Rob Convery

Default Extending Chimney Breast - Plastering Question...

I have a small chimney breast in my new house - more a flue than chimney. It
is only 1 brick deep from the back wall, but unfortunatly its not in the
middle. As i am putting an LCD on it i want to make it look central to the
room. I am planning to extend it to one side by around 250mm using stud
work/plasterboards/plaster.
The question is do you build it such that on the outfacing wall the stud
work is flush with the current plaster or (as i think you would) do you
build it such that its ~3mm back from the current plaster line such that
when its plastered its much easer to jet a seamless join?

A pic of what I am looking to do is at
http://www.convery.me.uk/temp/ChimneyBreast.jpg (Red = addition)

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Rob Convery" writes:
I have a small chimney breast in my new house - more a flue than chimney. It
is only 1 brick deep from the back wall, but unfortunatly its not in the
middle. As i am putting an LCD on it i want to make it look central to the
room. I am planning to extend it to one side by around 250mm using stud
work/plasterboards/plaster.
The question is do you build it such that on the outfacing wall the stud
work is flush with the current plaster or (as i think you would) do you
build it such that its ~3mm back from the current plaster line such that
when its plastered its much easer to jet a seamless join?

I would build it flush and skim the whole front including the
existing area. If the existing area had been much bigger and
not in need of reskimming, then I might consider building it
recessed and only skimming the plasterboard.

--
Andrew Gabriel
John Rumm

Rob Convery wrote:

A pic of what I am looking to do is at
http://www.convery.me.uk/temp/ChimneyBreast.jpg (Red = addition)

The other option would be to use taper edge plasterboard and then scrim
and fill the joint. Once sanded flat you can get a supprisingly good finish.

--
Cheers,

John.

Lobster

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Rob Convery" writes:

I have a small chimney breast in my new house - more a flue than chimney. It
is only 1 brick deep from the back wall, but unfortunatly its not in the
middle. As i am putting an LCD on it i want to make it look central to the
room. I am planning to extend it to one side by around 250mm using stud
work/plasterboards/plaster.
The question is do you build it such that on the outfacing wall the stud
work is flush with the current plaster or (as i think you would) do you
build it such that its ~3mm back from the current plaster line such that
when its plastered its much easer to jet a seamless join?

I would build it flush and skim the whole front including the
existing area. If the existing area had been much bigger and
not in need of reskimming, then I might consider building it
recessed and only skimming the plasterboard.

I'd go along with that, too. But be warned that it's not ideal having a
stud partition abutting a brick structure like the chimney breast;
you'll probably find that over time it will crack along the junction due
to different movement/thermal properties of the different materials.
Might be an idea to dryline the whole of the front of the chimney breast
(ie clad it all in plasterboard and skim the whole thing, not just the
studwork) - I don't know how you plan to fit the TV, but this might be
advantageous for other reasons, eg concealing the connecting cables
behind the plasterboard.

David

Dave Baker

Rob Convery wrote in message
I have a small chimney breast in my new house - more a flue than chimney.

It
is only 1 brick deep from the back wall, but unfortunatly its not in the
middle. As i am putting an LCD on it i want to make it look central to the
room. I am planning to extend it to one side by around 250mm using stud
work/plasterboards/plaster.
The question is do you build it such that on the outfacing wall the stud
work is flush with the current plaster or (as i think you would) do you
build it such that its ~3mm back from the current plaster line such that
when its plastered its much easer to jet a seamless join?

A pic of what I am looking to do is at
http://www.convery.me.uk/temp/ChimneyBreast.jpg (Red = addition)

I'd hack off the existing plaster, screw a single length of vertical
studding to the wall the same depth as the brick where you want the new end
to be and just glue/nail a sheet of plasterboard over the lot. If you try
and build right up to the existing brickwork with wood and plaster over the
join it'll eventually crack if you use the fire. The plasterboard should
stop this happening and there's no need for studwork to fill the small gap
(maybe 200mm) between the bricks and the new end. You can then plaster the
two opposing faces of the brick and wood on each side to blend in with the
plasterboard. It might be an idea to have the plasterboard overlapping the
brick/wood ends by a few mm so you can apply plaster into the resulting gap
and have a couple of nice straight edges to work to.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)