Stuart

Default Router To Trim Worktop

I am fitting the second of two lengths of 40mm worktop and shortened
it using a circular to give me a workable length . The cut was neat
enough but has slight chipping . The first piece was fitted by a
kitchen fitter as it involved a 45 degree joint and a sink cutout .
This piece is just two straight cuts so i was thinking of hiring a
1/2" router for a day at £17 from www.hss.com I'm not sure if they
supply a cutter for that price.
Not having handled a router before I'm not even sure how they work .
For a straight cut do you use a batten to guide the router or how does
it work .I seem to recall reading something about watching what way
the cutter rotates in relation to the rounded edge of the worktop.

A simple explanation would be appreciated .
thx
Stuart .

Shift THELEVER to reply.
BigWallop

"Stuart" wrote in message
I am fitting the second of two lengths of 40mm worktop and shortened
it using a circular to give me a workable length . The cut was neat
enough but has slight chipping . The first piece was fitted by a
kitchen fitter as it involved a 45 degree joint and a sink cutout .
This piece is just two straight cuts so i was thinking of hiring a
1/2" router for a day at £17 from www.hss.com I'm not sure if they
supply a cutter for that price.
Not having handled a router before I'm not even sure how they work .
For a straight cut do you use a batten to guide the router or how does
it work .I seem to recall reading something about watching what way
the cutter rotates in relation to the rounded edge of the worktop.

A simple explanation would be appreciated .
thx
Stuart .

Is this the type of thing you're needing:

http://www.topgun.co.uk/template_gun...oducts_id/1325

http://www.almostimpartialguide.co.u...y_worktops.htm

Captain Qwerty

"Stuart" wrote in message
I am fitting the second of two lengths of 40mm worktop and shortened
it using a circular to give me a workable length . The cut was neat
enough but has slight chipping . The first piece was fitted by a
kitchen fitter as it involved a 45 degree joint and a sink cutout .
This piece is just two straight cuts so i was thinking of hiring a
1/2" router for a day at £17 from www.hss.com I'm not sure if they
supply a cutter for that price.
Not having handled a router before I'm not even sure how they work .
For a straight cut do you use a batten to guide the router or how does
it work .I seem to recall reading something about watching what way
the cutter rotates in relation to the rounded edge of the worktop.

A simple explanation would be appreciated .
thx
Stuart .

Shift THELEVER to reply.

A simpler way of cutting worktops to length would be to use your circular
saw - only turn the worktop over and cut from the underside - this will stop
the surface laminate from chipping, and save the expense of hiring extra
gear... Make sure the saw blade is in good nick too!

Thats how i'd do it anyway!

Arnold

"Stuart" wrote in message
I am fitting the second of two lengths of 40mm worktop and shortened
it using a circular to give me a workable length . The cut was neat
enough but has slight chipping . The first piece was fitted by a
kitchen fitter as it involved a 45 degree joint and a sink cutout .
This piece is just two straight cuts so i was thinking of hiring a
1/2" router for a day at £17 from www.hss.com I'm not sure if they
supply a cutter for that price.
Not having handled a router before I'm not even sure how they work .
For a straight cut do you use a batten to guide the router or how does
it work .I seem to recall reading something about watching what way
the cutter rotates in relation to the rounded edge of the worktop.

A simple explanation would be appreciated .
thx
Stuart .

Shift THELEVER to reply.

I did something similar recently. I hired the router (1/2") but had to buy
the bit (another £20? from memory). Like you, never done it before so
experimented on the end of the worktop (had about 12" to spare) and worked
it out from there. I've now got a breakfast bar with a perfect radius on the
corner and a perfect corner joint, sink and hob cut out.

Just work out how your going to cut, ie. direction and measure eveything
very carefully. Also don't 'plunge' the router, use it to trim sawn edges
and you should end up with a perfect job.

Based on my limited experience with laminate tops I'd do it again if I was
watching cost.

Stuart

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:58:23 +0100, "Captain Qwerty"
wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I tried what you suggested on a spare piece and used masking tape as
well and it worked just fine .
thx for that tip
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Stuart

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:55:55 +0100, "Arnold"
wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thx for that message . I did what someone else suggested using my circ
saw on the underside and it worked fine .As it is just two straight
cuts that way should do .Curves are another matter tho':-)

Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
tony sayer

Thx for that message . I did what someone else suggested using my circ
saw on the underside and it worked fine .As it is just two straight
cuts that way should do .Curves are another matter tho':-)

Stuart

What U want is a router and a worktop jig, now this does make a pro job
of it all
--
Tony Sayer

1/2" router for a day at =A317 from www.hss.com I'm not sure if they
supply a cutter for that price.
Not having handled a router before I'm not even sure how they work

..
For a straight cut do you use a batten to guide the router or how

does
it work .I seem to recall reading something about watching what

way
the cutter rotates in relation to the rounded edge of the worktop.

A simple explanation would be appreciated .
thx
Stuart .

Is this the type of thing you're needing:

http://www.topgun.co.uk/template_gun...oducts_id/1325

No, not for two *straight* cuts.

MBQ

The Natural Philosopher

Stuart wrote:

I am fitting the second of two lengths of 40mm worktop and shortened
it using a circular to give me a workable length . The cut was neat
enough but has slight chipping . The first piece was fitted by a
kitchen fitter as it involved a 45 degree joint and a sink cutout .
This piece is just two straight cuts so i was thinking of hiring a
1/2" router for a day at £17 from www.hss.com I'm not sure if they
supply a cutter for that price.
Not having handled a router before I'm not even sure how they work .
For a straight cut do you use a batten to guide the router or how does
it work .I seem to recall reading something about watching what way
the cutter rotates in relation to the rounded edge of the worktop.

A simple explanation would be appreciated .
thx
Stuart .

Always cut so the router bit edge is moving toward the uncut wood.

Clamp a batten for a guide.

Support the other side of the router with some scrap worktop for the
full length of the cut.

Rough cut 3mm oversize with circular, then use router to 'plane' the edge.

A BIG router with a long bit is needed.

Practice on scrap first. Big routers need a firm hand.

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Stuart

On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:13:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Stuart wrote:

[...]

I finished up taking someone elses advice and used my circular saw
with a batten as a guide ..the worktop being upside down .It gave an
excellent clean cut and I finished with the trim glued on the two ends
and it is as good as the other worktop a kitchen fitter did with a
router .
Thx to everyone for their help
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.