Brian Watson

Default Interesting fence verticals

"Chippy" wrote in message
om...

I think that you should remember that the fancy valences on railway
platform canopies served a purpose, as well as being decorative. They
were designed to encourage rainwater to run off to the tips, avoiding
rot.

It may be that such a design, inverted and used for a fence, tends
towards the opposite, and is prone to rot.

I was thinking that something sort of finial-shaped at the top would not
make an appreciable difference to shedding water either way, but might even
be a little better than a rounded top or 45 degree-ish triangular tops.

I have seen a hole cut through the head of some old fencing and that IS
asking for trouble, IMO.

--
Brian
"posting from Sutton, winner of The English And Welsh Village Of The Year