is drought - lack of water, not lack of food (other
than a consequence of drought)

On the other hand, how quickly does dried fruit in a dry
atmosphere go rotten enough to kill people?

That isnt whats going to get irradiated, because that isnt the problem.

IMO, you're ****ing in the wind

You are talking of a massive population

no, I wasnt.

So who are you trying to help then ?

a select few ?

But you can.

That's the reality of the situation

How many machines, and at what cost are you expecting to have to produce
?

I was looking at one, finding out whether it was possible, afordable,
and if it would be worthwhile. Due to its size and the safety
complications, it isnt.

You need to be looking at cheap, low tech solutions, not expensive
hi-tech ones

youre confusing 2 things, cost and technology level. Obviusuly low cost
is necessary, but low tech is not.

No I'm not

The need around technology is that
the unit work long term. This can be achieved in a number of possible
ways:
1. use low tech repairable locally

By whom ?

2. use high reliability high tech so it wont need repair

optimistic

3. use multiple small devices so that the expected failure rate does
not kill the project

1 requires low etch, 2 and 3 can use low, high, medium or astronomic,
it makes no difference.

There is enough food to feed them, what is lacking is the political will
to do so

What on earth did Africa do before? Were they really all getting ill from
their traditional diet?

dying, in massive numbers. Why? Primarily because there isnt enough
food.

That's to a large extent a political problem, water being the main
culprit

sure its politically caused, but with respect Im not planning a coup
d'etat.

T'would be a better way of spending money

I was looking to see what could be done within the system, not
to change the system. I'll leave the mass invasion to you.

See above

Also infections from food to a lseser extent.

And inf4ections from AIDS to a larger extent

yep, been looking a bit at that too. Tough nut to crack though. Theres
no cure for aids. Kids are already educated on prevention, but behave
recklessly anyway.

Until the political situations are sorted, the problems with food will
continue to exist

that much is obvious. But like I said, Im not getting into a coup.

Sorry, but it's all down to political will

Do you really think that you're going to end up with a product which is
a) affordable

if anything goes ahead, it only does so if it were affordable. This
isnt difficult to work out.

So who will pay for it ?

and b) will get distributed to those who need it

I was looking at portable sterilisation for post distribution, not pre.

But that's not the problem

and c)
won't get used as a political weapon by those in power ?

The risk of that is acceptably low with a portable steriliser.

How does irradiated beefburgers help the millions dying of AIDs?
What about
the millions displaced by war? Diseases spread by parasites and sewage and
floods? Does irradiated food help them?

No, it only helps people to get to eat.

You've never lived in a "third world" country have you

I'm talking about a country that is not at war, has not been at war for
some time, and does not suffer floods. You seem to be thinking of
something else.

So where in africa are you thinking of where the above is not
applicable?

Food shortage is one of the biggest problems, one of many of course.
Plenty die from lack of food there. Most people have to work more than
full time there just to eat.

But we're talking about staple foods like maize and rice - what good is
irradiation going to do ?

no we're not, or I'm not. Its primarily meat that needs irradiating.

Maybe you need to do some reading.

Maybe you need to get out there and discover the real problems.

Already have someone whos done that. I think the problem is youre
thinking about the messier countries like the congo, and Im talking
about the more stable ones.

I'm talking in general

Believe me, people can survive if given the opportunity

You seem to be missing what is obvious to me

--
geoff

Don Klipstein

In article , Pooh Bear wrote:
wrote:

It may not sound like a serious question, but it is.

Can one sterilise food using a beta emitter? I assume alpha would not
have the necessary penetrating power. Where could one get such beta
emitter, if anywhere?

Or might xrays be better?

The application is to extend food storage times in 3rd world countries,
and reduce bacterial contamination.

If its workable to put an emitter in a box with a lead or conrete lid,
with attached tongs to enable food to slde in and out without getting
fingers in there, it might possibly be a way to sterilise food with no
run cost and no energy use.

However... the probable showstoppers a
how much beta emission would be needed?
where can it be got from, if anywhere?
is the output level low enough to make it handleable in this way?

I think the answer is no to all of those, but worth asking

X rays are certainly more available, but a 25-50kV driver to power it
is not ideal. Could this be an option? A TV could produce +&- 24kV for
the job, not sure what sort of tube to go for though.

Just read this one.

Food irradiation has been used before. I recall horror stories about
'nearly off' prawns that would otherwise have been rejected being
irradiated and then sold.

It killed the bacteria but left the toxins aleady there.

Cobalt 90 was used ( whatever that gives off ) and it needed plenty of lead
screening !

Most bacteria don't produce toxins, and food-spoiling toxin-producing
bacteria make food obviously spoiled or at least "off" when there are
enough toxins to make the food inedible.

