Brian Watson

Default Interesting fence verticals

I'd like to put up a fence with tops on the vertical members that are more
interesting than simple triangular peaks or semicircles. Something like the
pelmets round an old fashioned station's platform canopy, but inverted of
course to make the fence, is what I have in mind.

Apart from looking for such at a reclaimed materials yard, does anyone make
this sort of thing commercially now?

--
Brian
"This isn't the longest day of the year: it just feels like it"

BigWallop

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
I'd like to put up a fence with tops on the vertical members that are more
interesting than simple triangular peaks or semicircles. Something like

the
pelmets round an old fashioned station's platform canopy, but inverted of
course to make the fence, is what I have in mind.

Apart from looking for such at a reclaimed materials yard, does anyone

make
this sort of thing commercially now?

--
Brian
"This isn't the longest day of the year: it just feels like it"

A search for, Fretwork, on the web will show you plenty Brian.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Brian Watson

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
I'd like to put up a fence with tops on the vertical members that are

more
interesting than simple triangular peaks or semicircles. Something like

the
pelmets round an old fashioned station's platform canopy, but inverted

of
course to make the fence, is what I have in mind.

Apart from looking for such at a reclaimed materials yard, does anyone

make
this sort of thing commercially now?

A search for, Fretwork, on the web will show you plenty Brian.

Thanks. That's certainly the word I was struggling for, but none of the
sites seem to offer fence panels (unless they've been carved into something
else, that is).

I do hope I'm not going to have to do an evening class and buy the saw to
cut my own?

:-\

--
Brian
"This isn't the longest day of the year: it just feels like it"

BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in message

[...]

I see another Christmas list starting. :-))

Chippy

"Brian Watson" wrote in message ...
I'd like to put up a fence with tops on the vertical members that are more
interesting than simple triangular peaks or semicircles. Something like the
pelmets round an old fashioned station's platform canopy, but inverted of
course to make the fence, is what I have in mind.

I think that you should remember that the fancy valences on railway
platform canopies served a purpose, as well as being decorative. They
were designed to encourage rainwater to run off to the tips, avoiding
rot.

It may be that such a design, inverted and used for a fence, tends
towards the opposite, and is prone to rot.

Brian Watson

"Chippy" wrote in message
om...

I think that you should remember that the fancy valences on railway
platform canopies served a purpose, as well as being decorative. They
were designed to encourage rainwater to run off to the tips, avoiding
rot.

It may be that such a design, inverted and used for a fence, tends
towards the opposite, and is prone to rot.

I was thinking that something sort of finial-shaped at the top would not
make an appreciable difference to shedding water either way, but might even
be a little better than a rounded top or 45 degree-ish triangular tops.

I have seen a hole cut through the head of some old fencing and that IS
asking for trouble, IMO.

--
Brian
"posting from Sutton, winner of The English And Welsh Village Of The Year