Dave Baker

Rob Convery wrote in message
I have a small chimney breast in my new house - more a flue than chimney.

It
is only 1 brick deep from the back wall, but unfortunatly its not in the
middle. As i am putting an LCD on it i want to make it look central to the
room. I am planning to extend it to one side by around 250mm using stud
work/plasterboards/plaster.
The question is do you build it such that on the outfacing wall the stud
work is flush with the current plaster or (as i think you would) do you
build it such that its ~3mm back from the current plaster line such that
when its plastered its much easer to jet a seamless join?

A pic of what I am looking to do is at
http://www.convery.me.uk/temp/ChimneyBreast.jpg (Red = addition)

I'd hack off the existing plaster, screw a single length of vertical
studding to the wall the same depth as the brick where you want the new end
to be and just glue/nail a sheet of plasterboard over the lot. If you try
and build right up to the existing brickwork with wood and plaster over the
join it'll eventually crack if you use the fire. The plasterboard should
stop this happening and there's no need for studwork to fill the small gap
(maybe 200mm) between the bricks and the new end. You can then plaster the
two opposing faces of the brick and wood on each side to blend in with the
plasterboard. It might be an idea to have the plasterboard overlapping the
brick/wood ends by a few mm so you can apply plaster into the resulting gap
and have a couple of nice straight edges to work to.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)