raden

In message . com,
writes
Jason Judge wrote:
Africa is a continent with a meat-rich diet, very little in the way of
health and safety controls, almost no domestic fridges or freezers, and
a population desperate for food.

Which is different from other "third world" countries, how ?

They have survived for thousands of years, what's changed?

Only politics

Zimbabwe immediately springs to mins

On the other hand, how quickly does dried fruit in a dry
atmosphere go rotten enough to kill people?

That isnt whats going to get irradiated, because that isnt the problem.

IMO, you're ****ing in the wind

You are talking of a massive population

How many machines, and at what cost are you expecting to have to produce
?

You need to be looking at cheap, low tech solutions, not expensive
hi-tech ones - believe me, they just don't work. Look at how things work
historically.

What on earth did Africa do before? Were they really all getting ill from
their traditional diet?

dying, in massive numbers. Why? Primarily because there isnt enough
food.

That's to a large extent a political problem, water being the main
culprit

Also infections from food to a lseser extent.

And inf4ections from AIDS to a larger extent

At least today with modern foods and technologies things have greatly
improved. Today 0.8 billion out of 6 billion is in poverty, in 1930 it
was 2 billion out of 3 billion.

Could the problem actually be new foods that we are
selling to these countries, that turn out to be totally unsuitable for the
climate?

no, that has nothing to do with it

Yes it does, foods which are not the natural staple are being pushed on
indigenous populations who end up with the worst of both worlds

Are we trying to fix a problem that should not be there in the
first place?

What does should have to do with it? The question is what is. What is
is food shortage.

You have it wrong

Until the political situations are sorted, the problems with food will
continue to exist

Do you really think that you're going to end up with a product which is
a) affordable and b) will get distributed to those who need it and c)
won't get used as a political weapon by those in power ?

How does irradiated beefburgers help the millions dying of AIDs? What about
the millions displaced by war? Diseases spread by parasites and sewage and
floods? Does irradiated food help them?

No, it only helps people to get to eat.

You've never lived in a "third world" country have you

I think we really need to understand the real problems being faced around
the world.

obviously

I just wanted to inject some sanity, as I see it, here ;-)

Food shortage is one of the biggest problems, one of many of course.
Plenty die from lack of food there. Most people have to work more than
full time there just to eat.

But we're talking about staple foods like maize and rice - what good is
irradiation going to do ?

Maybe you need to do some reading.

Maybe you need to get out there and discover the real problems.

--
geoff