Default Portable Air Conditioners

I need to buy a portable a/c and wondered where the best place might be
to go at the moment. Costco had what looked to be quite a good one
unfortunately it was too big for my needs, can't be over 30in high.
I know I could google but I am looking for a recommendation.

Kevin

John Rumm

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article . com,
writes:

I need to buy a portable a/c and wondered where the best place might be
to go at the moment. Costco had what looked to be quite a good one
unfortunately it was too big for my needs, can't be over 30in high.
I know I could google but I am looking for a recommendation.

They don't work very well. Some of them can be made to work better
with the addition of more tubing, carboard and duct tape...

You can get mobile split unit systems as well that work much better (and
quieter).

For example:

http://www.global-cooling.com/produc...roducts_id=754

Just comes in under the 30" requirement as well! Not dealt with these
folks personally, but others on this group have and report a positive
outcome.

--
Cheers,

John.

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

(imo, avoid buying an 'Evaporative cooler', which are often mis-sold
as air conditioners)

sponix

Yes, evaporative coolers do work, but nothing like as well as ac. They
are very cheap to make, very cheap to run, can knock 4-6C off a room,
but next to nothing in damp weather, need a bit of ventilation to avoid
causing damp, and can be made yourself from a fan + a wet towel. No
point paying for one.

NT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Yes, evaporative coolers do work, but nothing like as well as ac. They
are very cheap to make, very cheap to run, can knock 4-6C off a room,
but next to nothing in damp weather, need a bit of ventilation to avoid
causing damp, and can be made yourself from a fan + a wet towel. No
point paying for one.

We have some large ones at work - they wheel them from set to set.
Somewhat larger than a free standing gas cooker.

They work ok, but of course the vent pipe needs to go to the outside.
Which is always too far away. So they cool the bit of set in use and roast
everyone else. ;-)

They do seem reliable though. Other parts of the building with 'proper' AC
as individual two part devices seem to have them not working as often as
working.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Alan

For example:

http://www.global-cooling.com/produc...roducts_id=754

Just comes in under the 30" requirement as well! Not dealt with these
folks personally, but others on this group have and report a positive
outcome.

I bought a split system from them recently, great next-day service, good
after-sales advice etc.

Alan.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:48:25 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

For example:

http://www.global-cooling.com/produc...roducts_id=754

Just comes in under the 30" requirement as well! Not dealt with these
folks personally, but others on this group have and report a positive
outcome.

I couldn't see from the web site....Do you know if the external unit
can be mounted at a higher level that the internal unit?

Many of these systems require the external unit to be at the same
height or lower than the internal unit.

Graham

John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

They work ok, but of course the vent pipe needs to go to the outside.
Which is always too far away. So they cool the bit of set in use and roast
everyone else. ;-)

They will still de-humidify in the process though... even if they are
raising the nett temperature of the building.

--
Cheers,

John.