DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DIY and the election (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/105163-diy-election.html)

raden May 5th 05 01:34 AM

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

6. He was shocked the other day when quite a lot of people told him
the NHS is no better than it was eight years ago, having recently
used the NHS I can say I have never previously been into such dirty
hospital in my life.

Having used it, and my family, over the past 5 years, I have have no
problems whatsoever, and the hospitals was clean. Nom lies.

Maybe mental hospitals are better

--
geoff

David Hearn May 5th 05 09:12 AM

Doctor Evil wrote:
"Jason Judge" wrote in message
.. .

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

I recall the last recession when there
were announcements of redundancies
each week - this has begun.

Only at Rover.

You are kidding, right? We don't count the 8000+ redundancies from

anciliary

services to Rover (people who will be getting no help from the

government),

Well Rover and the fallout. Which was no surprise.

Marconi,

They are always hiring and firing. Appalling place to work. No change there.

the last coal field in the North East,

About time too. Filthy stuff.

call centres dropping like flies...

The country really doesn't have an unemployment problem. What we have is a
skills mismatch and areas of high and low demand. There is always a natural
float. "Overall" the country does not have an unemployment problem.

"In the three months from December to February the government's
preferred ILO measure of unemployment rose by 29,000 to 1.43 million, a
rate of 4.8%."

"Manufacturing jobs hit a fresh record low of 3.23 million following the
loss of another 85,000 posts in the quarter to February, compared with a
year ago."

""Both unemployment measures have gone up suggesting perhaps the labour
market is weakening," said David Page at Investec."

"We look for full-year 2005 growth to slow to 2.5% with 2006 struggling
to hit 2.0%. Both of these are well below Treasury forecasts of 3.25%
and 2.75% respectively, which implies taxes are going to have to rise
whoever wins the election."

"UK High Street sales unexpectedly dropped 0.1% on the month, the Office
for National Statistics (ONS) said. Analysts had expected a rise of 0.4%."

"Meanwhile, the annual growth rate fell to 2.7% in the month, its lowest
level since August 2003, the ONS added. The Bank of England has
identified a slowdown in consumer spending as a key risk to the health
of the UK economy."

"On Tuesday, the ONS reported a greater-than-expected rise in the annual
rate of inflation to 1.9% in March - its highest level for nearly seven
years."

Doesn't sound all that perky to me.

David Hearn May 5th 05 09:15 AM

raden wrote:
In message , Doctor Evil
writes

- he is not bothered if we dont like
the fact that he lies to get his way,

Care to tel us what lies? Or is this another make up from you?

Well, it's documented that he was caught lying at school, google it if
you really want to know more

he claimed (hansard) that, as a teenager, he used to watch his football
hero from the touchline (I can't remember his name), the problem is that
he retired when TB was 4 years old.

He lied about not putting up taxes (NI is, a tax)

He lied about his reasons for invading Iraq

He completely misrepresented the intelligence given to him about Iraq's
military capabilities and he lied to cover up.

The real problem I have with him, the real clincher, is that in the face
of overwhelming evidence, he refuses to stand up and face the truth.

Luckily, dIMMs vote won't count either way

Don't forget the promise to students that they'd not impose tutition
fees, nor implement topup fees. Both of which they've done. I
understand he came very unstuck on that during Question Time last week.

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 09:23 AM

"David Hearn" wrote in message
raden wrote:
[...]

About the only thing they reneged on. Now students affect Mr Average don't
they. Graduates end up being amongst the top 20% of earners and to repay
they have to be working and afford the repayments. No bailiffs will come
marching in. Focuses the mind and prevents student taking the system for a
ride and dropping out. I know far too many that dropped out and would not
have if they had to re-pay. 40% of all school leavers end up in Higher
education. The Tories will cap uni places making it the preserve of the rich
again reinforcing class barriers.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 09:26 AM

"David Hearn" wrote in message

"In the three months from December to February the government's
preferred ILO measure of unemployment rose by 29,000 to 1.43 million, a
rate of 4.8%."

"Manufacturing jobs hit a fresh record

But the economy is strong enough to absorb them. Some may have to move to
where the work is. Nothing new.

Look at the big picture for God's sake. Look at 18 years of poverty and
deprivation.

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 09:58 AM

"John_ZIZinvalid" wrote in message

It means I can see what we Have now
and what we had for 18 years with the
amateurs.

Thankyou, you have just proved me
right, with your dismissive reply.

As you are somebody who bases there
opinions on history,

Very recent history. I also base it on results which are superb. I also base
it on what the parties stand for and uphold too.

