housemartin

Default Glueing t and g pine cladding vs nailing

I recently saw somone on a makeover show glueing t and g pine cladding
rather than nailing and wondered if any body has found this
successful(in the long term). It would certainly make life easier as i
have a lot to do in a bathroom,mainly paneling in the bath and around
toilet and vanity unit(which is tiled plywood).

Chris Bacon

housemartin wrote:
I recently saw somone on a makeover show glueing t and g pine cladding

It's called "matchboard", or "matching".

rather than nailing and wondered if any body has found this
successful(in the long term). It would certainly make life easier as i
have a lot to do in a bathroom,mainly paneling in the bath and around
toilet and vanity unit(which is tiled plywood).

If you glue the tongues into the grooves you will have horrendous
problems with the timber splitting.
AlexW

housemartin wrote:
I recently saw somone on a makeover show glueing t and g pine cladding
rather than nailing and wondered if any body has found this
successful(in the long term). It would certainly make life easier as i
have a lot to do in a bathroom,mainly paneling in the bath and around
toilet and vanity unit(which is tiled plywood).

I would not glue it as pine (even kiln dried) has a tendency to contract
in centrally heated houses. Nailing in the centre of the board width has
the advantage that any shrinkage/expansion is taken up in the t&g's.

Others may think different though...

FYI I have had some (unfinished!) pine contract a little in our
bathroom, I didn't expect this due to the humidity / condensation ...
strange but true.

Nailing doesn't take all that long once you get a rythym going ;-) my
shiplap garage (2.5m x 5m x 2m approx) only took a day or two!

HTH,

Alex.

Chris Bacon

AlexW wrote:

Nailing in the centre of the board width has
the advantage that any shrinkage/expansion is taken up in the t&g's.

You can secret-nail through the tongue at an angle, then you won't
see the heads of the pins.

Nailing doesn't take all that long once you get a rythym going ;-) my
shiplap garage (2.5m x 5m x 2m approx) only took a day or two!

A day or two?!?!?!!
AlexW

Chris Bacon wrote:
AlexW wrote:

Nailing in the centre of the board width has the advantage that any
shrinkage/expansion is taken up in the t&g's.

You can secret-nail through the tongue at an angle, then you won't
see the heads of the pins.

Good idea.

Nailing doesn't take all that long once you get a rythym going ;-) my
shiplap garage (2.5m x 5m x 2m approx) only took a day or two!

A day or two?!?!?!!

Including cuts around windows etc ... sheesh give us s break !

Stuart

On Wed, 04 May 2005 14:56:52 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

AlexW wrote:

Nailing in the centre of the board width has
the advantage that any shrinkage/expansion is taken up in the t&g's.

You can secret-nail through the tongue at an angle, then you won't
see the heads of the pins.

Nailing doesn't take all that long once you get a rythym going ;-) my
shiplap garage (2.5m x 5m x 2m approx) only took a day or two!

A day or two?!?!?!!

And you can also get clips that fit on the bottom part of the tongue
and you nail them to the supporting battens .They are then hidden by
the tongue of the next piece . usually the first and last piece have
to be nailed to the battens
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
The Natural Philosopher

AlexW wrote:

housemartin wrote:

I recently saw somone on a makeover show glueing t and g pine cladding
rather than nailing and wondered if any body has found this
successful(in the long term). It would certainly make life easier as i
have a lot to do in a bathroom,mainly paneling in the bath and around
toilet and vanity unit(which is tiled plywood).

I would not glue it as pine (even kiln dried) has a tendency to contract
in centrally heated houses. Nailing in the centre of the board width has
the advantage that any shrinkage/expansion is taken up in the t&g's.

Others may think different though...

FYI I have had some (unfinished!) pine contract a little in our
bathroom, I didn't expect this due to the humidity / condensation ...
strange but true.

I am getting up to 1mm movement summer to winter in the bathroom on T &
G pine.

Vile stuff.

SHE likes it though.

I covered it with so much paint it looks ALMOST as good as MDF...

Nailing doesn't take all that long once you get a rythym going ;-) my
shiplap garage (2.5m x 5m x 2m approx) only took a day or two!

HTH,

Alex.

David Lang

housemartin asked;

I recently saw somone on a makeover show glueing t and g pine cladding
rather than nailing and wondered if any body has found this
successful (in the long term).

I assume you mean glueing it to the wall and not together along the tongue &
grooves?

Something like No More Nails would do the trick.

Dave

White pine vs. Yellow pine PVR Woodworking 13 April 24th 05 05:19 PM
staining Pine Mook Johnson Woodworking 5 February 14th 05 06:26 PM
NEW ENGLAND PINE BLANKET CHEST J T Woodworking 4 January 8th 05 03:09 PM
Semi OT - Pine Firewood J T Woodworking 10 April 13th 04 01:19 PM
Best finish for T&G pine paneling? HerHusband Woodworking 5 February 16th 04 03:35 PM