Homer2911

Default Homeserve insurance for drainage problems

Anyone have experience of claiming against Homeserve insurance in
respect of collapsed sewer/drains?. I'll explain why I'm asking later
- it'll be worth it!

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Homer2911" writes:
Anyone have experience of claiming against Homeserve insurance in
respect of collapsed sewer/drains?. I'll explain why I'm asking later
- it'll be worth it!

I don't know about Homeserve in particular, but generally, it depends
why the sewer collapsed. If it was just old age, then it's not likely
to be covered as it would come under general maintenance which insurance
doesn't cover (unless it was a special feature of that particular policy).
If there was some specific reason it got damaged such as a JCB bucket
hitting it, then it might be covered.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Homer2911

This is a specific policy covering drainage, and the fact of cover is
not the issue.

I would like to know of anyone with experience of claims against such a
policy with Homeserve

Oliver

go on tell us how it got damaged??

Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2911
Anyone have experience of claiming against Homeserve insurance in
respect of collapsed sewer/drains?. I'll explain why I'm asking later
- it'll be worth it!
Yes - Homeservice via Severn Trent Water (is this the same thing?). First claim (blocked rainwater drain) wasn't covered - fair enough. Second claim for fault with plumbing in cistern for loo. Emergency plumber came out within the hour & fixed (excellent). Third claim - nightmare. Leaking joint at base of cast iron soil pipe (underground - previously excavated to confirm leak/fractured joint). Inspection by Homeservice concluded I'd deliberately damaged it myself (why...?). In the end, wrote to the FOS who referred it to the underwriters of the policy (think it was Axa) who agreed there was no evidence I had damaged it deliberately & told Homeservice to deal with the claim. Had my own contractor do it - took Homeservice weeks to pay.