- The strongest economy in the western world (9/11 made no difference to the
- UK economy, while most of the western world went into recession)
- The strongest currency in the world
- The longest sustained economic growth in history.
- All major services have high investment
- More school leavers into higher education than ever before
- Much needed constitutional change
- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education
- pre-scholl for 3 -5 year olds
etc
etc

Get your head out of your bum and look around. Anyone who doesn't vote
Labour needs professional attention.

you happily forget that Labour was no
better before the 18 year government of
Thatcher/Major.

Nonsense!!!!! Employment was fine, the economy was fine, etc, etc.
FACT!!!
Each time Labour has taken office it has inherited an economic mess!!!!!!
Each time Labour left office the economy was in good shape!!!!!

Yes, just look at some history, recent and not too recent.

The Tories are obsessed at keeping an privileged class intact. Their main
aim.

who I decide to vote for is
of non of your concern,

As you are unaware of the major issues and recent political history it is
best you look at the points I highlighted for you above. Just go out and
vote New Labour. To steal a Tory party propaganda slogan, but this time it
is reality, "You have never had it so good".

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 10:03 AM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 May 2005 10:08:14 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

I am going to vote for Tony Blair.

You're allowed?

We all must.

The economy is brilliant,

Watch what happens if TB & GB are re-elected.

We did for the past 8 years and the resulst are burillinat:

- The strongest economy in the western world (9/11 made no difference to the
- UK economy, while most of the western world went into recession)
- The strongest currency in the world
- The longest sustained economic growth in history.
- All major services have high investment
- More school leavers into higher education than ever before
- Much needed constitutional change
etc
etc

interest rates
are very low,

in terms of the world stage, no.

Stop making things up.

the pound the strongest currency in the world,

This is an advantage?

Proves the strength of the economy.

meaning we can
buy cheap power tools.

You might want to buy imported
products on price......

Children now have paid pre-school from 3 to 5. He
is tacking constitutional changes - most needed.

It isn't - purely a distraction.

It is needed BIG TIME!!!! Find out how the UK is run.

Everything on the up and
up.

Apart from the erstwhile administration

Is that wit?

Yes, I will vote for Tony.

There was a trainspotter type
on Radio 4 this evening just before the
6 o'clock talking about land tax.
Was it you by any chance?

I don't like trains.

David Hearn May 5th 05 10:59 AM

Doctor Evil wrote:
"John_ZIZinvalid" wrote in message

It means I can see what we Have now
and what we had for 18 years with the
amateurs.

Thankyou, you have just proved me
right, with your dismissive reply.

As you are somebody who bases there
opinions on history,

Very recent history. I also base it on results which are superb. I also base
it on what the parties stand for and uphold too.

- The strongest economy in the western world (9/11 made no difference to the
- UK economy, while most of the western world went into recession)
- The strongest currency in the world

Why is this good if our manufacturing is in decline? Our exports cost
too much compared to cheaper goods, so we end up screwing up our balance
of trade (more money leaving the country than comes in).

- The longest sustained economic growth in history.
- All major services have high investment
- More school leavers into higher education than ever before

Is this a good thing? Graduate employment continues to decline whilst
the salary at which students have to pay back their loans (which aren't
small) has reduced.

Previously when Labour came into power graduates had to earn 85% of the
national average (85% of £25k). If they earned £21.3k they could
defer for a year (and so on until their salary reached 85%). Now the
limit has dropped to just £15k (60% national average).

Consequently, even the low paid jobs (ie. non-graduate jobs) are enough
to require repayment of the loan.

A direct example is my wife - a nurse who will probably never have to
repay her student loan because her salary is so poor and will probably
continue to be poor. She's under the old (Tory) system. If she was
under the new Labour system, she'd be repaying £200 per month for her
loan, which is about 20% of her salary!

No wonder the number of nurses who after qualification stay with the NHS
is at an all time low. At least before Labour came along, retention was
higher (although fewer trained).

- Much needed constitutional change
- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

Higher Education isn't always the best thing for some people. We've a
dire need for more plumbers and other trades - however, we seem to be
encouraging everyone to get degrees etc - implying that manual trades
aren't worth anything. Plus - once people come out of Uni, they have
high debts, which means they cannot afford to become a low paid
apprentice in plumbing etc - whereas if they'd not done their degree
they may have been able to do that, spend those 3/4 years learning a
trade, and once qualified, earning very good money AND be debt free!

Tony Bryer May 5th 05 11:07 AM

In article , Doctor Evil wrote:
Now students affect Mr Average don't they. Graduates end up
being amongst the top 20% of earners and to repay
they have to be working and afford the repayments.

Graduates have ended up in this fortunate position because demand
equals or exceeds supply. If you increase the supply substantially
this is unlikely to remain true. Skilled tradesmen are more likely
to end up in the top 20% in the future - look at what T5
electricians earn.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Tony Bryer May 5th 05 11:07 AM

In article , Doctor Evil wrote:
- The strongest currency in the world

If you exclude the Australian dollar: it was more than 3 A$ to the
pound back in 2000-2001; now it's about 2.45. Back then Australians
were bemoaning the fact that one Aussie dollar had fallen so much that
it wouldn't buy 50c US: now it buys 78c.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

David Hearn May 5th 05 11:11 AM

raden wrote:

[...]

Erm two things - graduate employment has been falling. More and more
graduates are not being employed in graduate positions due to too many
graduates and not enough jobs. This means that graduates being top 20%
of earners may be the case now (ie. for those who graduated 20 years
ago) - but isn't likely to be the case for current graduates. Many
graduates are employed in non-graduate positions, and consequently have
non-graduate salaries. This isn't helped by the increase in
non-vocational/science/technology degrees.

Secondly - Labour have dramatically changed how the student loan system
works - resulting in those graduates who can only get into low paid jobs
still having to repay their loans (and unable to defer payment).

Previously when Labour came into power graduates had to earn 85% of the
national average (85% of £25k). If they earned £21.3k they could
defer for a year (and so on until their salary reached 85%). Now the
limit has dropped to just £15k (60% national average).

Consequently, even the low paid jobs (ie. non-graduate jobs) are enough
to require repayment of the loan. If you earn £7.69 per hour (37.5
per week), you have to repay your loan. Previously this was £10.90 per
hour.

John_ZIZinvalid May 5th 05 12:01 PM

On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:58:19 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

As you are somebody who bases there
opinions on history,

Very recent history. I also base it on results which are superb. I also base
it on what the parties stand for and uphold too.

- The strongest economy in the western world (9/11 made no difference to the
- UK economy, while most of the western world went into recession)

It did. Insurance premiums increased, British insurance companies also
insure in America, a few companies made redundancies to compensate for
the higher premiums. British manufacturing lost orders all over the
world shortly afterwards and have never recovered. Avaition companies
all made redundancies.

- The strongest currency in the world

British companies are finding it difficult to sell aboard due to the
high value of the pound when compared to other currencies. Therefore
no money coming back into country.

- The longest sustained economic growth in history.

What economic growth. Everbody is making redundancies. Nobody can
sell abroad due to the high value of the pound. Just because you
don't see it on the news does not mean to say it is not happening.

- All major services have high investment

Which means everybody is being taxed harder, therefore have less money
to live on. More civil servants than ever, all pushing paper
around a desk, and achieving nothing, hence the reason why they
are making 40,000 of them redundant.

- More school leavers into higher education than ever before

and on to the dole afterwards as nobody wants them, or they take
low payed jobs. Seen many graduate plumbers and builders lately.

Graduate debt is around £20K, which an awful lot before they start
to buy a house, and a typical morgage can be 7.5 time higher than the
average annual earnings, 20 years ago it was around 3.5 times.

- Much needed constitutional change

Four governments, European, Westminster, Scottish/Welsh and Local.
All cost money via taxes, and achieves nothing.

- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

No builders, plumbers, electricians, engineers, or semi skilled,
therefore various companies are getting migrants to do the work,
and we have nearly 2 million officially unemployed. How many are
not claiming Job Seekers allowance, I have no idea, but I bet
it will push the number of unemployed way above 2 million, and you
pay for that through your taxes.

- pre-scholl for 3 -5 year olds

Nothing new, they used called infant schooling.

Get your head out of your bum and look around. Anyone who doesn't vote
Labour needs professional attention.

you happily forget that Labour was no
better before the 18 year government of
Thatcher/Major.

Nonsense!!!!! Employment was fine, the economy was fine, etc, etc.
FACT!!!

Not a fact. Three day week, no electricity, oil prices were high and
companies closing all over the place due to this.

Each time Labour has taken office it has inherited an economic mess!!!!!!

An economic mess started under Wilson.

Each time Labour left office the economy was in good shape!!!!!

The ecomnomy has been in decline since the early 1960's.

Yes, just look at some history, recent and not too recent.

