Default Pumped Thermostatic Mixer Shower Plumbing Part 2

Hello All

Been looking at my HW Cylinder in prep for installing a Thermostatic
Mixer Shower and at the top I have a feed which has a stop cock
attached that goes to nothing. If I open the stopcock water flows.
Could I use this output as opposed to fitting an essex flange (What a
funny name that is)
The feed is basically split into 3, 1 pipe goes to the cold water tank
and sits above it, I think this is an expansion pipe? and the other
goes to the hot water taps, the third to the stopcock as explained.
Should I stick to plan A and install the flange. I'm thinking here that
if someone turns on a hot water tap during a shower this could
interfere with the flow into the shower. That said I would be buying a
twin impeller pump so would this negate the effects of this?

TIA

Richard

Aidan

The other possible problem is that the hot water outlet usually
contains small air bubbles, which usually go up the open vent pipe or
out of the HWS taps. The air is dissolved in the cold water and are
released when the water is heated. Connecting the pump to the HWS
outlet pipe might allow these bubbles to accumulate in the low level
pump & cause an airlock.

I'm fairly sure that your proposal wouldn't comply with the pump
maker's installation instructions and could invalidate the guarantee.
You can usually get the instructions off the web sites. I'd plan on
fitting an Essex/Surrey/Warix flange.

Ian_m

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...
The other possible problem is that the hot water outlet usually
contains small air bubbles, which usually go up the open vent pipe or
out of the HWS taps. The air is dissolved in the cold water and are
released when the water is heated. Connecting the pump to the HWS
outlet pipe might allow these bubbles to accumulate in the low level
pump & cause an airlock.

I'm fairly sure that your proposal wouldn't comply with the pump
maker's installation instructions and could invalidate the guarantee.
You can usually get the instructions off the web sites. I'd plan on
fitting an Essex/Surrey/Warix flange.

I think I said "do it as per the instructions and its fine". I have
encountered all type of "other" pumped installation, all done to save
effort, but all had to be undone as they produced "crap" showers. Why buy a
£200-£300 Techflow pump, decent mixer valve £200-£300 + all the other
required shower fittings and then balls it all up in incorrect plumbing.

You certainly did, just double checking seeing as I already have pipe
work I can tap off from. I will fit the flange......

Cheers

Richard

help fitting thermostatic mixer tap Riz1 UK diy 7 January 12th 05 11:40 PM
Shower too hot - thermostatic mixer warwick UK diy 2 September 26th 04 11:49 AM
Plumbing problem: toilet won't fill and shower pressure low. Stoic Home Repair 3 May 25th 04 01:35 AM
More mixer shower woes BillV UK diy 4 May 14th 04 09:18 PM
Shower pump, whole bathroom? Simon Avery UK diy 13 November 25th 03 10:09 AM