DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   chrome plated plastic (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/109870-chrome-plated-plastic.html)

[email protected] June 13th 05 05:53 PM

chrome plated plastic

Does anyone hate chrome plated plastic as found on plugholes etc ?
Replacing a sink etc, I want metal parts like the one I take out.
How can you detect this before you buy ?
I think it stinks.

Simon.

Owain June 13th 05 06:23 PM

wrote:
Does anyone hate chrome plated plastic as found on plugholes etc ?
Replacing a sink etc, I want metal parts like the one I take out.
How can you detect this before you buy ?

1) Weight
2) Price

Might it be possible to re-use the old plughole?

Owain

raden June 13th 05 09:54 PM

In message . com,
writes
Does anyone hate chrome plated plastic as found on plugholes etc ?
Replacing a sink etc, I want metal parts like the one I take out.
How can you detect this before you buy ?
I think it stinks.

Blowtorch, angle grinder anything like that

TBH - why don't you just ask the vendor

or would that be too obvious ?

--
geoff

Cameron June 13th 05 11:42 PM

I agree it sinks!!

OG June 14th 05 12:55 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone hate chrome plated plastic as found on plugholes etc ?
Replacing a sink etc, I want metal parts like the one I take out.
How can you detect this before you buy ?

Magnet?

[email protected] June 14th 05 09:55 AM

or would that be too obvious ?
TBH, I just wanted a rant about it. I have an old (probably quite new
!) kitchen sink
that will be replaced, but the foil is coming away from the plastic.
The foil
looks like it has split. You catch your hand on it when cleaning the
sink. Ouch.
Simon.

[email protected] June 14th 05 09:57 AM

Good idea. Takes me back to testing second hand cars with a magnet
in a cloth, to see if the wing was made entirely of papier mache.
Simon.

Aidan June 14th 05 11:16 AM

The plated metal is usually brass or bronze, neither of which are
magnetic, unlike car wings.
Well, some bits of car wings.

[email protected] June 14th 05 11:40 AM

Unless you are purchasing a second-hand McLaren F1 !

I wonder if some type of metal-stud-finder would do the trick.
Or wander round the bathroom section of B&Q with your metal
detector and headphones on.
I tried tapping the plugholes, but they sound the same to me.
Simon.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) June 14th 05 12:48 PM

In article .com, Aidan
wrote:

The plated metal is usually brass or bronze, neither of which are
magnetic, unlike car wings.
Well, some bits of car wings.

But none of mine. :-)

Ian Stirling June 14th 05 04:30 PM

wrote:
Unless you are purchasing a second-hand McLaren F1 !

I wonder if some type of metal-stud-finder would do the trick.
Or wander round the bathroom section of B&Q with your metal
detector and headphones on.

A good metal detector probably will, if properly set (which is going to be fun).
There is metal there, in a continuous sheet, which will probably make the stud
finder go off regardless.

[email protected] June 14th 05 04:44 PM

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article .com, Aidan
wrote:

The plated metal is usually brass or bronze, neither of which are
magnetic, unlike car wings.
Well, some bits of car wings.

But none of mine. :-)

Reliant Robin!

Andrew

Owain June 14th 05 06:47 PM

wrote:
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
The plated metal is usually brass or bronze, neither of which are
magnetic, unlike car wings.
Well, some bits of car wings.

But none of mine. :-)

Reliant Robin!

I guess Land-Rover of a certain age.

Owain

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) June 15th 05 09:47 AM

In article .com,
wrote:

Reliant Robin!

Bond Bug (in restoration) and SS1 (3 of)