I have and everything has been in constant decline in the UK since
the early 1960's. We were the world leaders for engineering and
technology before, and now we don't build anything.

The Tories are obsessed at keeping an privileged class intact. Their main
aim.

Thats what all governments do.

who I decide to vote for is
of non of your concern,

As you are unaware of the major issues and recent political history it is
best you look at the points I highlighted for you above. Just go out and
vote New Labour. To steal a Tory party propaganda slogan, but this time it
is reality, "You have never had it so good".

Labour by name, but not by nature. The battles of the old Labour
movement have long since gone, so therefore Blair must a Tory, hence
the reason why people cannot tell the difference between what Blair
is saying and what Howard is saying.

Tony Bryer May 5th 05 12:15 PM

In article ,
John_ZIZinvalid wrote:
Nobody can sell abroad due to the high value of the pound.

"Nobody" ?

"THE number of cars produced for export reached record levels last
year according to official figures.

But with the number of vehicles made for the home market dipping more
than 9%, total UK car production in 2004 fell a fraction short of the
2003 total.

Cars made for export totalled 1,179,753 last year - 3.1% up on the
2003 figure, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said."

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ca...8_car_makers_h
it_export_record.html

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 12:21 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message

David Hearn wrote:

- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

Swam away from the other fishies I suppose ;-)

Higher Education isn't always the best
thing for some people. We've a
dire need for more plumbers and other
trades - however, we seem to be
encouraging everyone to get degrees etc -
implying that manual trades aren't worth anything.

Not only that, but you devalue higher education for all.

What tripe! People saying we should not have an educated population.
Countries with very high education standards always succeed: Japan, Germany,
etc.

John Rumm May 5th 05 12:24 PM

David Hearn wrote:

- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

Swam away from the other fishies I suppose ;-)

Higher Education isn't always the best thing for some people. We've a
dire need for more plumbers and other trades - however, we seem to be
encouraging everyone to get degrees etc - implying that manual trades
aren't worth anything.

Not only that, but you devalue higher education for all.

Simple bell curve stats will tell you that if you are now going to
coerce 40% of "school leavers" into academic HE, then you have some
fundamental incompatibilities to deal with. You either devalue the
qualification to make it easier, or create countless places for
questionable degrees like "media studies". The alternative is, you just
frustrate a good proportion of the entrants who have neither the
aptitude (and more importantly, the attitude) required to benefit from HE.

There was a time that when you recruited a new graduate then you knew
you were choosing from the brightest 5% of the population, and that even
though a candidate may lack experience, they will at least have a high
level of basic learning, and more importantly, know how to acquire
further knowledge and skills quickly. You could also take it for granted
they would have reasonably advanced literacy skills.

This NL obsession with getting unsuited people into HE, benefits neither
them, the HE institutions, or prospective employers. The only "winners"
are the people who like to parrot meaningless stats without the mental
capacity to understand the implications of the numbers they seek to
champion - "Media Studies" graduates no doubt.

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] May 5th 05 12:56 PM

Doctor Evil wrote:
[...]

And Labour ministers will continue to send their children to private
schools whilst condemning the rest of us to sink schools in the state
sector having abolished the assisted places scheme, all but abolished
Grammar schools and dumbed down the education that's available in the
rest of them.

The day when Labour practice what they preach is the day I might just
take them seriously.

MBQ

John Rumm May 5th 05 01:18 PM

Tony Bryer wrote:

If you exclude the Australian dollar: it was more than 3 A$ to the

Might as well exclude the Cyprus Pound, the Barain Dinar, the Kuwait
Dinar, the Malta Liri, and the Omani Rial as well, since all of these
are worth *more* than a pound...

--
Cheers,

John.

Tony Bryer May 5th 05 01:35 PM

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Might as well exclude the Cyprus Pound, the Barain Dinar, the Kuwait
Dinar, the Malta Liri, and the Omani Rial as well, since all of
these are worth *more* than a pound...

WADR you missed the point: in the last 3-4 years the A$ has
strengthened by about 20% v. sterling and nearer 50% v. US$, thus
making the claim that we have the strongest currency in the world
somewhat doubtful at best.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

John_ZIZinvalid May 5th 05 01:36 PM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 12:15:10 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

Nobody can sell abroad due to the high value of the pound.

"Nobody" ?

"THE number of cars produced for export reached record levels last
year according to official figures.

But with the number of vehicles made for the home market dipping more
than 9%, total UK car production in 2004 fell a fraction short of the
2003 total.

Cars made for export totalled 1,179,753 last year - 3.1% up on the
2003 figure, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said."

