Lobster

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Rob Convery" writes:

I have a small chimney breast in my new house - more a flue than chimney. It
is only 1 brick deep from the back wall, but unfortunatly its not in the
middle. As i am putting an LCD on it i want to make it look central to the
room. I am planning to extend it to one side by around 250mm using stud
work/plasterboards/plaster.
The question is do you build it such that on the outfacing wall the stud
work is flush with the current plaster or (as i think you would) do you
build it such that its ~3mm back from the current plaster line such that
when its plastered its much easer to jet a seamless join?

I would build it flush and skim the whole front including the
existing area. If the existing area had been much bigger and
not in need of reskimming, then I might consider building it
recessed and only skimming the plasterboard.

I'd go along with that, too. But be warned that it's not ideal having a
stud partition abutting a brick structure like the chimney breast;
you'll probably find that over time it will crack along the junction due
to different movement/thermal properties of the different materials.
Might be an idea to dryline the whole of the front of the chimney breast
(ie clad it all in plasterboard and skim the whole thing, not just the
studwork) - I don't know how you plan to fit the TV, but this might be
advantageous for other reasons, eg concealing the connecting cables
behind the plasterboard.

David