Cooking also does not destroy at least many toxins produced by bacteria.
Otherwise spoiled food would always be made safe by cooking it.

- Don Klipstein )

raden wrote:
writes
Jason Judge wrote:

You are talking of a massive population

no, I wasnt.

So who are you trying to help then ?

a select few ?

Im not taking on a whole continent! Or planning a coup!

But you can.

That's the reality of the situation

its simply what youre looking at. There are many ways to tackle
problems.

2. use high reliability high tech so it wont need repair

optimistic

high reliabilty tech is well established in the west, and is sometimes
practical. A radioactive source is normally long term reliable for
example.

There is enough food to feed them, what is lacking is the political will
to do so

If you want to get into fighting with governments, go for it. Im not
interested.

sure its politically caused, but with respect Im not planning a coup
d'etat.

T'would be a better way of spending money

I was looking to see what could be done within the system, not
to change the system. I'll leave the mass invasion to you.

See above

Not very sensible answers, given that I'm not a general.

Also infections from food to a lseser extent.

And inf4ections from AIDS to a larger extent

yep, been looking a bit at that too. Tough nut to crack though. Theres
no cure for aids. Kids are already educated on prevention, but behave
recklessly anyway.

since you suggested it, I imagined you thought there was a solution to
offer.

Until the political situations are sorted, the problems with food will
continue to exist

that much is obvious. But like I said, Im not getting into a coup.

Sorry, but it's all down to political will

your solution is, yes. I'm still not interested in it!

Do you really think that you're going to end up with a product which is
a) affordable

if anything goes ahead, it only does so if it were affordable. This
isnt difficult to work out.

So who will pay for it ?

funding is already addressed.

and b) will get distributed to those who need it

I was looking at portable sterilisation for post distribution, not pre.

But that's not the problem

it is a problem.

Sorry to disappoint you by not offering to get into mililtary action,
overthrow all African governments and establish benign dictatorship,
establish political education then after a few years, grow democracies.
What can I say, I'll leave that to you and your troops.

I'm talking about a country that is not at war, has not been at war for
some time, and does not suffer floods. You seem to be thinking of
something else.

So where in africa are you thinking of where the above is not
applicable?

place in South Africa

Maybe you need to do some reading.

Maybe you need to get out there and discover the real problems.

Already have someone whos done that. I think the problem is youre
thinking about the messier countries like the congo, and Im talking
about the more stable ones.

I'm talking in general

youre simply talking about something else. Places like Congo are not
like SA etc, one can not generalise for them all.

You seem to be missing what is obvious to me

you seem to me to be talking about something Im simply not interested
in getting involved in. Lead your own coup if you wish, try the futile
exercise of reasoning with them if you wish, try to coerce them if you
wish... its not for me, and its not reality.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.nuclear-device,sci.electronics.design
Vødkäjéllÿ

Default Nuclear device for the kitchen, yes really

raden wrote:
In message , John Larkin
writes
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:02:58 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Jim
Thompson writes
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:02:26 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Jim
Thompson writes
X rays are certainly more available, but a 25-50kV driver to
power it is not ideal. Could this be an option? A TV could
produce +&- 24kV for the job, not sure what sort of tube to go
for though. Thanks, NT

It's already being done here in the U.S., at least for military
meals. Seal in plastic, then irradiate.

I don't know what type of radiation is being used.

Of course it's being resisted for use in public consumption by
the loonie greenies, but it's certainly the correct answer for
food preservation AND stopping food-borne illness.

I sometimes think there should be a bounty offered for loonie
greenies, after all they ARE a terrorist group ;-)

Should fit in well with Eco-terrorists like G ****** Bush then

... and people who don't understand sig separators !

And to WHAT are you referring? ------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My sig separator seems to be working perfectly with other
responders. ...Jim Thompson
Clue ...

the name goes below it

Metaclue: you can do anything you want on usenet.

You can, but you can also get flamed for doing so

Or (to get back on topic) irradiated ;-)

--
Vj

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.nuclear-device,sci.electronics.design
Gully Foyle

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:53:29 GMT, "Vødkäjéllÿ"
wrote:

raden wrote:
In message , John Larkin
writes
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:02:58 GMT, raden wrote:

I'm sure this thread was interesting (well, perhaps not that sure) but
really, responding to an 8 month old post and crossposting to a new
newsgroup is a bit much innit?

--
The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vødkäjéllÿ

Default Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle wrote:
I'm sure this thread was interesting (well, perhaps not that sure) but
really, responding to an 8 month old post and crossposting to a new
newsgroup is a bit much innit?

The *new* news group must be as old as the replied to post as nothing was
changed, and was cancelled before you replied due to the inadvertant
crossposting.

No response is necessary.