Hmm. So why is Ford, Jaguar, and Peugeot all making redundancies, and
not to forget the suppliers.

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 01:43 PM

"John_ZIZinvalid" wrote in message

- The strongest economy in the western
world (9/11 made no difference to the
- UK economy, while most of the western
world went into recession)

It did.

IT DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- The strongest currency in the world

British companies are finding it
difficult to sell aboard due to the
high value of the pound when compared
to other currencies.

Then they get their product quality better. That is what the Germans did
when the mark was supreme.

- The longest sustained economic growth in history.

What economic growth.

snip misinformed babble

- All major services have high investment

Which means everybody is being
taxed harder,

Least taxed country in the EU. Stop making things up.

- More school leavers into higher

education than ever before

and on to the dole

snip misinformed babble

- Much needed constitutional change

Four governments, European,
Westminster, Scottish/Welsh and Local.
All cost money via taxes, and achieves nothing.

Blair;air introduced constitutional change.

- 40% of school leavers into higher education

No builders, plumbers,
electricians, engineers,

So, this one thinks we should not have a highly educated population. What
to be a plumber? Enough course around for you.

- pre-scholl for 3 -5 year olds

Nothing new, they used called infant schooling.

Nonsense!!!

Get your head out of your bum
and look around. Anyone who doesn't vote
Labour needs professional attention.

you happily forget that Labour was no
better before the 18 year government of
Thatcher/Major.

Nonsense!!!!! Employment was fine,
the economy was fine, etc, etc. FACT!!!

Not a fact.

Yes FACT!!!!!

Three day week,

For 5 years? Get real!! Get your head out of your bum.

no electricity,

That was in 1973.

oil prices were high and
companies closing all over
the place due to this.

1973.

Each time Labour has taken office it
has inherited an economic mess!!!!!!

An economic mess started under Wilson.

Nonsense!!!! he put it right by getting rid of ridiculous military
spending. Wilson advanced higher education. Only for him we would be like
Portugal.

Each time Labour left office
the economy was in good shape!!!!!

The ecomnomy has been in decline
since the early 1960's.

I repeat: Each time Labour left office the economy was in good shape!!!!!

Yes, just look at some history, recent and not too recent.

I have and everything has been
in constant decline in the UK since
the early 1960's.

Nonsense!!!

We were the world leaders for engineering and
technology before, and now we don't build anything.

Nonsense! Even the Spitfire engine was built on US machine tools. In WW2,
British industry was so outdated we could not produce enough products
because of antiquated factories. The US supplied 1/3 of everything we used.
The UK hand built RR Merlin engines, the US built them under licence and
automated the process turning them out like wildfire.

The Tories are obsessed at keeping
a privileged class intact. Their main
aim.

Thats what all governments do.

The Tories "main aim" is to do that. Only the misinformed, ignorant or
sycophants vote for them. They keep the UK back.

who I decide to vote for is
of non of your concern,

As you are unaware of the major issues and recent political history it is
best you look at the points I highlighted for you above. Just go out and
vote New Labour. To steal a Tory party propaganda slogan, but this time

it
is reality, "You have never had it so good".

Labour by name, but not by nature. The
battles of the old Labour movement have
long since gone, so therefore Blair must
a Tory,

NONSENSE!!! Blair does believe in a meritocracy, not keeping a privileged
class intact - the Tories main aim (public schools Oxbridge crap running the
prime jobs in the country).

hence the reason why people cannot
tell the difference between what Blair
is saying and what Howard is saying.

Howard kept saying lair, and could not point to a lie. Ask him about the
future and he kept saying liar. They were totally negative with NOTHING to
offer, and should be drubbed and replaced by the LibDems.

See who funs the Labour party, much large business and very wealthy business
men and also small individuals. The Tories get large amounts for
"landowners". Says it all.

Anyone who say Labour have not done a great job in 8 years is a NUT!!!!

Tony Bryer May 5th 05 01:45 PM

In article ,
John_ZIZinvalid wrote:
Hmm. So why is Ford, Jaguar, and Peugeot all making redundancies,
and not to forget the suppliers.

Because they cannot keep up with the firms who are exporting cars from
the UK, principally Nissan, Honda, Toyota and BMW/Mini

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 01:47 PM

Doctor Evil wrote:
"John_ZIZinvalid" wrote in message

It means I can see what we Have now
and what we had for 18 years with the
amateurs.

Thankyou, you have just proved me
right, with your dismissive reply.

