Default chrome plated plastic

Does anyone hate chrome plated plastic as found on plugholes etc ?
Replacing a sink etc, I want metal parts like the one I take out.
How can you detect this before you buy ?
I think it stinks.

Simon.

Junior Member

I agree it sinks!!
OG

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone hate chrome plated plastic as found on plugholes etc ?
Replacing a sink etc, I want metal parts like the one I take out.
How can you detect this before you buy ?

Magnet?

or would that be too obvious ?
TBH, I just wanted a rant about it. I have an old (probably quite new
!) kitchen sink
that will be replaced, but the foil is coming away from the plastic.
The foil
looks like it has split. You catch your hand on it when cleaning the
sink. Ouch.
Simon.

Good idea. Takes me back to testing second hand cars with a magnet
in a cloth, to see if the wing was made entirely of papier mache.
Simon.

Aidan

The plated metal is usually brass or bronze, neither of which are
magnetic, unlike car wings.
Well, some bits of car wings.

Unless you are purchasing a second-hand McLaren F1 !

I wonder if some type of metal-stud-finder would do the trick.
Or wander round the bathroom section of B&Q with your metal
detector and headphones on.
I tried tapping the plugholes, but they sound the same to me.
Simon.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article .com, Aidan
wrote:

The plated metal is usually brass or bronze, neither of which are
magnetic, unlike car wings.
Well, some bits of car wings.

But none of mine. :-)

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article .com, Aidan
wrote:

The plated metal is usually brass or bronze, neither of which are
magnetic, unlike car wings.
Well, some bits of car wings.

But none of mine. :-)

Reliant Robin!

Andrew

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article .com,
wrote:

Reliant Robin!

Bond Bug (in restoration) and SS1 (3 of)

Living in an MDF universe Paul Hays Woodworking 19 April 11th 05 12:41 PM
Copper & Plastic plumbing - freely mixing and matching? Frank Stacey UK diy 182 November 10th 04 11:55 PM
chrome plated pipe clips Smokeyone UK diy 5 September 30th 04 06:56 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM