Alan Holmes

Default Sealant round bath?

The sealant around my bath is looking rather shabby!

Rather like me!(:-)

What should I use to clean the edge of the bath before
replacing the sealant?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Lobster

Alan Holmes wrote:

What should I use to clean the edge of the bath before
replacing the sealant?

Clean off as much as you can of the old sealant first using a Stanley
knife blade, then attack the remnants with 'silicone eater' or another
of the proprietary solvents for silicone:

When all clean, finish off by wiping with a clean meths-dampened rag to
remove any final traces of grease before applying new silicone.

David

Andrew McKay

Alan Holmes wrote:
The sealant around my bath is looking rather shabby!

Rather like me!(:-)

What should I use to clean the edge of the bath before
replacing the sealant?

Start with a sharp stanley knife. Cut thru the existing sealant. You may
be able to carefully pull off large chunks of the existing silicon
sealant. Remove as much sealant as possible by mechanical means.

Then buy some sealant eater - about a fiver for a small tube, more than
enough to do a bath. Apply this to the remaining sealant, then leave
according to the instructions (usually a couple of hours or so).

When you come back the sealant will have been "eaten", you can then
scrape the remains off. Re-apply the silicon eater if you have any
difficulty.

Then clean the area using methylated spirit - very important - it kills
the silicon eater!

Then apply new silicon sealant. Leave to cure. Job done.

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam

Andrew McKay wrote:

Then clean the area using methylated spirit - very important - it

kills
the silicon eater!

Then apply new silicon sealant. Leave to cure. Job done.

Andrew

Useful info! Where would I be able to get methylated spirit from?
Checked on screwfix and B&Q but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Al.

BigWallop

wrote in message
oups.com...

Andrew McKay wrote:

Then clean the area using methylated spirit - very important - it

kills
the silicon eater!

Then apply new silicon sealant. Leave to cure. Job done.

Andrew

Useful info! Where would I be able to get methylated spirit from?
Checked on screwfix and B&Q but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Al.

Bent & Queer (B&Q) have it in their Decorating Section, usually beside the
white spirit.

al

"BigWallop" wrote in message news:Xfkee.25445
Bent & Queer (B&Q) have it in their Decorating Section, usually beside the
white spirit.

Would white spirit do the job?

BigWallop

"al" wrote in message
. ..

"BigWallop" wrote in message news:Xfkee.25445
Bent & Queer (B&Q) have it in their Decorating Section, usually beside

the
white spirit.

Would white spirit do the job?

White Spirit is good at cutting greasy marks away, but it leaves residue
behind when it evaporates, so it isn't very good for "cleaning to the quick"
as they say. Metholated Spirit evaporates completely and is much better at
dissolving greasy marks away, so it is a better choice for making the
surfaces clear of any greasy spots which are a major cause of sealants not
adhering properly.

Mike

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message

Start with a sharp stanley knife. Cut thru the existing sealant. You may
be able to carefully pull off large chunks of the existing silicon
sealant. Remove as much sealant as possible by mechanical means.

Then buy some sealant eater - about a fiver for a small tube, more than
enough to do a bath. Apply this to the remaining sealant, then leave
according to the instructions (usually a couple of hours or so).

When you come back the sealant will have been "eaten", you can then
scrape the remains off. Re-apply the silicon eater if you have any
difficulty.

Then clean the area using methylated spirit - very important - it kills
the silicon eater!

Then apply new silicon sealant. Leave to cure. Job done.

Andrew

Useful info, thanks for the detailed description.

If I may ask, when applying the sealant, what is the best way to smooth the
sealant? I've been told a finger will do, but I always find this messy and
doesn't give a very good finish. Is there a tool or something that I could
use instead, and where would I get such a tool? Or is there some technique
to using a finger? :-)

TIA.

Mike

Andy Hall

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:20:47 +0100, "Mike"
wrote:

[...]

A very light touch and dip the finger in water to which has been added
a few drops of detergent first.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Chris Bacon

Mike wrote:
If I may ask, when applying the sealant, what is the best way to smooth the
sealant? I've been told a finger will do, but I always find this messy and
doesn't give a very good finish. Is there a tool or something that I could
use instead, and where would I get such a tool? Or is there some technique
to using a finger?

Use masking tape - run it along where you want the seal to
finish, both sides. Gun in sealant. Use a tool such as a
piece of softish plastic tube, sized to rest on the inner
edges of the masking tape, and run it along the tape to
produce a good finish. Don't use much too much sealant, or
you may get blobs forming on the tool which mar the finish.
Pull the tape off before the sealant skins, slightly away
from the finished surface. Do not touch the sealant until
it has set!
David Lang

Mike asked;

If I may ask, when applying the sealant, what is the best way to smooth
the
sealant? I've been told a finger will do, but I always find this messy
and
doesn't give a very good finish. Is there a tool or something that I
could
use instead, and where would I get such a tool?

There is! Vitrex Sealant Smoother http://tinyurl.com/cb59t

Dave

Lobster

David Lang wrote:
Mike asked;

If I may ask, when applying the sealant, what is the best way to smooth
the
sealant? I've been told a finger will do, but I always find this messy
and
doesn't give a very good finish. Is there a tool or something that I
could
use instead, and where would I get such a tool?

There is! Vitrex Sealant Smoother http://tinyurl.com/cb59t

There's also one available at B&Q: see bottom of the page at
http://www.plasplugs.com/finishing.html. This had rave reviews in
this ng a while ago and I bought one to try; haven't actually had
occasion to use it yet though.

David

Cracks round window frame: which sealant? [email protected] UK diy 2 January 27th 05 11:45 AM
Bath sealant Lawrie UK diy 4 February 25th 04 09:57 AM
Footings crossing boundary Rockydell UK diy 28 February 24th 04 07:19 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Plastic filler (grout) round bath? Alan Holmes UK diy 1 August 10th 03 02:10 PM