As you are somebody who bases there
opinions on history,

Very recent history. I also base it on
results which are superb. I also base
it on what the parties stand for and uphold too.

- The strongest economy in the western world
(9/11 made no difference to the
- UK economy, while most of the western
world went into recession)
- The strongest currency in the world

Why is this good if our manufacturing is in decline?

Are you mad? So being poor is the way. Duh! Never thought of that.

- The longest sustained economic growth in history.
- All major services have high investment
- More school leavers into higher education than ever before

Is this a good thing?

Yes.

- Much needed constitutional change
- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

Higher Education isn't always the
best thing for some people.

A highly educated population is the way for the country overall. No one
points a gun at your head and says "go you uni".

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 01:50 PM

wrote:

Nobody can sell abroad due to the high value of the pound.

"Nobody" ?

"THE number of cars produced for export reached record levels last
year according to official figures.

But with the number of vehicles made for the home market dipping more
than 9%, total UK car production in 2004 fell a fraction short of the
2003 total.

Cars made for export totalled 1,179,753 last year - 3.1% up on the
2003 figure, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said."

Hmm. So why is Ford, Jaguar, and Peugeot all making redundancies, and
not to forget the suppliers.

That wasn't the point which was:
Nobody can sell abroad due to the high value of the pound.

Which is ********.

[email protected] May 5th 05 02:36 PM

Doctor Evil wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

David Hearn wrote:

- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

Swam away from the other fishies I suppose ;-)

Higher Education isn't always the best
thing for some people. We've a
dire need for more plumbers and other
trades - however, we seem to be
encouraging everyone to get degrees etc -
implying that manual trades aren't worth anything.

Not only that, but you devalue higher education for all.

What tripe! People saying we should not have an educated population.
Countries with very high education standards always succeed: Japan, Germany,
etc.

The current 'success' of both Japan and Germany is, at the very least,
soemwhat open to debate at the moment.

--
Chris Green

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 02:45 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Tony Bryer wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

Might as well exclude the Cyprus Pound, the Barain Dinar, the Kuwait
Dinar, the Malta Liri, and the Omani Rial as well, since all of
these are worth *more* than a pound...

WADR you missed the point: in the last 3-4 years the A$ has
strengthened by about 20% v. sterling and nearer 50% v. US$, thus
making the claim that we have the strongest currency in the world
somewhat doubtful at best.

Tis OK, I understood what you ment.

You are not very bright are you?

John Rumm May 5th 05 02:46 PM

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

Might as well exclude the Cyprus Pound, the Barain Dinar, the Kuwait
Dinar, the Malta Liri, and the Omani Rial as well, since all of
these are worth *more* than a pound...

WADR you missed the point: in the last 3-4 years the A$ has
strengthened by about 20% v. sterling and nearer 50% v. US$, thus
making the claim that we have the strongest currency in the world
somewhat doubtful at best.

Tis OK, I understood what you ment. I susspected that drivel was looking
at it from the simpler perspective of exchange rates, so thought I may
as well point out that even looking from that angle he was still as
wrong as usual ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 02:47 PM

wrote in message ...
Doctor Evil wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

David Hearn wrote:

- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

Swam away from the other fishies I suppose ;-)

Higher Education isn't always the best
thing for some people. We've a
dire need for more plumbers and other
trades - however, we seem to be
encouraging everyone to get degrees etc -
implying that manual trades aren't worth anything.

Not only that, but you devalue higher education for all.

What tripe! People saying we
should not have an educated population.
Countries with very high education standards
always succeed: Japan, Germany, etc.

The current 'success' of both Japan
and Germany is, at the very least,
soemwhat open to debate at the moment.

The long term success of these countries was underpinned by high education.
I wouldn't say either are poor and underperforming.

John Rumm May 5th 05 02:49 PM

Huge wrote:

The claim is meaningless. Strongest against what? Measured how?

Besides, it is virtually impossible to buck the markets. If investors
think a currency is a good investment, its value will rise, and there
is little or nothing that Governments can do about it, other than whinge.

Well if they were really dumb they could sell gold by the yard and
plough it into euros to try to prop it up...

Oops, got a feeling someone did that a while back, now who was it? Oh
yes, prudence himself.

--
Cheers,

John.

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 04:35 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Evil
writes

6. He was shocked the other day when quite a lot of people told him
the NHS is no better than it was eight years ago, having recently
used the NHS I can say I have never previously been into such dirty
hospital in my life.

Having used it, and my family, over the past 5 years, I have have no
problems whatsoever, and the hospitals was clean. Nom lies.

Maybe mental hospitals are better

Tell us about them Maxie. Tell us the inside story.

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 04:36 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Evil
writes
You are kidding, right? We don't count the 8000+ redundancies from

anciliary
services to Rover (people who will be getting no help from the

government),

Well Rover and the fallout. Which was no surprise.

So you're saying that TB saw this coming and did nothing about it ?

Everyone else it coming. BTW, the government did put some money before the
problem.

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 04:41 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Evil
writes

- he is not bothered if we dont like
the fact that he lies to get his way,

Care to tel us what lies? Or is this
another make up from you?

Well, it's documented that he was
caught lying at school,

Maxie, that was because of the 1950s/60s Tory education policy.

He completely misrepresented
the intelligence given to him about Iraq's
military capabilities and he lied to cover up.

No misrepresentation or lies Maxie. Appalling to say. Appalling. Maxie,
watch yourself, children might be reading.

The real problem I have with
him, the real clincher, is that in the face
of overwhelming evidence, he refuses
to stand up and face the truth.

Maxie, the truth is out there. It is out there. Have you found it yet?

Luckily, dIMMs vote won't count either way

Maxie, Can Dim Lin, the oriental enchantress, vote here?

Doctor Evil May 5th 05 04:45 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Richard Faulkner
writes
In message , Doctor Evil
writes
The economy is brilliant,

I think you will find that it may not be as good as it seems - I am
convinced that the figures are spun to make it seem good.

I recall the last recession when there were announcements of
redundancies each week - this has begun.

I have noticed that Tony has actually started saying "If you dont like
me, or what I have done.... dont vote for me". How arrogant is that -
he is not bothered if we dont like the fact that he lies to get his
way, nor that he does not maintain his manifesto promises - go figure!!

http://www.dumpblair.co.uk/btactical.html

Hey Maxie. The Tories are really scraping the barrel on that web site.
Pathetic isn't it?

BTW, do you realise that we were
obliged to go to war at Bush's calling
(if this is to be believed)

I didn't believe it Maxie. I hope you never.

Bob Mannix May 5th 05 04:52 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message

David Hearn wrote:

- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

Swam away from the other fishies I suppose ;-)

Higher Education isn't always the best
thing for some people. We've a
dire need for more plumbers and other
trades - however, we seem to be
encouraging everyone to get degrees etc -
implying that manual trades aren't worth anything.

Not only that, but you devalue higher education for all.

What tripe! People saying we should not have an educated population.
Countries with very high education standards always succeed: Japan,

Germany,

Nobody said we shouldn't have an educated population. He was saying we don't
achieve the best results by forcing everyone into the universities (more or
less the only HEI's available now). There's more to education than "snotty
uni's" (one of your exprressions I believe), or at least there should be,
which is what he is saying. We are already in the situation where graduate
supply exceeds demand (in some areas) and where higher education IS becoming
devalued..

Universities should be elitist, an elitism based on the likely degree a
graduate will get, not on their ability to pay or what school they went to
(or snottyness), and we should bring back Polytechnics and technical
colleges, the output of which, in the past, has been what has fuelled
industry and the country's prosperity, to operate alongside them.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

John Rumm May 5th 05 06:14 PM

Bob Mannix wrote:

Nobody said we shouldn't have an educated population. He was saying we don't
achieve the best results by forcing everyone into the universities (more or

Universities should be elitist, an elitism based on the likely degree a
graduate will get, not on their ability to pay or what school they went to

Well said that man!

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm May 5th 05 06:19 PM

Doctor Evil wrote:

http://www.dumpblair.co.uk/btactical.html

Hey Maxie. The Tories are really scraping the barrel on that web site.
Pathetic isn't it?

You do realise it is a pro labour site and not a Tory one though?

No thought not...

go read it again - see why your comrades are so keen to dump the
embarrassment that purports to head the party.

--
Cheers,

John.

John_ZIZinvalid May 5th 05 07:44 PM

On Thu, 5 May 2005 13:50:56 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

Nobody can sell abroad due to the high value of the pound.

"Nobody" ?

"THE number of cars produced for export reached record levels last
year according to official figures.

But with the number of vehicles made for the home market dipping more
than 9%, total UK car production in 2004 fell a fraction short of the
2003 total.

Cars made for export totalled 1,179,753 last year - 3.1% up on the
2003 figure, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said."

Hmm. So why is Ford, Jaguar, and Peugeot all making redundancies, and
not to forget the suppliers.

That wasn't the point which was:
Nobody can sell abroad due to the high value of the pound.

I doubt it, all mentioned companies are constantly reviewing there
present status in this country, and only have factories in this
country due to a great deal of financial grants from the British
Government over many years.

Now the EU has made it illegal to provide such help, it be interesting
to see how long they last without closing the production lines and
moving everything to Hungary, Poland and so on. Cheap labour, and less
Tax means big profits. Many British companies have already done this,
and by the way the big German car companies have already started to
reduce the wage bill, and also asking staff to increase the hours of
work. They have already started to look at the eastern Europe to
produce cars, and reduce costs.

Which is ********.

You are loosing your argument and have now started to use crude
words and insults, which is a result of the low quality education
you had, most likely under Blair.

[email protected] May 5th 05 08:42 PM

David Hearn wrote:
Doctor Evil wrote:

A direct example is my wife - a nurse who will probably never have to

repay her student loan because her salary is so poor and will

probably
continue to be poor. She's under the old (Tory) system. If she was
under the new Labour system, she'd be repaying =A3200 per month for

her
loan, which is about 20% of her salary!

I should think so too! On what planet is it right that if she earns 1k
a month WE should pay for all her costs?

And what on earth has 1k/mo got to do with being poor? Talk about
getting real.

No wonder the number of nurses who after qualification stay with the

NHS
is at an all time low. At least before Labour came along, retention

was
higher (although fewer trained).

- Much needed constitutional change
- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

Higher Education isn't always the best thing for some people. We've

dire need for more plumbers and other trades - however, we seem to be

encouraging everyone to get degrees etc - implying that manual trades

aren't worth anything.

It doesnt imply that, in fact it means the exact opposite,
tradespeople's work will be worth MORE if there are less of us/them.

Plus - once people come out of Uni, they have
high debts, which means they cannot afford to become a low paid
apprentice in plumbing etc - whereas if they'd not done their degree
they may have been able to do that, spend those 3/4 years learning a
trade, and once qualified, earning very good money AND be debt free!

its a free world, they can choose whichever path they like. I dont see
how its bad to give them the choice of HE.

The big problem with so many going into HE is that degrees will become
junk grade, what is needed is not to change the standard of degree, but
to introduce new qualifications suited to those medium performers now
going to unis.

NT

Andy Hall May 5th 05 09:55 PM

wrote:

"John_ZIZinvalid" wrote in message
.. .

It means I can see what we Have now
and what we had for 18 years with the
amateurs.

Thankyou, you have just proved me
right, with your dismissive reply.

As you are somebody who bases there
opinions on history,

Very recent history. I also base it on results which are superb. I also base
it on what the parties stand for and uphold too.

- The strongest economy in the western world (9/11 made no difference to the
- UK economy, while most of the western world went into recession)

Wait to see what happens if Brown is re-elected.

- The strongest currency in the world

There is not much value in this.

- The longest sustained economic growth in history.

which is not as a result of any form of sound management and which is
about to come to an end because the government has been sandbagging it
artificially.

- All major services have high investment

Some major *public* services. Public sector employment has seen a
net increase over the last few years and that is always an indicator
of impending downfall.

- More school leavers into higher education than ever before

By reducing standards to achieve the numbers.

- Much needed constitutional change

Not needed at all and irrelevant.

- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

As above

- pre-scholl for 3 -5 year olds
etc
etc

Get your head out of your bum and look around. Anyone who doesn't vote
Labour needs professional attention.

Dear dear. Do you have your own brand of Koolade?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall May 5th 05 10:02 PM

On Thu, 5 May 2005 12:21:47 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

David Hearn wrote:

- 40% of scholl leavers into higher education

Swam away from the other fishies I suppose ;-)

Higher Education isn't always the best
thing for some people. We've a
dire need for more plumbers and other
trades - however, we seem to be
encouraging everyone to get degrees etc -
implying that manual trades aren't worth anything.

Not only that, but you devalue higher education for all.

What tripe! People saying we should not have an educated population.
Countries with very high education standards always succeed: Japan, Germany,
etc.

Education that is appropriate for the individual - not a one size fits
all with pass rates fiddled to achieve statistics.

The assumption has been the higher education equates to academia and
that therefore the standards should be adjusted to achieve the numbers
there.

the concept is bogus. Some people are simply not suited to it. It
doesn't serve them or the national interest.

Education should be to a high standard but in a range appropriate for
the individual - not dogmatic nonsense.

Andy Hall May 5th 05 10:04 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message

David Hearn wrote:

[...]

Exactly, and having the same perceived value but different in nature.